PDA

View Full Version : FO Tank Help

kaianuanu
03-01-2009, 12:48 AM
I am planning on starting a Fish Only setupthumbs2: not a FOWLR setup(LR=$$$), But I need some things explained to me first. Could a 55 gallon with the following conditions work?:

-HOB power filtration(mainly for circulation)
-crushed coral substrate
-salinity targeting a specific gravity of 1.018
-a rectangular triggerfish and maybe a few suitable tankmates

Could this work? Im working on a DIY protein skimmer, could add the skimmer a week or 2 after i start the tank? Also, What kinds of fish can be kept with the rectangular triggerfish(i was thinking 1 or 2 wrasses)?

AABatteries
03-01-2009, 01:02 AM
First of all; research, research, research! Its more valuable than anything you'll buy for your tank.

HOB current - insuffcient, I would get two Koralia 1's or 2's.
crushed coral substrate - I'm using it in the tank I just set-up a matter of hours ago, be sure to wash it well. Lol. Other than clouding its okay.
SG of 1.018 - That's no where near high enough, it should be between 1.020 and 1.025, more on the high side.
triggerfish - I'm not 100% about this mainly because I've never researched them, I'd say a 55 is too small. EDIT: My hypothesis was correct. Just looked it up and, 55g is too small, 75g minimum. EDIT 2: Just read a little more, you COULD get by with one in a 55g, but it wouldn't be the best.

Tigerbarb
03-01-2009, 01:39 AM
I wouldn't put a Trigger of any kind in a 55g, but you could get a trigger as a growout fish and trade it for a smaller trigger once it gets too big.
Research all the different kinds of equipment you'll need for a marine system. While a good-sized HOB filter will provide your tank with surface agitation, you'll also need a few powerheads for current. Maxi-jet powerheads are great for current, but Koralias, from what I've heard, are alot better.

Also, if you are new to the marine hobby, I wouldn't even try it without live rock. Live rock will be your tank's primary filtration system, and it provides your fish with a natrual aquascape with plenty of hiding places.
Don't worry... there are ways to save money on live rock. One suggestion would be to purchase mainly dead rock for your tank, and put in a small amount of live rock, and wait a while, and the organisms on the live rock will soon grow onto the dead rock. You'll want to have a total of atleast 50 lbs of live rock in your tank, to provide your system with adequate biological filtration, so I'd go with about 40-45 lbs dead rock and 5-10 lbs live rock...although if you are impatient, and want your rock to finish seeding faster, I'd reccomend 50% dead rock and 50% live rock.

For substrate, crushed coral is fine, as long as you don't ever plan on keeping any sand-dwellers.

kaianuanu
03-01-2009, 01:46 AM
i have been doing research on and off for the last year. Still, i don't claim to be very knowledgeable. I love crushed coral, i use it in all my freshwater tanks,i agree that the only downside is clouding. I guess i'll target an SG of 1.023. Also, is it ok if i wash my crushed coral with tap water, and ifit is moist with the tapwater before i add my seawater? Aso, can you confirm with me that distilled water is ok for mixing my seawater?

Tigerbarb
03-01-2009, 01:50 AM
i have been doing research on and off for the last year. Still, i don't claim to be very knowledgeable. I love crushed coral, i use it in all my freshwater tanks,i agree that the only downside is clouding. I guess i'll target an SG of 1.023. Also, is it ok if i wash my crushed coral with tap water, and i it is moist with the tapwater before i add my seawater? Aso, can you confirm with me that distilled water is ok for mixing my seawater? I'm not sure if the chlorine from tap water will soak into your crushed coral or not, but I do know that distilled water is fine for mixing seawater.

Tigerbarb

kaianuanu
03-01-2009, 01:52 AM
hey, do you know about how much it would cost to fill my 55 with distilled water from the supermarket?

Tigerbarb
03-01-2009, 01:54 AM
hey, do you know about how much it would cost to fill my 55 with distilled water from the supermarket?It could cost about $55 to fill up your tank with distilled water, if the prices are the same down there. I'd go with RO water out of one of those machines in the supermarket, as that will save you money.

kaianuanu
03-01-2009, 01:57 AM
you mean the big machines that look kinda like soda machines? And they use big blue 10gallon jugs?

Tigerbarb
03-01-2009, 02:03 AM
you mean the big machines that look kinda like soda machines? And they use big blue 10gallon jugs?Yeah, those.

Tigerbarb

kaianuanu
03-01-2009, 02:09 AM
how much is it to fill those jugs? And how much do the jugs cost?

AABatteries
03-01-2009, 02:14 AM
If its distilla brand, I'm pretty sure the jugs are $7 or $8 with $2 refills.

kaybee
03-01-2009, 02:16 AM
While I keep a trigger (same genus as the one you're interested in) in an FO system, I generally agree with what has already been stated.

FO systems present certain challenges that typically aren't encountered in FOWLR/REEF systems or are at least easier to overcome in said systems. While going FO can be done it is probably not the best way to start out with.

In order to maintain a FO system, an understanding of how to compensate for the absence of live rock in terms of biological filtration, nitrate control, and (excess) nutrients control is required (in addition to the general saltwater aquarium research already done or planned).

