PDA

View Full Version : New Female Betta

Ghostknife
03-01-2009, 04:53 AM
I bought a new female Betta today, I called her Chica!

She is intended to mate with my male, Paddy. Hope it works. She is a lovely dark red one. I think she might be too young though.

Any ideas on how to get them going? I have them in seperate tanks beside each other. Paddy is just flaring up and Chica is not sure whats going on I think.

People talk about the female tube that protrudes, is it white by any chance? How long does it get?

Thanks! Paddy and Chica appreciate your help!

Mvjnz
03-01-2009, 06:21 AM
Where did you get them? If they are VT's from the pet store I would not recommend breeding them. The effort and time put into won't be worth it for the money you'll get back for them, not to mention that most of them will end up in tiny bowls.

I'd only recommend breeding bettas that enthusiasts would be interested in buying, because you get more money back and you know they will have good homes.

If they are that type of bettas, then I would recommend googling how to breed them first of all, and make sure you have fry food ready and enough containers for the males. Crazy clark's have 5 litre ones for $2 each or so if you need more.

I'd start with conditioning them with lots of live and frozen food for about two weeks first, then putting the female in a see through container and put it in the males tank so they can see each other. When the male has built a bubble nest and the female is displaying vertical bars they are ready to breed.

Ghostknife
03-01-2009, 06:59 AM
Hmm? What do you mean by 'If they are VT's?' Whats a VT?
The male is the one in my avatar, and the female is just a smaller red one. She was only $8.50 so maybe that will indicate the kind she is!
I have started feeding them frozen blood worms, and they are already looking at each other. The nest is all made up also. But I cannot see what vertical lines you are talking about. Someone mentioned a form of tube coming out?

Mvjnz
03-01-2009, 07:30 AM
A VT is a veil tail, the most common type you get at the pet store. The other thing about pet store bettas is that you have no idea how old they are, so they might be past the best age for breeding.

The tube isn't a sure sign, because a lot of them display the tube all the time.

I'd definitely keep them seperate for at least a month, to quarantine the female.

Ghostknife
03-01-2009, 07:33 AM
Cool, well they are both Veil Tail!
I think Paddy is getting past it though, but I suppose if he is blowing a nest still, then its a good sign! I got that info from another site.

Well, I will see what happens, if the nest is blown any more etc. I will keep you updated.

Cheers

Oh and if you have any other idease then please let me know!!! Thanks again

Chicklet
03-01-2009, 01:00 PM
I thought about trying my hand at breeding Betta's but I decided against it,
Theirs to many out there already that suffers needlessly, and your looking at one heck of a lot of babies if your successful, I don't think most people can accomadate that many, What if, Just think, What if you have 50 or 100 males, are you really prepared for that? kinda shameful to bring them in the world just to watch them die..

I just think it's something that shouldn't be taken so lightly, Fish or not, a life is still a life. Just besure this is what you really need to do before doing it

Ghostknife
03-02-2009, 09:33 PM
I thought about trying my hand at breeding Betta's but I decided against it,
Theirs to many out there already that suffers needlessly, and your looking at one heck of a lot of babies if your successful, I don't think most people can accomadate that many, What if, Just think, What if you have 50 or 100 males, are you really prepared for that? kinda shameful to bring them in the world just to watch them die..

I just think it's something that shouldn't be taken so lightly, Fish or not, a life is still a life. Just besure this is what you really need to do before doing it

Hey Chicklet, I wouldn't breed them to see them die. I am doing my research before hand so I hope to get it right. I can sort out homes for alot of them, as I have people in work interested in owning a few. Whatever ones I cannot get rid of on my own, will hopefully go to my LFS. Except of course a few which I will keep. I have at the minute two empty tanks and will happily buy a few more, as they are relatively inexpensive.

I do understand where you are coming from, I wouldn't like to see them suffer, but that is not my plan.

Cheers