PDA

View Full Version : Pssst.....(Mith whispers)

Mith
02-24-2009, 07:52 AM
(I'm cycled....)

WOOOOOO MF HOOOOOO! Kill the fatted calf... the testicals son has returned home! The eagle has landed... The bread has landed butter side UP!

(Mith taps mic)....

Ladies and Gentleman... I have brought you all together tonight for a very special occasion. An occasion of a new era.... an era of something so wonderful... so freeek'n wonderful.... (heckler in the back... Miss Hobbs has had a little bit too much to drinkypoo...) "Go Mithleytbpoo..." she says

People .... I am here to announce that I am cycled. NO mis readings.... NO tainted tests.... nothing..... NOTHING but PURE BLUE!

(Mith waits for the audience's roar to quiet down).....

I just want to thank all those wonderfull (Miss Hobbs yells out again... "Mithylypoo... where's mieeeee Romaaantlic Dinnaer you big LUG.... burp)....

LOL.... sweetie, I'll be there momentarily...

Anyway, enough dramma... Folks, I'm DONE! I will now proceede to nurture the tank with amonia (very little) until I can make a big-a$$ water change early wednesday morning. THEN it's off to the fishy store!

WOOOOOOOT mf WOOOOOOT!

Thanks again guys and gals for your support... but we're not done yet. I'll hvae TONS more questions in the near future.......

(Mith stands there as the audience roars with emotions)....

Thank you....... thank you...... thanks SO much for coming toinight... thanks SO much....

http://img365.imageshack.us/img365/5759/55338669.gif (http://imageshack.us)http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/5332/70872415.gif (http://imageshack.us)http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/5535/71254278.gif (http://imageshack.us)http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/7853/82962314.gif (http://imageshack.us)

Mith
02-24-2009, 07:54 AM
BTW... a cycled tank stinks... LOL ewwwww

lovleeko
02-24-2009, 07:56 AM
Well if there was a post of the month yours would be it! :19: :19: :19:

so happy for you congrats!! Can't wait to see the new fishy madness questions :) Do you have a digital camera for pictures???? You better LOL

lovleeko
02-24-2009, 07:57 AM
BTW... a cycled tank stinks... LOL ewwwww

What? LOL It shouldn't stink :) Cycle is what normally makes tanks not stink :ssuprised: Maybe after the water change all will be ..... not stinky???

escamosa
02-24-2009, 07:59 AM
:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: So if there's gunna be a celebration are you buyin all the beers? More importantly are all your old Datnoid mates invited?thumbs2: :19:

Mith
02-24-2009, 08:11 AM
:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: So if there's gunna be a celebration are you buyin all the beers? More importantly are all your old Datnoid mates invited?thumbs2: :19:

Well... is milk ok? LOL

Now don't think that because I'm a very very important "oscar" that I don't feel sorry for all of those who are lesser people than I..... of course you are invited... SOMEONE has to serve the food!

LOL.... gawd, I'm actually giddy now... LOL

Mith
02-24-2009, 08:12 AM
thumbs2:
What? LOL It shouldn't stink :) Cycle is what normally makes tanks not stink :ssuprised: Maybe after the water change all will be ..... not stinky???

Ya, the water's rotten... LOL I'm sure it will be fine once I do my water change... I just hope I can get those freek'n nitrAtes under 20.... they have to be btw 10-20 right?

Owlbehere
02-24-2009, 08:14 AM
What when did he turn Oscar... Did I miss something here... WOO congrats!

HomaridNoob6
02-24-2009, 08:17 AM
Nice, bout dang time Mith. What fish have you decided on this week?
that sounds kinda rude lol, didn't mean to be, but i cannot believe the patience you've had.

Mith
02-24-2009, 08:18 AM

I have no life... forgive me... I got nothing to do but socialize here... LOL... I think the technical terminology is "Post whore" ?? LOL

Mith
02-24-2009, 08:19 AM
Nice, bout dang time Mith. What fish have you decided on this week?

"This week".... LOL....

Actually, I'm REALLY stuck on the calvus fish. I just LOVE'M! I'm going to see what I can do (talk to my people) about finding a place out here that has them.. can't WAIT!:19: :18:

escamosa
02-24-2009, 08:26 AM

You've gotta be real careful around him now Gabrielle, he starts to turn on ya after a while now that he's the almighty Oscar.:hmm3grin2orange:

fins_n_fur
02-24-2009, 08:26 AM
WOW! I am so very happy for you! Congratulations! <wipes tear of joy from eye> :hmm3grin2orange: See what patience brings! Party at Mith's place!

