PDA

View Full Version : Has my tank cycled?

jacoste
03-02-2009, 12:08 PM
OK, so this is my first tank, 3ft, 160L (about 40 gallons for all the Americans out there), tropical freshwater setup and I'm still very much a novice.

I'm not sure whether the tank has cycled yet. I've had fish in it for about three weeks and have been testing ammonia levels daily but it hasn't gotten above 0ppm. I just got nitrite and nitrate test kits today and the nitrites are also at 0 but the nitrates are at 5ppm and they wouldn't show up until towards the end of the cycle right?

I had the tank up and running for about a month before I could get some fish in there so would it have cycled during that time?

Thanks in advance.

Jacoste.

frizzlefish
03-02-2009, 02:12 PM
I had the tank up and running for about a month before I could get some fish in there so would it have cycled during that time?

Up and running by itself, without adding an ammonia source wouldn't have cycled the tank. If you added ammonia, get readings of 0 amm, 0 nitrites and now are seeing the nitrates at 5, then you're cycled.

fins_n_fur
03-02-2009, 02:17 PM
I'm going to hazard a guess that you haven't cycled. What do you have for fish in that tank? And what sort of testing kit are you using? Strips or drops?

bushwhacker
03-02-2009, 07:52 PM
i think fins n furs got this one right i doubt the tanks cycled keep a close eye on your parameters and be ready to do some large and frequent water changes

jacoste
03-03-2009, 08:49 AM
Thanks for your replies guys. I didn't think the tank could have cycled yet but I was a little thrown by the nitrates reading as everything I've read has said that they only show up towards the end of the cycle. I tested our tap water today though and it brought up the same reading so either it's just in the water already or this particular shade of light pinky purple is the 0 reading and not the totally clear the test claims.

All the tests I have are drop tests and I have half a dozen black neon tetras in the tank.