PDA

View Full Version : betta pellets?

Slow Cheetah
03-01-2009, 07:27 AM
hey

are specifically formulated betta pellets all they need to eat? i have flake, granules and freeze dried blood worms also, but do they only really need the pellets with freeze dried blood worms 2 times a week?

cheers

angelcakes
03-01-2009, 09:26 AM
hikari betta bio gold floating pellets is what i use, and try frozen bloodworm instead of freeze dried theres more goodness in thesethumbs2:

Mvjnz
03-01-2009, 11:02 AM
I don't bother with the pellets anymore, none of my bettas have been able to fit them in their mouth, so I just feed fd bloodworms every day now.

But that diet would be fine.

Chicklet
03-01-2009, 12:53 PM
same as Mvjnz,....None of mine will eat the pellets unless I crumble them, They can't seem to swallow them. I've been feeding more Frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp, With some Freeze dried and flakes

fishlover49
03-01-2009, 03:19 PM
I use the Hikari Bio-Gold floating pellets, but get the baby ones. They are really tiny. My Betta loves them!! thumbs2:

Sir Tristen
03-01-2009, 05:51 PM
My betta eats flakes, frozen daphnia, and frozen bloodworms. He seems to do fine with all of the above.

lovleeko
03-01-2009, 06:22 PM
I don't bother with the pellets anymore, none of my bettas have been able to fit them in their mouth, so I just feed fd bloodworms every day now.

But that diet would be fine.

NEVER feed just freeze dried anything. It leads to constipation and early death from having no nutrition.

Yes pellets are all they need or a flake or both it doesn't matter. They need a staple diet and then the bloodworms if freeze dried should only be offered as a treat. I alternate between pellets and flakes everyday and then offer a treat (brine shrimp or bloodworms) once a week and then I let them fast one day a week.

Mvjnz
03-02-2009, 02:27 AM
That's what I heard, so I asked in a betta forum if this is true, and they said no it's not, it's fine to feed fd food all you want.

You can't feed them flakes and pellets every day if you wanna breed them, lots of breeders keep their bettas conditioned by feeding live or fd food every day. Obviously breeders would not do this if it was harmful, as most of them have very expensive fish that they wouldn't risk.

lovleeko
03-02-2009, 02:51 AM
That's what I heard, so I asked in a betta forum if this is true, and they said no it's not, it's fine to feed fd food all you want.

You can't feed them flakes and pellets every day if you wanna breed them, lots of breeders keep their bettas conditioned by feeding live or fd food every day. Obviously breeders would not do this if it was harmful, as most of them have very expensive fish that they wouldn't risk.

I know lots of breeders and none would recommend this at all. They get no nutrients really from freeze dried. Live food is a different story. I think we all know you can't just listen to anyone on forums. I'm not trying to be rude but FD food shouldn't be fed as a staple diet.

Mvjnz
03-02-2009, 03:51 AM
Well the breeders I know said it's fine, and judging from the fish they breed I would say they know what they are doing.

lovleeko
03-02-2009, 04:00 AM
Well the breeders I know said it's fine, and judging from the fish they breed I would say they know what they are doing.

Hey their your fish. Whatever you choose. You also would not be able to see by looking at someones fish if they are malnourished. So never go off of looks. My intention is only for bettas best interest. Since I am an enthusiast and hate the misinformation that everyone gets about them. But ultimately it lies with you to take care of them.

Here is a small article about freeze dried foods.

Many of the foods available as frozen foods also have a freeze-dried counterpart. These foods have all of the moisture extracted from them during processing so that they have a long shelf life and can be stored easily. Many worms, insect larvae, crustaceans, and meats are available in freeze dried forms. One disadvantage of freeze dried foods is that the freeze-drying process often strips vitamins from the food as well, so freeze dried foods are not likely to make a balanced and complete diet. Remember when feeding freeze-dried foods, that these foods can absorb a lot of water, and will fill up your fish a lot more than you would think when looking in the package. We recommend that you moisten freeze-dried foods before feeding them to your fish to keep your fish from overeating and making themselves sick.

Sharon
03-02-2009, 11:49 AM
I've had Bettas for awhile, but I'm certainly not an expert. However, it is my opinion from experience, that freeze dried food does cause them constipation and swim bladder issues. I think a varied diet is the key...I use pellets, flakes, frozen bloodworm, and peas.

Chicklet
03-02-2009, 01:38 PM
Humm I think I'm going to add peas to my betta's diets regularly too now, great idea sharon, thanks again!