Mith
02-24-2009, 08:27 AM
Gulp... question....

aren't I suppose to have SOME nitrAtes? I just checked those and they're zero...

PAAALLLLEEEESE tell em zero nitrAtes is ok??? OMG... I feel faint now

escamosa
02-24-2009, 08:28 AM
WOW! I am so very happy for you! Congratulations! <wipes tear of joy from eye> :hmm3grin2orange: See what patience brings! Party at Mith's place!

But he's only serving milk fins n fur........well actually if he get's his way i'll be serving the milk.(blush)

fins_n_fur
02-24-2009, 08:30 AM
We'll be a-changing what the bar offers...milk, what kind of nonsense is that :hmm3grin2orange:

Mith
02-24-2009, 08:32 AM
You read this?

Gulp... question....

aren't I suppose to have SOME nitrAtes? I just checked those and they're zero...

PAAALLLLEEEESE tell em zero nitrAtes is ok??? OMG... I feel faint now

loachcoach
02-24-2009, 08:34 AM
so happy for you congrats!! Can't wait to see the new fishy madness questions :) Do you have a digital camera for pictures???? You better LOL

NO....NO....please tell me you didn't just ask Mith to take pics (banging head on monitor in frustration and fear).....you know not what you do...

Mith....please....by all that is holy.....PUT THAT CAMERA DOWN!!!:wink2:

Mith
02-24-2009, 08:36 AM
What About My Nitrates... They're Zero!!!!!

fins_n_fur
02-24-2009, 08:40 AM
Are you sure you tested correctly? No nitrates? What did you do with them?

Mith
02-24-2009, 08:43 AM
Are you sure you tested correctly? No nitrates? What did you do with them?

OK.. this is serious... I have ZERO... is there something MAJOR wrong now??? YEs, I tested correctly...

fins_n_fur
02-24-2009, 08:49 AM
I honestly do not know what to tell you :hmm3grin2orange:. Nitrates are typically reduced at the end of a cycle with a very large water change. You have been adding ammonia to about 2 ppm for the last week or so whilst the tank completed the cycle, right? What have you done in the last couple of days?

Mith
02-24-2009, 08:51 AM
I honestly do not know what to tell you :hmm3grin2orange:. Nitrates are typically reduced at the end of a cycle with a very large water change. You have been adding ammonia to about 2 ppm for the last week or so whilst the tank completed the cycle, right? What have you done in the last couple of days?

I keep the amonia 1-2ppm once a day.

fins_n_fur
02-24-2009, 08:53 AM
Best thing to do is not worry. Go to bed, it's late there. I'll ask Lady Hobbs to take a peek and ask her to give her input. Certainly, anyone else who's got a good idea is more the free to chime in.

Mith
02-24-2009, 08:54 AM
I'm SO screwed.... sigh

fins_n_fur
02-24-2009, 08:58 AM
Let's not worry too much, please. We'll get you sorted.

Mith
02-24-2009, 09:01 AM

sry about the eh hem... language

I'll probably sleep like poo tonight

loachcoach
02-24-2009, 09:01 AM

OK.....I admit it......I stole the nitrates.

.......I'm so ashamed (hangs head)....

Poofaye C.
02-24-2009, 09:02 AM
Get some rest dude....you're right there, sooo close. I'm sure Hobbsie will chime in soon with a solution.
Crud, if this dosen't work soon, just tell people you have glass fish!!!LOL!!!

Mith
02-24-2009, 09:04 AM
so nobody knows if zero nitrates is ok... sigh.... lol

fins_n_fur
02-24-2009, 09:08 AM
As I said, it's weird and we'd prefer to make sure that the tank is really cycled and it's not going to cause you undue issues when you get fish. Keep in mind that a lot of folks are either sleeping right now, or at work school (Australia, New Zealand, Europe).

Poofaye C.
02-24-2009, 09:08 AM
well my tanks (4 total) all have 20, at times reach 40. I always thought you should have some.

loachcoach
02-24-2009, 09:09 AM

I've just never heard of zero nitrates in a cycled tank....

