PDA

View Full Version : Do I really need to have sand only?

frizzlefish
02-26-2009, 03:42 PM
I want to put some pitbull plecos in the 60g tank but yesterday the gal at TPP told me gravel wouldn't do, just sand for them? Really?

I actually was thinking about switching out the gravel in that tank to sand but was leaning toward spring for the outside cleaning bit and all.

btate617
02-26-2009, 03:50 PM
Is this the right pleco LDA25 Parotocinclus Jumbo?
I don't know much about it but I found this for you....

Should be kept in small groups, with plenty of hiding places. Sand can be a good idea as this fish likes to bury itself when alarmed, small gravel can be used instead. Driftwood is also recomended.

http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/modules/caresheets/caresheet.php?caresheetID=8

Brian

Fishguy2727
02-26-2009, 03:54 PM
I think there are very few fish that shouldn't be on sand, and even then it isn't because of the fish's health but for the sake of the filter. Thing like big cichlids and catfish that will fling sand up into the intake or spit sand into it. But in almost every place the fish in our tanks come from the water moves too slowly to allow for a gravel size substrate so sand is a much more natural substrate.

That said I wouldn't consider it a MUST for most fish. I think your plecos will be fine until spring.

Northernguy
02-26-2009, 04:32 PM
So do I! The gravel will be fine until spring.
You will know by then if its what they want if you watch them move around the tank often enough.Sand is easier to maintain in my opinion !

Lady Hobbs
02-26-2009, 05:27 PM
Maybe they like to bury themselves in the sand. Some do. I cleaned my sand in the tub. Just put the sand in a pail and rinsed it several time. Worked fine until I knocked over a bucket, the sand went down the drain and plugged the screen! LOL

Just don't spill it.

Northernguy
02-26-2009, 05:39 PM
lol I put a sponge in the drain.It stopped most of the sand but never all of it.
Spilling it the easy part!I did too!lol
If you get the right sand it will not need to be rinsed.I don't think the Este's sand needs to be.

frizzlefish
02-26-2009, 06:03 PM
Well, I didn't actually get the plecos for that tank yet but I'm pre-planning!

Ok, good - sand optional but looks better. I'll have to think on it some more before actually doing the swap out. For now, the little "heathens" in my house want a tank in their room! Off to the cycling forum for ideas.......

bluebluecow
02-27-2009, 09:06 PM
hi

pitbulls love sand, we had one, now in my mums lilltl tank and it burys itself so only its head is showing

I prefer sand

Liz

GtownJosh
03-16-2009, 03:32 AM
I love my sand i will never use gravel again......I just got pool filter sand didnt rinse or anything after a few days its clear....But for the first few days i did (even though i know your not suppose to) rinse my filters and pull my HOB filters of and clean them real well and pull the impellers and clean them to....but i have two Marineland 350s and a eihman canister and it cleared up no time no rinsage