PDA

View Full Version : Random Boesemani Rainbow deaths

domjd05
02-28-2009, 03:45 PM
I had two of these in my community tank, great fish, very active and colorful. One was full grown and the other was just a few months behind it, my water parameters are all in check, haven't changed anything in my water change routine that would shock them, but out of nowhere I came home and one of them is dead... that night I fed the tank, and the larger one is flipping out jumping, swimming erratically, and pretty much in all out freak out mode... two days later he died too.. I can't figure out why?

Lady Hobbs
02-28-2009, 05:25 PM
You have not mentioned your tests and what you get in ammonia, nitrites, nitrates but said "in check". That is rather vague so leaves one to guess they must be 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and less than 20 nitrates?

Even perfect test results still mean water changes on schedule. The water can be stale, lacking in oxygen and nasty so please add your water change schedule, too. Thanks

Jellygirl
03-01-2009, 12:15 PM
Sorry to hear of your recent unexpected losses.

As Hobbs has said, it is always helpful during times of unexpected sudden deaths to post the water parameters. I hope the rest of the fish remain fine for you.

domjd05
03-28-2009, 11:48 AM
Sorry I was in a hurry, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate were all 0 PH when I last tested was 6.8, and I do 50% weekly water changes, I never miss a beat when it comes to maintaining my tanks.

Lady Hobbs
03-28-2009, 11:51 AM
What temp is your tank because rainbows like cooler water.

Sorry you've lost your boesemani. I've found mine to be very hardy and constantly spawning and I have hard water with a pH of 7.6. Heat they do not like, tho.

domjd05
03-28-2009, 01:21 PM
hmm temp was 78-80, water just barely registers as "hard" on the test strips, I thought it was strange that they both went in the same 48 hours, but all the other fish were ok..

Lady Hobbs
03-29-2009, 06:37 PM
Tank Conditions: 72-77°

I keep my bows at 74. It just might make a difference.

domjd05
03-30-2009, 08:21 PM
I see.. thanks for the advice. I won't be getting anymore I'm turning the tank into a south american style community tank.