PDA

View Full Version : I need some help with SPOTS!

Goldy_Locks
02-13-2007, 04:09 AM
I have a 30 gal tank with feeder goldfish (real high class I know...but they are most for my kids). The biggest one in the tank has developed black spots on it's sides. I have researched and researched but can't find anything close. Everything I find documented is on Ich and this isn't Ich.

The black spots are not fuzzy. They do not appear to be parasites. It is only affecting one fish at this time. He was pretty listless when it started the day before yesterday. Yesterday he acted like felt fine (but the spots stayed the same) and today he's not doing so well.

He has an arched back and will lay at the bottom of the tank when not feeding or disturbed. He holds all of his fins close to his body.

Please Help! Any suggestions would be appreciated :)

Oh yeah and I tested the water and it all seems to be just fine. The alkalinity is between moderate and ideal.

Drumachine09
02-13-2007, 04:10 AM
I cant really help you with that one. My guess is that he is just aquiring coloration.

Welcome to the A.C.!

Chrona
02-13-2007, 04:23 AM
How big are the spots on comparison to the fish? I'm gonna agree with Drum on the coloration, as I've seen one of my feeders (they are like 8 inches long now) slowly change to half black, and then back depending on my lighting.

As for the clamped fins and the listless behaviour, I think they may be symptoms of something else. How are the other fish doing? And how much lighting do you have on the tank?

cocoa_pleco
02-13-2007, 04:47 AM
i had the black thing too on some of my goldies, and i heard that its normal. The other symptoms dont sound too good though

kimmers318
02-13-2007, 05:22 AM
Oh yeah and I tested the water and it all seems to be just fine. The alkalinity is between moderate and ideal.[/quote]

Ich is definitely NOT black spots! Testing your water for alkalinity is not exactly what we are looking for. We need water tests for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels. One of these 3 usually are the cause for most fish issues.
How long has this tank been running, when did you add fish, what size is the tank, how many fish, what type, what type of filter are you using, what is your water change schedule?????? I know it sounds like I am asking for alot, but everyone of those issues can lead to illness if they are not done correctly, knowing all of this information will give us a much better idea of what you are dealing with to help you.