What test kit are you using?

escamosa
02-24-2009, 09:10 AM

I f you really have zero nitrates that's ok because you dont have live plants the only reason i know of that you should have some is if you have live plants, helps keep em alive.
When you put fish in the tank you will start to get nitrates though but not much.
Don't panic mate if the test is right and you have none it wont hurt your fish when you get em.
Someone correct me if i'm wrong please.

fins_n_fur
02-24-2009, 09:12 AM
But he had very high readings of nitrAtes before...that's why we're a bit puzzled :ssuprised:.

Mith
02-24-2009, 09:15 AM
OK.. first, I'm a MORON....

I thought, dang, maybe I DID do something wrong. So I RECHECKED again... lol... man I'm such a moroon...... I have 5-10ppm nitrates...

I swear to heck, I must really appear to be a basket case to you guys... LOL... maybe it's because I'm starving ... LOL...

sigh... did I mention I'm a maroon?

fins_n_fur
02-24-2009, 09:18 AM
Arrrgghhhhhhhhh, Mith! I swear I'm getting on the first plane to sunny CA, stopping at the nearest Loewe's or Home Depot to buy a 4x4, then heading your way :hmm3grin2orange:

That's why I asked you the question about the testing!

Anyways....congratulations, again, you have cycled! Time for fishies! I bet you won't sleep at all now knowing you can get fish! :hmm3grin2orange:

loachcoach
02-24-2009, 09:19 AM
OK.. first, I'm a MORON....

Come here, ya little (well, big) tanktard......remember.....you're not a moron.....you're special.

escamosa
02-24-2009, 09:19 AM
Thank goodness for that Mith, with that amount you wont have to do such a large water change then, what do you think fins n fur?

fins_n_fur
02-24-2009, 09:23 AM
As long as nitrates are under 20 ppm, there's no need for a water change. I would test again before you get fish to see if they have crept up, but I doubt that they will be much.

Mith
02-24-2009, 09:29 AM
In my haste to find an answer... (tonight) I came accross an article about water change and what affect it has on nitrate levels. It kind of made sence actually!

Basically they said, over a long period of time, your nitrates will continue to accumulate. The logic was.... if your tank produces say (hypothetically) 10 ppm nitrates/week. Ok, if you remove 50% of the water, you've effectively removed 5 nitrates correct?

Now you have 5 nitrates. The next week you add 10 more nitrates to the 5 nitrates, and now you have 15 nitrates.

Do another 50% water change, you bring it down to 7.5 nitrates. Another week and your tank produces 10 more nitrates... bringing up your total to 17.5 nitrates.

See how that works? Unless you change 100% of your water, you never really get ride of 100% of your nitrates... and what ever nitrates are left after a water change, are effectively added to the NEW nitrates that we calculated that your tank produces a week.

I forgot what I read as far as what to ultimatly do about reducing the nitrates... I guess my head was still spinning from this thread.... LOL

Man... Miss Hobbs is going to smack me around silly when she sees all the poo that I've stirred up tonight.... LOL

Note to self: tomorrow after work before coming back to the AC forum, bring home bullet proof vest to protect delicate girlish figure from Miss Hobbs when she comes after me with a whip!!!!

loachcoach
02-24-2009, 09:37 AM
Man... Miss Hobbs is going to smack me around silly when she sees all the poo that I've stirred up tonight.... LOL

Note to self: tomorrow after work before coming back to the AC forum, bring home bullet proof vest to protect delicate girlish figure from Miss Hobbs when she comes after me with a whip!!!!

She'll probably just hit you upside your head....

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/2540/penguinslap.gif (http://imageshack.us)

Mith
02-24-2009, 10:03 AM
She'll probably just hit you upside your head....

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/2540/penguinslap.gif (http://imageshack.us)

LOL

Hey, I'm getting the "feel" for how my tank thinks now!

Fact: My nitrItes were zero. Confirmed three tests.

Fact: My nitrAtes were 10-20.... I just tested for the wrong thing DOH!

I added some amonia... and I have a few nitrItes back. About .5ppm to be exact! So I'll bet a box of donuts that by the time I get back home from work tomorrow, my nitrItes will be back to zero. The amonia really kicks those things off!

I'll bet people who get stuck with nitrItes are over-doing the amonia! If my tank's back to zero nitrItes tomorrow when I get home, my theory will be confirmed.

OK.. I'm REALLY done now. My Tuna Helper's about done! (broccoli flavor... YUMMY!)

