PDA

View Full Version : Forming pairs/colonies...and what to do with the others!

JWapenski
03-02-2009, 06:54 PM
Hi there,

I'm working on setting up a 75G Lake Tanganyika community tank and I believe I've narrowed down the list of species to my top 4 or so (A. Calvus, a school of Cyps, a pair of Julies, and a colony of shell dwellers...). I've been watching the fish at my local store, which are all very young and still tiny. Since it's impossible (for me, anyway) to identify males/females, I assume that I need to buy a group of fish in order for a pair to form (particularly for the Julies, right?). My question is, after I've spent all the $$$ on "extra" fish that I won't/can't keep, what do I do with them before they get killed off by the dominant male/pair? Do most stores take them back for some credit? What's the best way to end up with compatible pairs/groups without spending tons of money just to increase the probability of compatibility?

Thanks so much,
Jennifer

btate617
03-02-2009, 07:02 PM
Hi there,

I'm working on setting up a 75G Lake Tanganyika community tank and I believe I've narrowed down the list of species to my top 4 or so (A. Calvus, a school of Cyps, a pair of Julies, and a colony of shell dwellers...). I've been watching the fish at my local store, which are all very young and still tiny. Since it's impossible (for me, anyway) to identify males/females, I assume that I need to buy a group of fish in order for a pair to form (particularly for the Julies, right?). My question is, after I've spent all the $$$ on "extra" fish that I won't/can't keep, what do I do with them before they get killed off by the dominant male/pair? Do most stores take them back for some credit? What's the best way to end up with compatible pairs/groups without spending tons of money just to increase the probability of compatibility?

Thanks so much,
Jennifer

I only have a few minutes but will give a quick response. some stores will take fish for credit some won't. Ask where you get the fish from, speak to and get to know the fish manager that may help in the long run. Fish that are small yes you will need to buy groups to ensure you get both sexes. Be careful with calvus, they grow very slow but when they do get bigger they will snack on any smaller fish in the tank. Your calvus will be the smallest for a long time, but not forever. Once it get bigger it will def. help you with thinning out your population of fish. Hope that helps some, will try and add more when I have more time.

Brian

toddnbecka
03-02-2009, 07:58 PM
Most stores will give you credit for returned fish, but I wouldn't mix Cyp's with calvus. I've seen folks post that their calvus actually followed their Cyp's around and picked off the eggs when they spawned. As for the Julies they'll probably raise a fair number of fry regardless of their tankmates, the (probable) success of shellies depends on the species and tank setup.

btate617
03-02-2009, 08:03 PM
Also a big Cyp tank with larger numbers is quite impressive, But you have to pick other fish if any carefully.

toddnbecka
03-02-2009, 08:07 PM
Indeed, but a 75 is barely large enough for the smaller species of Cyp's, and completely unsuitable for "jumbo" species.

btate617
03-02-2009, 08:20 PM
With using a little judgement some could work, I didnt mean go out and buy as many as possible.

But a group of say cyprichromis leptosoma untinta would look and do great in a 75.

Brian

JWapenski
03-03-2009, 02:56 PM
Thanks so much for the input. I didn't realize cyps and calvus would be incompatible - I'd really like to have a pair of calvus, so are there any other suggestions for a more compatible species that could round out the community? Thanks!

toddnbecka
03-03-2009, 05:19 PM
One limiting factor is stocking is "floorspace", which is pretty crowded already with 3 different substrate spawners. There simply aren't many open-water dwelling Tang's, which is why rainbows are sometimes chosen to occupy the open areas. IME V. moorii juvies are also rather inclined to swim freely in the open water rather than hugging the rocks, but you wouldn't want a spawning pair of them becoming established in a community tank. They claim a large territory (half the tank) when spawning, and defend it quite aggressively.