PDA

View Full Version : identify and help with algae !

Slow Cheetah
02-28-2009, 07:52 AM
hi

i have started getting this algae in my aquarium only a bit on ornament leaves and a bit on fake plants. just wondering if you guys could tell what kind of algae it is and what i can do to stop it from spreading further.

thanks in advance

Slow Cheetah
02-28-2009, 08:30 AM
EDIT: i read the primer by dave and it sorta looks like black brush algae? am i right?

Dave66
02-28-2009, 09:01 AM
You are, Cheetah. Do half-doses of Excel so you don't stress your fish.

Dave

Slow Cheetah
03-01-2009, 07:30 AM
dave66,

i was unable to get flourish excel, and will not be able to search for it until next week at least. should i keep lights off, or on longer than usual? rinse ornaments? what are some methods to keeping the algae to a minimum?

smaug
03-01-2009, 01:22 PM
The best bet with bba is to kill it now as fast as possible.If it is just on the ornaments,then take them out and do a mild [20;1]bleach soak for a few minutes,rinse well and put them back.If this stuff gets a foot hold it is horrible to erradicate.No algaecide kills it,it cant really be scraped off with your hands.What type lights do you have and how long do you keep them on?

Slow Cheetah
03-02-2009, 07:21 AM
is any type of bleach able to be used??

my lighting is a 11 Watt PL light. (what does PL stand for?)

and i have been keeping it on for approx 7-7.5 hours a weekday

and around 9 hours on weekends

smaug
03-02-2009, 10:56 PM
is any type of bleach able to be used??

my lighting is a 11 Watt PL light. (what does PL stand for?)

and i have been keeping it on for approx 7-7.5 hours a weekday

and around 9 hours on weekends
Just normal houshold bleach.Is your light a screw in type bulb or fluorecent?

Slow Cheetah
03-03-2009, 04:38 AM
it came in built in a overhead.

its a fluorecent

PUNISHER VETTE
03-03-2009, 04:46 AM
lol you're DOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEDDDDDDD

:14:

smaug
03-03-2009, 11:03 PM
yes as PV stated your oh so DOOOOOOOOOOMMMMEEEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD.
Seriously,thats not alot of light and that can cause algae issues all its own.Although the plants you have are not very light hungry,Im afraid they still need more then that.If you can upgrade to something a little better.something you can get the correct spectrum and slightly higher output 15-20 watt you could keep a few plants such as you already have.Have you looked into some of the better quality silk plants for aquarium use,they are very nice and in the right settings can hardly be distinguished from the real thing.