PDA

View Full Version : Boese questions

terrapin24h
03-01-2009, 06:59 PM
All--
My new 65 is pretty much done, but im looking for 1 last fish to add. I was thinking of some boesemani rainbows. They seem like a good fish and have lots of color. Just wondering about the group's opinion on compatibility with my current stock, here it is:
6 of each:
--rosy barbs(very peaceful, no nipping)
--buenos aires tetras(bicker with each other but leave others alone totally)
--Australian rainbows--do their own thing, sometimes hang with the tetras

1 3 spot blue gourami(pretty peaceful)
4 oto cats

any one see any issues with this stock? I was thinking of getting 3 or 4 and hoped they would school with my existing rainbows. I could do more if need be. Fire away! thanks

--chris

Kym a
03-02-2009, 11:37 AM
Hi Chris,
Boesemani Rainbows would loosely school with the other Rainbows, just bear in mind they can reach 5 inch and are very active as are all the Rainbows, depending on what type the other Rainbows you have may be fully stocked for a 65 gallon.

Kym

terrapin24h
03-02-2009, 04:41 PM
the rainbows i have a i got at petsmart. Splendidas austrailis is what they were tagged. I was thinking i might wait to see how large they get and what color they have(they are just starting to color up now after a month or so)

--chris

Lady Hobbs
03-02-2009, 04:50 PM
They get big and are very aggressive swimmers and dominate the tank.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/carolo/My%20Fish/splendia.jpg

terrapin24h
03-03-2009, 08:46 PM
Thanks hobbs, I think i'll wait to see how large my current bows get. I might just get some cardinals or glofish or something to add more color. My bows are just starting to color up but still look pretty faded. For that matter, i might just get more of them in time. Decisions Decisions.... :)

--chris

Lady Hobbs
03-04-2009, 05:51 AM
My plan is for boesemani's and turquoise together and my Splendida's with something else. The Splendida's are more lively, larger and more bossy. But! I also have more of them so their numbers could be making them more bossy. They'd also be much happier if they had a 125 gallon tank. :(

terrapin24h
03-04-2009, 04:36 PM
My plan is for boesemani's and turquoise together and my Splendida's with something else. The Splendida's are more lively, larger and more bossy. But! I also have more of them so their numbers could be making them more bossy. They'd also be much happier if they had a 125 gallon tank. :(

If it's not too much trouble, could i ask you to post a pic of your splendidas for a color refernece? I have some whose tails are going red and some are going yellow. I threw 5 glofish in the 65 last night and everyone *so far* seems to be leaving them be. If they last, i might get more. they add alot of pop to the tank, and "big blue"(my 3 spot gourami) couldn't care less about them. I am partial to a big school of cardinals.

thanks

--chris

fascinated by fish
03-04-2009, 04:47 PM
If you really wanted a rainbow fish, but didnt want anything too big or aggressive, then Id recommend the neon blue DWARF rainbows.
They arent as brightly coloured as other mature rainbows, but I think they are beautiful - silver base, but shimmer blue, green and purple. Males have bright red finnage, females have yellow finnage.
They are very peaceful, schooling fish and stay fairly small. They do best in groups of 3-5 minimum....but I only have 2 males because my tank is only 70litres and I have them with neons, guppies and cories - they are doing fine in the pair, and dont bother anyone else.

Lady Hobbs
03-04-2009, 04:49 PM
Good idea. Lovely little fish and don't get over 2 1/2 inches, I believe. You could get a bunch of those buggers.

terrapin24h
03-04-2009, 06:23 PM
I'll look into them(assuming i can find them locally). They sound similar to my buenos aires tetras, which have a silver body(that can have a blueish tint), red finnage, and a nice black stripe(mine are huge and mean lookin). I was looking for a color pop, hence the boese's. But maybe my rainbows i do have will get colorful enough(i keep finding different pics, some showing lots of color, others not so much) The glofish really added color to the tank. I might get 6 or 7 more of them, then do 12 or so cardinals, or maybe just more glofish yet. Problem with them is I tend to only see little ones for sale and need to grow them out in a separate tank, lest i know they would become food, or at least get beat up accidentally. I'll wait it out and see how they fare for a week or so.

Now that spare 30 gal in the attic is a whole other story...... :)

--chris

jaysee
03-11-2009, 03:58 AM
I LOVE my dwarf neons. I had a boesman in there for that "pop" but he just beat up on everyone in the school, so I returned him to the lfs. Funny thing is as soon as I removed him from the 20g, my rams got to work breeding. I put him in the 10g with feeders until I took him back, and he just beat them too.