PDA

View Full Version : What plant is this?

Scuba Guy
02-13-2007, 02:15 PM
What is the name of this plant? As usual, I buy them without learning their names.

This plant grows like a weed. I am wondering if it is out-competing my other plants for nutrients.

cocoa_pleco
02-13-2007, 02:59 PM
i have a 1 out of 100 guess at getting it right, but duckweed maybe? no idea

*Sarah*
02-13-2007, 03:14 PM
I have no clue what it is, but it looks nice and healthy!

Scuba Guy
02-13-2007, 05:59 PM
It's not duckweed - it grows next to the bottom with roots. Spreads like crazy.

Incredulous_Ed
02-13-2007, 09:27 PM
i have a 1 out of 100 guess at getting it right, but duckweed maybe? no idea
No, it's not duckweed, duckweed is a floating plant

Slinky_Bass
02-13-2007, 09:31 PM
It kind of looks like Hemianthus micranthemoides, check out this link:

http://www.birstall.co.uk/products/wnr182.html

Incredulous_Ed
02-13-2007, 09:34 PM
it could be a ludwigia arcuata
it looks like it also might be a heteranthera zosterifolia
but im not sure
perhaps you could get another pic?

Scuba Guy
02-13-2007, 11:22 PM
Hemianthus micranthemoides

I think SlinkyBass is correct. It sure looks like that. It is carpeting my aquarium bottom. I like it, but it may be removing a ton of nutrients.

cocoa_pleco
02-13-2007, 11:27 PM
dang, so its not duckweed. Oh yeah, duckweed does float

Lady Hobbs
02-14-2007, 12:44 AM
You plants look great. Perhaps this big plant needs some plant spikes so it isn't taking from the others. I asked in another thread but didn't get an answer. What's the name of the red plant?

cocoa_pleco
02-14-2007, 01:13 AM
the only red plant i know is red ludwiga

Incredulous_Ed
02-14-2007, 04:56 AM
hobbs, I believe it is tiger lotus, i think part of the scientific name is nymphaea

Lady Hobbs
02-14-2007, 01:05 PM
Thanks Ed.

Slinky_Bass
02-15-2007, 08:47 AM
I like it, but it may be removing a ton of nutrients.

I had the same with my giant hygrophila, it grew like a weed, it is a weed, and even though it looked nice and full and green, after a while there was just too much of it, and my other plants were looking a bit stunted and pale.

I went on a de-hygrophying mission and now I have only one big one at the back of my tank, obscuring both the intake pipe and the heater. Now my remaining plants are looking much better, my old amazon sword has a whole bunch of new leaves, the java ferns are a nice bright, forest green, etc. etc.

I agree, the hemianthus does look very nice carpeting the bottom, but don't be scared to trim it down maybe. Or, depending on your water parameters and PWC schedule, you could change slightly less water and allow your plants to use the rest of the organic waste. Or, as Hobbs suggested, try those stick fertilizers for the larger show plants.

On another note, I remember you posting somewhere that your tiger lotus was getting thin patches and sort of holes on it's leaves... you have a pleco right? I'm 99% sure he's the culprit.

I noticed the same things on the leaves of my Echinodorus Amazonicus, Osiris, and X barthii. I removed the Osiris and replanted it in another tank and it was fine, but the thin patched continued to appear on the other two plants. Now although I've never seen him do it, I'm sure it was my pleco Arnie, because I'd notice the outer leaves of said plants looking especially ratty on the nights I did'nt feed him zucchinni or cucumber. I now feed him extra algae wafers and either zucchinni or cucumber every night and no new leaves are showing signs of holes/wear.

So....if you're still experiencing that problem, despite adding fertilizer etc. try feeding your pleco more, and feed him blanched veggies every evening and see if those patched continue to appear.

Just have to say SG, LOVELY tank, all those plants and angels look beautiful together.

Scuba Guy
02-15-2007, 02:03 PM
Thanks - I've seen so many pictures of lush green tanks that I wanted to give it a try.

Lady Hobbs
02-15-2007, 02:15 PM
http://www.azgardens.com/newaquar2.php

I love this place for plants and will probably order mine from there. If nothing else, it's a good identifier to what you may already have.