PDA

View Full Version : Keeping male and female betta's together.

douce101
03-02-2009, 12:24 AM
While I know it tends to be very hard to do so, who here has kept male and female bettas together for extended periods of time besides for just mating, without any or little trouble. What kind of advice could you give for doing so? Things like tank sizes, conditions, any qualities in the fish themselves that can help make this work, male and female ratios, ect ect. It's something i'd love to try and do, but i don't want to have anyone get hurt if I can help it of course.

s72450
03-02-2009, 02:21 AM
I've never tried this, not sure I'd want to risk it, but on another forum I saw how someone had two females and a male in a 10 gallon tank that was heavily planted with lots of hiding spots, they'd been living together for over a month with no signs of aggresive behavior so I guess it can be done.

Chicklet
03-02-2009, 01:50 PM
I'm certainly no expert on betta's and have not been at it all that long,
But I have 1 male crown tail with 4 females in a 10 gallon, For almost 2 weeks now. with no problems.

I have another male veil tail betta in a 20 gallon tank with 8 female betta's & a few bottom feeders, about 1 week now, no problems yet.

But I'm not to sure I'd recommend many people trying this, especially if you not there to monitor them.

I had another group that was going on two weeks and it's seems one of my females attacked him, I had to remove him promptly, he has a small scar on his head right now, If I had not been here monitoring its had to tell how bad it might have ended up, Most people work every day and that leaves alot of none monitoring along with sleeping time.

For the record, At this point I have no intentions of breeding/raising young Betta's either.

fishlover49
03-02-2009, 03:52 PM
I saw the "cutest" little female Betta ever yesterday. She was so little and looking all pathetic at me. :scry: She was in one of those little, dreaded cups. :scry: It was so hard to resist getting her, but I didn't want to chance putting her in with my male. I guess I need more smaller tanks. :scry: But, I was sure wondering at the time too if you could keep a male and female together for an extended time.