PDA

View Full Version : cycling with established tank gunk.

frizzlefish
02-26-2009, 06:27 PM
So, let me get this straight.

I've got a mini bow 5 gallon for my kids. I've got filter media in 2 other tanks, established for almost 2 years now.

I put in the little filter on the 5 gallon, take a wonderfully gunk-filled media filter pad from the 60g and swish it in the 5 gallon so that bacteria gets the tank all brown and instant cycle?

Is that it?

That sounds WAY too easy!

Crispy
02-26-2009, 06:30 PM
I put in the little filter on the 5 gallon, take a wonderfully gunk-filled media filter pad from the 60g and swish it in the 5 gallon so that bacteria gets the tank all brown and instant cycle?
Is that it?
That sounds WAY too easy!

instead of getting all that debris in your new tank, you should have cut off a piece of old media to fit the new filter. That would give you an instant cycle.
Now, the new filter has to suck up all the gunk from the old media and 'seed' itself. Not sure if thats going to work instantly, but I think it will take some time doing it your way.

Fishalicious
02-26-2009, 06:31 PM
It's the way I have been doing it for years and I just did another tank this way last week... squeeze out the brown gunk from a filter sponge....water turns horrid - the filter filters the tank clean within 12 hours. Suck up the excess mulm from the gunk that has landed on the substrate once cleared and you are ready to stock.

Rue
02-26-2009, 06:38 PM
Sounds about right! Leave the 'old' sponge in the new tank for a good while...

frizzlefish
02-26-2009, 06:54 PM
It's the way I have been doing it for years and I just did another tank this way last week... squeeze out the brown gunk from a filter sponge....water turns horrid - the filter filters the tank clean within 12 hours. Suck up the excess mulm from the gunk that has landed on the substrate once cleared and you are ready to stock.

Wow. Compared to the fishless cycle I did to get the big tank set up, that seems like cheating!

Ok, I'll give it a go then and test the waters tonight once it's cleared a bit.

Now, what to put in it! thumbs2:

frizzlefish
02-27-2009, 11:11 AM
Unbelieveable

0 amm. 0 nitrites. 5 nitrates. ph7.0

Wow.