Lady Hobbs
02-24-2009, 11:10 AM
Will someone PLEASE KILL ME!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/carolo/Siggies/thisthreadsucks.jpg

Sharon
02-24-2009, 11:22 AM
Mith...I've just got out of bed, and you've made be put down my tea to type! Congrats on the cycle, and on keeping us all laughing! :hmm3grin2orange:

I do have a small question as I'm a little confused....If the NITRATE was off the charts previously, why are they reading 5-10ppm now? That is impossible, and plants wouldn't be the answer. Nitrates that high don't just disappear....:ssuprised: Hobbs....????

Lady Hobbs
02-24-2009, 11:45 AM
I have nitrates of 0 a lot and especially in a nice clean tank that has just had a gravel cleaning and a "big" water change. Remember that Mith has a clean filter, clean gravel and just did two massive water changes just two days ago. You can have very small amounts that even your tester does not detect. I had people in here telling me all the time.........."oh no.........that's impossible" until I started checking around and it means nothing but a very clean tank.

Something here that does interest me, however, is a couple days ago after his huge water changes, he was saying his nitrates were still way off the charts and now have dropped. This caught my attention because this also happened to me. On the last day of my last fishless cycling, my RATES were 180 and I decided to give it one more day to make sure I had a firm cycle. The following day my RATES had dropped in half and the day after the had dropped to 0. Where did my RATES go? My only explanation was I had been using Stress Zyme and apparently something in it had rendered my RATES to a safe zone. Because I thought perhaps it had just messed my testing up, I still did the huge water change anyway.

I don't get excited about the cycling and the different results people get. Every single cycle can be a bit different. People have different pH, different water hardness, use different ammonia's, different testers, and there are so many variables in every cycle that you can't think each will be the same. Some people may turn their heat to 88 and someone else to 80, some may aerate and others not and we all have different size tanks with different water volumes.

There's no letter of the law here and it explains why one will have a total fishless cycle in 17 days and another will drudge on for a month. To me, the most important thing in the whole cycling is dropping back on that ammonia once you see the RITES. People seem to have a problem everytime they forget this step. As you see here, Mith was in the stuck zone and he did those big water changes a couple days ago and now has his cycled tank.

You only have so much surface area to grow bacteria.

Sharon
02-24-2009, 11:54 AM
OK....I didn't realize that he'd done the two large water changes, or maybe I've forgotten. That would explain it! Thanks!
I wonder why the tank stinks, if he's already changed a lot of the water? GOD!!! I'm turning into Mith!!!:hmm3grin2orange:

Lady Hobbs
02-24-2009, 12:05 PM
He prolly dumped milk in the tank instead of dechlorinator and it's soured. LOLOLOL

But seriously, I have no idea. Mith, I hope you have your filters running!

invadertoast
02-24-2009, 01:11 PM
Wow - what a thread! CONGRATS!!!!!

Algenco
02-24-2009, 01:19 PM
Happy days!!! http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr47/Algenco/cartoons/chickendance.gifhttp://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr47/Algenco/cartoons/dance013.gif

Now work on you biotype, nice rock piles for the Africans

fishlover49
02-24-2009, 01:38 PM
CONGRATS, MITH!!!! :thumb: :thumb:

Mith
02-24-2009, 06:04 PM
He prolly dumped milk in the tank instead of dechlorinator and it's soured. LOLOLOL

But seriously, I have no idea. Mith, I hope you have your filters running!

I guess maybe stink is the wrong word. Smells like lake or something. The water's a bit cloudy too.. but that will clear with my water change. I'll keep dabbing a little amonia into the tank until I get my fish. The night before I get my fish, I won't add amonia... then the trItes will go back to zero, I'll do another huge water change and I'll be ready to rock and roll.

(Did Lady Hobbs go postal when she read all my crap? LOL)

Sharon
02-24-2009, 06:15 PM
Not really...she left you a big smooch! Check it out!!!:19:

lava
02-24-2009, 08:35 PM
Come here, ya little (well, big) tanktard. special. HAHAHAHA TANKTARD :) Mith I just wanna say congratz! I know how you feel!, my cycle is almost done, and I cant stop jumping around!!! My Nitrites .25
Nitrates 40+
Ammonia .50

Btw is your tanking getting attacked by any algae? my airstone,gravel and moss is getting covered by some sort of brown algae, and some other brown hair algae X_X" I wonder if anyone ever ran out of ammonia trying to cycle. CUZ I DID LOL! so many screw ups....