Are you set on getting the trigger? They're closely related to puffers (as well as similar in behavior and dietary requirements, though rhinecanthus sp. triggers are a lot more powerful), but you do have the option to go the brackish route and get two green spotted puffers for the 55gal.

labnjab
Walmart is 33 cents a gallon, but I would opt for the green capped ro/di gallon jugs from walmart. Its a little more but pays off. They have a bad reputation of not maintaining those machines which may give you high phosphates and algae problems.

I would keep an eye out of craigslist for live rock. I found 50lbs of LR and 50lbs of live sand for $120 from someone breaking down the tank.

kaianuanu
oh jeez, thats another 50 buck i have to spend, and on jugs of all things.

kaybee
03-01-2009, 02:22 AM
An RO/DI unit would be cheaper in the long run. And involves no jugs or trips.

kaianuanu
03-01-2009, 02:24 AM
how much are those?

labnjab
03-01-2009, 02:28 AM
I just bought a brand new 4 stage ro/di for $82 including shipping, which will be here Monday

(http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=38522)

kaianuanu
03-01-2009, 02:32 AM
what is the cheapest way to go on one of those?

labnjab
03-01-2009, 02:33 AM
I just got one from this company http://www.purewaterclub.com/ and its about the cheapest I've found. I know a few people that use them and have been happy with them

kaianuanu
03-01-2009, 02:39 AM
if somehow i could convince my parents that it would help them to get a couple of powerheads and 6 10 gallon jugs

AABatteries
03-01-2009, 02:41 AM
Why one earth are they against powerheads?

kaianuanu
03-01-2009, 02:45 AM
they say the U.S. is a free country, then why do dictators rule houses?

AABatteries
03-01-2009, 02:48 AM
My parents used to be completely against saltwater, I know how you feel. My parents claim that the Constitution doesn't apply to you until you're 18, which is not true as long as you were born in the U.S. But until you're 18 your parents can rule over you.

kaianuanu
03-01-2009, 02:58 AM
mY parents were both raised in the aquarium hobby, not saltwater though. But still, they are always talking about how they want a saltwater tank in our livingroom, they know how hard saktwater is but they really don't know anything about it. if i can decide if im willing to leave the tank in our livingroom:( i guess i will be able to squeeze the money out of them.

kaianuanu
03-01-2009, 03:00 AM
PS: Is there a species of trigger that can be kept in brackish?

Tigerbarb
03-01-2009, 03:28 AM
mY parents were both raised in the aquarium hobby, not saltwater though. But still, they are always talking about how they want a saltwater tank in our livingroom, they know how hard saktwater is but they really don't know anything about it. if i can decide if im willing to leave the tank in our livingroom:( i guess i will be able to squeeze the money out of them.The best thing you can do is to get your parents really excited about the hobby. I know my parents really didn't like the idea of saltwater, but as soon as the tank was almost done cycling, they were all excited and they wouldn't stop asking me when I could go and get fish... Now, they love my tomato clown, and my mom even cried when one of my fish died. Recently, I've actually been trying to get them less-interested in my tank :hmm3grin2orange:

travie
03-01-2009, 03:35 AM
PS: Is there a species of trigger that can be kept in brackish?

I've never heard of a trigger that can be kept in brackish water.

kaianuanu
03-01-2009, 03:39 AM
yea, their not buying it anymore, i guess i'll wait a week or so then bring up the topic w/ them again.

Tigerbarb
03-01-2009, 05:27 AM
yea, their not buying it anymore, i guess i'll wait a week or so then bring up the topic w/ them again. Have you thought about saving up your own money before? If it sounds like that would take a long time, you could always break down the cost of the setup over a period of a year or so, and slowly collect equipment. You could also lower the cost of the setup by purchasing some of the equipment used.
Lol, I know that my parents wouldn't even buy me a coke :P

Tigerbarb

cocoa_pleco
03-01-2009, 05:32 AM
lol, my parents bought me my 125g, my house and my car:14:

AABatteries
03-01-2009, 05:37 AM
Took me 6 months of bothering my parents until they finally allowed me. My mom is with me on it. She even did some research of her own. And my dad could care less now that I've started it. Guess he'll just have to grow to like it. And my grandma is willing to buy some fish, I'll have her get me a pair of tank-raised ocellaris clowns for $50. :hmm3grin2orange:

labnjab
03-01-2009, 05:39 AM
wow $50 for tank raised o-clowns, thats high. I got my pair for $25, lol. I had to sell a snowmobile to get the funds to get our tank going:hmm3grin2orange:

kaianuanu
03-01-2009, 04:12 PM
Have you thought about saving up your own money before? If it sounds like that would take a long time, you could always break down the cost of the setup over a period of a year or so, and slowly collect equipment. You could also lower the cost of the setup by purchasing some of the equipment used.
Lol, I know that my parents wouldn't even buy me a coke :P

Tigerbarb

i'll do that, while im still working it out of them. But still, me and my bro just built a little wall around our gardens out of pavers, but still, we only got a ride to the lfs, talk about being cheap. but yea, i was just looking on craigslist for protein skimmers, do you know a really easy pvc design for a DIY protein skimmer? Anyway, i need to work a skimmer, a couple of powerheads, and six 10 gallon jugs for RO water.

kaianuanu
03-01-2009, 04:15 PM
lol, my parents bought me my 125g, my house and my car:14:

you can shut up:stongue: