PDA

View Full Version : Moss tree

AnthonyTCaps
02-23-2009, 09:02 PM
hey i was lookin around google and i stumbled upon a tank with a tree in it?
i took a closer look and it was a piece of drift wood roots upside down with some moss that had spread and it looked GREAT! have any of you tried this? is it hard or are there tricks?
thanks a bunch!

Algenco
02-23-2009, 09:04 PM
I've got all the pieces, just haven't put it together yet.

Just tie the moss on the tree, will require frequent trimming to look right

NickFish
02-23-2009, 10:02 PM
I've seen it, never tried it.

I can never find pieces of wood that look nice enough. The hardest part, as I can tell, is incorporating it into an aquascape. A bunch of gravel, assorted random plants, and a random tree out of nowhere doesn't fit in. There has to be no other large plants, low growing foreground plants, some hardscape, and that has to be it for it to really look nice. It has to be the centerpiece, the main focal point of the tank to truely have an effect.

Another thing you can do that I have done, is take toothpicks or wooden meat skewers, wrap them in moss and place them in large bunches together sticking upright out of the substrate. They look very similiar to a forest of evergreen trees if you keep them trimmed properly. Very nice effect.

SamAnthrax
02-23-2009, 10:30 PM
Man that would look awesome, a planted tank with a weird piece of driftwood in the corner with maybe two different types of mosses then microswords covering the bottom to look like a grassy plain *head wanders off into tank imagination land*

geowashlaw
02-24-2009, 01:07 AM
Another thing you can do that I have done, is take toothpicks or wooden meat skewers, wrap them in moss and place them in large bunches together sticking upright out of the substrate. They look very similiar to a forest of evergreen trees if you keep them trimmed properly. Very nice effect.

Nick ... glad to see you post this ... I am thinking of a scene that involves an evergreen forest ... how long do the skewers last?

Jacko
02-24-2009, 01:13 AM
If you do try this, go with either willow moss or flame moss, java moss doesn't grow quite right to look naturally like a tree. Flame moss can be made to look like most trees and willow moss makes an awesome, well, willow tree.thumbs2:

I've been wanting to try it but finding the right peice of wood has been killer and I once found the perfect peice, about 12 inches high but I wasn't gonna spend 80 bucks on it.:ssuprised:

Algenco
02-24-2009, 01:14 AM
bamboo would last years, Christmas moss would be perfectthumbs2:
or fissidens (Phoenix moss)

NickFish
02-25-2009, 09:53 PM
Nick ... glad to see you post this ... I am thinking of a scene that involves an evergreen forest ... how long do the skewers last?

Quite awhile actually.

I've had mine in the tank for only 6 months now, but a friend of mine has had his going for over 2 years and they are still standing. If need be, you can always replace the occasional straggler anyways.

Its very nice to create a slope with these things. To start with a very tall tree and slowly slope down to a tiny tree, just cut off pieces of skewer.

Slow Cheetah
02-26-2009, 03:39 AM
that sounds really cool nickfish,

any chance of a photo of the skewers in your tank??

PUNISHER VETTE
02-26-2009, 04:15 AM
http://www.blueaquarium.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/Oct/ADA_Contest_2007/ADA_Contest_2007_10.jpg
http://www.blueaquarium.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/Oct/ADA_Contest_2007/ADA_Contest_2007_10.jpg

Gemini
02-26-2009, 04:16 AM
How do you get the moss to stay on the skewer until it grows to it? Just cotton?

Slow Cheetah
02-26-2009, 05:02 AM
wow that pic is impressive

NickFish
02-26-2009, 12:02 PM
How do you get the moss to stay on the skewer until it grows to it? Just cotton?

Just tie it down with whatever you have lying around.

Use thread if you want the thread to dissolve in time, or use fishing line if you want the line to always stay here.

NickFish
02-26-2009, 12:06 PM
wow that pic is impressive

Yep, thats an early pic in his tank. The aquascaper on that one is a portuguese man named Filipe Oliveira. Very famous guy as far as aquascapers go. I like the later pics of his tank better. Although, I got to say my favourite tank from him has got to be his "Across the River". Very interesting, but all his tanks are really.

Here you go-

http://www.aquascapingworld.com/forum/aquascape-month/1182-aquascape-month-september-2008-pinheiro-manso.html

Its an interview with the man himself, and it shows the stages he goes through to make a tank like that.

matthew.shelly
03-31-2009, 05:39 AM
I've seen this before too! It's super cool. I don't know if I would ever do something like this in my tank, but I enjoy looking at it.
I also had the idea of having a fairly thin, straight piece of wood standing up with Java Moss covering all sides. Then let it grow out a bit, trim it close at the top and slope it outward...and you get an underwater Christmas tree!

Fishalicious
03-31-2009, 08:25 AM
At the Aquarium fair I was working at this weekend my friend did one in a little tank...he broke off smaller twigs from larger pieces of wood and tied these together with fishing line to make the branches....added the moss along the 'twigs' with fishing line and it was all done within 10 minutes.

Here is the result:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v707/Cutsie1/425a4820.jpg

It still needs to grow but already looks really cool.

bluebluecow
03-31-2009, 09:27 AM
Nick fish

Thankyou soooo Much for that link it has inspired me, OMG. I am about to change my downstairs tank, and from looking at that link, I am goin for a cragy valley look for my new tank, so excited and inspired thanks

Liz