Mith
02-24-2009, 09:20 PM
HAHAHAHA TANKTARD :) Mith I just wanna say congratz! I know how you feel!, my cycle is almost done, and I cant stop jumping around!!! My Nitrites .25
Nitrates 40+
Ammonia .50

Btw is your tanking getting attacked by any algae? my airstone,gravel and moss is getting covered by some sort of brown algae, and some other brown hair algae X_X" I wonder if anyone ever ran out of ammonia trying to cycle. CUZ I DID LOL! so many screw ups....

I had two anomalies during this phase of the game. First was a slime type stuff. It was/is some type of white stringy fungus. They say that eventually goes away. I still have a little bit left. The other thing is the cloudy water, white like you put milk into the tank. That, however, went away when I'd add amonia.

Once I cycled, I continue to add just a smidge of pure amonia until I get my fish, but doing so brought back nitrItes at a very low level. I'm sure they'll be back to zero when I get home tonight.

Good luck with your cycling! it really does take patience! LOL

lava
02-24-2009, 09:33 PM
Come here, ya little (well, big) tanktard......remember.....you're not a moron.....you're special.
Ic thanks!

Wild Turkey
02-24-2009, 09:40 PM
Have you ever gotten a nitrate reading with that test kit? Did it come in a bundle or separately? It may be bad

Gemini
02-25-2009, 12:22 AM
Now I understand the Miths double... I'm so glad I was asleep while this all happened!!

Mith
02-25-2009, 01:10 AM
my test kit is the one that has all the tests included. I may have, in my excitement....tested for amonia LOL. Hey, I was excited! hehe

Gemini
02-25-2009, 01:13 AM
Have you ever gotten a nitrate reading with that test kit? Did it come in a bundle or separately? It may be bad
His nitrate kit works - its come out at like 160ppm before. The poor Lady! If she doesn't beat you down your one lucky man!!!

Sharon
02-25-2009, 01:24 AM
Heck, if she doesn't beat him, I will!!!:14:

Lynn Conroy
02-25-2009, 02:05 AM
I've just never heard of zero nitrates in a cycled tank....

What test kit are you using?

Probably goofed up and bought one of those pregnancy peepee kits.

lava
02-25-2009, 02:23 AM
^ahahahahahaha!!!

Ellen4God
02-25-2009, 02:51 AM
Congrats!!!! :)

Mith
02-26-2009, 09:08 AM
Just checking in. Hard to find this thread! LOL

I'm still adding a LITTLE amonia to keep the cycle going. I'm at 10 ppm nitrAtes and .25ppm nitrItes.

I'm sure by tomorrow the nitrItes will be zero again. The only reason they're there now is because I added amonia last night.

But today I plan on getting a few fish... should be fun!

My water's still a TAD cloudy... but with water changes I expect that to clear!

The store I'm going to had a couple really cool looking fish that I've had my eye on. Not sure what family they're in. I only recall seeing on Valcus in the big tank... but we'll see. I'll be happy with what ever I get I'm sure!

I'll post pics when i return if I have my fish.thumbs2:

fishlover49
02-26-2009, 01:53 PM
Probably goofed up and bought one of those pregnancy peepee kits.

:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Northernguy
02-26-2009, 02:14 PM
Congrats Mith!
Now don't come home with man eating guppies!:hmm3grin2orange:

Sharon
02-26-2009, 04:10 PM
Where is Mith???? I thought he'd be back with fish by now!!!!:19:

fins_n_fur
02-26-2009, 04:29 PM
Well, as it' s only 8:30 am Pacific, I imagine that Mith is just getting out of his sleeping bag having slept in front of his LFS all night :hmm3grin2orange:

Sharon
02-26-2009, 04:42 PM
Oh, I wasn't paying attention to the time difference....WAKE UP MITH!!!! Time's a wasting!!!! There's much to do!!!! :20: :17: :jaws: :12:

fishlover49
02-26-2009, 05:01 PM
We are all anxiously awaiting your arrival with FISH!!! thumbs2: :19: :hmm3grin2orange:

sandy_n
02-26-2009, 06:08 PM
I agree. This has been quite a journey!!! :hmm3grin2orange:

Poofaye C.
02-27-2009, 02:25 AM
Ok Mith....show a feeder fish at least, something.