PDA

View Full Version : What type of Bumblebee

kaianuanu
02-26-2009, 12:43 AM
hi i just got 2 little bumblebee catfish. their each 2" long. below is a pic of one. from my understanding, there are multiple species of bumblebee cats. Can anyone help me identify the species i have?

Thanx,
-Kai

http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u323/kaianuanu/P2250034.jpg

Red
02-26-2009, 12:46 AM
Thats the South American Bumblebee cat max at like 4 or 5 inches, love to eat fry.. Make sure you have many hding spots and they like to come out at dark..

Here ill add a link for you..
http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=303

Crispy
02-26-2009, 12:52 AM
Like Red Severum said, it's the South American bumblebee... Microglanis iheringi
They love to hide! There is an asian and siamese bumblebee cat also.

kaianuanu
02-26-2009, 01:08 AM
thanks guys, i heard about some GIANT bumblebee cat commonly confused with the small south americans so i just wanted to be sure i had what i thought i had. anyway, is there anymore knowledge you can share with me about them?

PS: sev was right, i put a few feeder mollies with them to add some activity to the tank. among the mollies were some tiny 1/4" long minnows. because those fry werent strong swimmers, they seeked shelter in the wrong dens, i bet you can figure out the rest. it was cool to see my baby catfish(plural) lunge out of their dark dens and grab the tiny but unfortunate feeders.

Red
02-26-2009, 01:11 AM
They also like small inverts. They are pretty hardy, I have had mine for about a year and half. I think he might have died though because I havent seen him for a month (which is not that bad, happen before) Make sure when you clean decorations that you look to see if they arent in there, they tend not to leave the home even if it is out of water. You will be ok as long it gets food..

kaianuanu
02-26-2009, 01:20 AM
hey how big was yours when you got him? How big is he now? I guess i am wondering how fast to expect mine to grow. At my lfs today i really wanted to get one of the dozen bumblebees that were at like 6" already but i didnt want to spend like 35 bucks on 1 of them. I really am falling in love with them like i did with my oscar i've had for like 2 years, i think i might buy 2 or 3 more babies so i have 4 or 5.

Red
02-26-2009, 01:35 AM
Mine is no bigger then 4 inches, I dont think they grow 6"...

kaianuanu
02-26-2009, 01:46 AM
i guess i kinda exaggerated that one,it was probably more like 5", but still their bigger than 4"