PDA

View Full Version : royal pleco w/bristly cheeks

Crispy
03-01-2009, 07:52 AM
I've noticed my L191 is starting to get fuzzy, bristly cheeks... I know males get some wicked whiskers, but will females have any fuzz?? I got a few pics, but couldn't get the cheekpatch in focus to well...

angelcakes
03-01-2009, 09:24 AM
hiys crispy nice pics:19: are you sure its female? im getting the same on google about males having the whiskas
this what i found

Mature male L191s develop hairy bristles on the leading edges of the pectoral fins and on their gill covers known as odontodes does it help?

Crispy
03-01-2009, 02:14 PM
I know the males get some huge whiskers and it looks like mine is growing something. Just wondering if the females have any kind of bristles on the cheeks also?

Northernguy
03-02-2009, 02:24 AM
Sorry Crispy I have no idea.Never had one!
Great pics! I really do like the Royals.
Try asking Dave,he has one!thumbs2:

Deleted User
03-02-2009, 02:28 AM
He is a very nice looking royal Crispy. If my bristle nose are anything to go by. The males do grow some brisles on the cheeks. I have to be carful when netting the males as they tend to get stick in the netting by those. If the females have them they are far shorter. But as NG has said. Maybe Dave can tell you. :ssmile:

Crispy
03-02-2009, 03:30 AM
yeah, I talked to Dave... still too early to tell 100%, but I'm going to guess male since I see some bristles.

Northernguy
03-02-2009, 02:56 PM
Are you going to find it a mate and try to breed them?

Crispy
03-02-2009, 06:20 PM
Are you going to find it a mate and try to breed them?

not quite yet... they're a royal mess! Maybe after I get a nice big canister filter I could add another one... my tank is at it's limit right now and I'm very happy with it!

Northernguy
03-02-2009, 09:26 PM
Plecos are rediculous in that department!lol
My little bristle nose pollutes its 35gal. bottom in a couple if days.The whole bottom!lol I am beginning to regret the white sand but it looks great when its clean.It could also be the BBRs,They seem to drop their share too!:hmm3grin2orange: