PDA

View Full Version : Another brackishwater tank Idea

freshwaterfishlover
02-14-2007, 07:41 PM
Since I never had a Brackishwater tank I was thinking of starting simple. I want to to make my 5 Gallon brackish. I have 7 Ghost Shrimp and 2 Cardinal Tetras in it. I would put the Ghost Shrimp in with my 20 Gallon with the frogs and Clams. I could also give away the 2 Cardinal Tetras.

I was thinking 3 Bumble bee Gobies. Small and don't grow big( want glassfish, but grow way to big for a 5 gallon) . What do you think?

Also are there and real Brackish water fish?

Freshwater Angels Saltwater Angels

Saltwater Gobies Brackishwater Gobies

Freshwater Glassfish Brackishwater Glassfish

Freshwater Mollies Brackishwater Mollies

Brackishwater Puffers saltwater Puffers

Incredulous_Ed
02-14-2007, 10:40 PM
I like the idea of the gobies but I'm not sure abot the other fish. I don't think cardinal tetras are suited to a brackish tank

Drumachine09
02-14-2007, 11:00 PM
I could also give away the 2 Cardinal Tetras

He said he could give them away.

Incredulous_Ed
02-14-2007, 11:08 PM
oh, sorry about that

freshwaterfishlover
02-14-2007, 11:30 PM
Yes everything not Brackish is going out Shrimp and Cardinals.

cocoa_pleco
02-15-2007, 12:06 AM
those archer fish are cool, they spit water at bugs. Theres eels and puffers too

kimmers318
02-15-2007, 02:06 AM
The smallest puffer you are likely to find is FW, the dwarf puffer. I am sure there are probably small BW or SW puffs also, but without much information available I doubt you are going to find them. Besides, even though 5 gal is often stated as MINIMUM size for dp's, they are active fish who I have seen personally not be too happy in a 5 over a 10.
There are a lot of BW fish, you just need to do the research. Make sure YOU know what the needs of a fish are because you can't always trust the LFS as I am sure you know. My modestus puffer was in BW and is a FW species. Thankfully the salinity was very low and doesn't seem to be having any effect on him as I bring him back to FW.
Those little gobies are adorable, if I ever do a BW tank I hope to have them, but with my love of puffers I have a feeling they won't be able to live here!