PDA

View Full Version : seeding cycling question?

Slow Cheetah
02-24-2009, 05:34 AM
hi all

well i have a new 10 gallon and my plan was to get 2 goldfish to cycle the tank, and move them to my pond outside.

i was going to use goldfish to cycle as i know they are hardy etc etc and i can move them out once it is done.

people say the cycle is done much quicker if some filter media from a seasoned tank is put in a new one, aswell as rubbing a seasoned filterwool against new wool.

my question is, does this mean the cycle jsut is completed much quicker? if so how long (approX) would it take

or does it mean when you add a seeding that it begins to produce bacteria without the fish?

help lol

thanks

Algenco
02-24-2009, 05:38 AM
placing used floss, sponge, in a new filter provides an instant cycle.
Cycling is the process of establishing the bacteria colony in the tank, 90% or more will be in the filter

Slow Cheetah
02-24-2009, 05:57 AM
so basically, putting a a 2 by 3 inch cut of my seasoned filterwool into filterbox of new 10 gallon would cycle new tank fully in a few days???

Alfcea
02-24-2009, 06:04 AM
Immediately. But I would still stock it slowly to allow the bacterial colonies to grow.

Slow Cheetah
02-24-2009, 06:12 AM
excellent

thanks for clearing that up

so even fish such as rummy nose etc if i went a couple at a time would be fine?

Lady Hobbs
02-24-2009, 12:42 PM
Make sure the water is dechlorinated before turning the filter on.

korith
02-24-2009, 01:03 PM
excellent

thanks for clearing that up

so even fish such as rummy nose etc if i went a couple at a time would be fine?

Yes. Just add a few 1-3 at a time, maybe give a week or so before adding more.

Slow Cheetah
02-25-2009, 06:01 AM
in reply to lady hobbs, when i filled up the tank, it was all declorinated water i put in anyway, don't know if thats neccessary if u don't add fish for another week, but i thought id rather be safe than sorry

and 1 last question,

if the waters going to be a week old when i go to get the fish, will i need to do a water change before the fish are added, or will it be fine as nothing has been living in there??

thanks

Fishalicious
02-25-2009, 09:29 AM
If I have a new tank to cycle I just wait til filter cleaning day on another....squeeze out the whole filter material in the new tank from the sponge. It turns into a big gloopy horrible brown mess - within 12 hours the tank is crysal clear thanks to the filter and the bateria happily living in there and then I pretty much stock straight away.

Always worked for me...

terrapin24h
02-25-2009, 01:05 PM
i have followed a similar process to Fishalicious and it works wells. The key is to add fish VERY soon after you have taken the old media to the new tank. So like add the media in the morning, goto breakfast, then by lunch have new fish in the tank.

--chris

Kadina
02-25-2009, 01:56 PM
i have followed a similar process to Fishalicious and it works wells. The key is to add fish VERY soon after you have taken the old media to the new tank. So like add the media in the morning, goto breakfast, then by lunch have new fish in the tank.

Instead of adding fish, would adding ammonia work just as well?