I've heard you can raise your own live food, Wish I knew how or where I could get some starter for it, somewhere, somehow, someday I may spot me some or a way to start on my own, (Eyes open, ears listening)

Pandora
03-03-2009, 05:14 AM
I've had Bettas for awhile, but I'm certainly not an expert. However, it is my opinion from experience, that freeze dried food does cause them constipation and swim bladder issues. I think a varied diet is the key...I use pellets, flakes, frozen bloodworm, and peas.

We are the proud new owners of one very pretty betta, but have been trouble getting him to eat. He ignores flakes and shrimp pellets, but does like fd bloodworms. Until I read this thread I was thinking I had solved my problem! I havn't yet been able to source frozen bloodworms, but will keep looking. What else can we try, and how do you prepare the peas?

lovleeko
03-03-2009, 06:23 AM
We are the proud new owners of one very pretty betta, but have been trouble getting him to eat. He ignores flakes and shrimp pellets, but does like fd bloodworms. Until I read this thread I was thinking I had solved my problem! I havn't yet been able to source frozen bloodworms, but will keep looking. What else can we try, and how do you prepare the peas?
Congrats. Yeah it is sort of like us wanting burger king instead of baked chicken. LOL You could try pellets. My bettas will not take peas. they tend to be very picky. Have you tried pellets. I have some bettas who wont eat pellets and some who wont eat flakes. If you keep offering the foods eventually you will be able to offer them the original thing they did not like. Sometimes it takes a while for them to settle in also.

Gemini
03-03-2009, 06:34 AM
I've heard you can raise your own live food, Wish I knew how or where I could get some starter for it, somewhere, somehow, someday I may spot me some or a way to start on my own, (Eyes open, ears listening)
Check out Dave66's blog - I know he's written something on raising your own worms, daphnia etc.

Pandora
03-03-2009, 11:42 AM
Congrats. Yeah it is sort of like us wanting burger king instead of baked chicken. LOL You could try pellets. My bettas will not take peas. they tend to be very picky. Have you tried pellets. I have some bettas who wont eat pellets and some who wont eat flakes. If you keep offering the foods eventually you will be able to offer them the original thing they did not like. Sometimes it takes a while for them to settle in also.

Thanks. This afternoon I crushed a shrimp pellet so that it floated on the surface. A bit more to his liking! Maybe if I crush the betta pellets.....
You know, even my kids aren't this fussy!

lovleeko
03-03-2009, 05:05 PM
Thanks. This afternoon I crushed a shrimp pellet so that it floated on the surface. A bit more to his liking! Maybe if I crush the betta pellets.....
You know, even my kids aren't this fussy!
Typical betta behavior. LOL They think they are so above other fish they need to watch their owners jump through hoops to please them to live a fully content life. LOL For me, my bettas who live in community tanks are way less picky. I think it is the instinct to fight for food if you get what I mean. And they just gobble up whatever is offered. Now the bettas who are king of their tanks think they are also king of the world.

Betta dialog "CRUSH MY FOOD BEFORE IT IS OFFERED, NOW! DO I LOOK LIKE ONE OF THOSE PEaSANT FISH YOU FEED?":hmm3grin2orange:

sk8rsquirrel
04-11-2009, 05:46 PM
Having raised a ton of Bettas for 30 years, they have different personalities, sounds crazy, but to me they do along with their eating habits. I have some that do fine with pellets, and others that prefer flakes, and others that really like the live stuff. Like any fish, watch their poop. If you have problems with floaters, that may be due to constipation, change their food.

Sarkazmo
05-04-2009, 06:28 AM
I've been feeding Tetramin Tropical flakes, Hikari Betta Bio-Gold (these are TINY floating balls), Wardley Betta food (balls are too big for my Betta to swallow), Freezedried Blood Worms (Sancho loves these along with the Hikari), and Tetra SUN dried Baby Shrimp (Gammarus). He doesn't seem to like the Baby Shrimp though. I like to give a good selection and Sancho's very happy and healthy from what I can see. He LOVES the Hikari though! That stuff is like a drug for 'im. He'll chase it down immediately. I think that variety is the key. Find a few things they'll eat and vary the selection often.

Have any of you tried Fairy Shrimp??? They're easy to hatch and live in fresh water so you wouldn't have to worry about them dying and polluting the water if not eaten immediately like Brine Shrimp. There's a few sellers on eBay that market them toward Betta and Killifish keepers. Plus if they get large enough that they're too big to eat they'll act as scavengers and help clean the tank.

Sark