PDA

View Full Version : Angelfish stocking levels

Coler
02-12-2007, 05:42 PM
Hi - first post; good advice appreciated !

I have a 180L Juwel Vision. I havn't decided what to put in it yet, but am leading towards Angelfish, some larger tetras, some corys and a small plec.

What would be the best quantities of each for these fish (by best = happiest fish) ?

Thanks

Chrona
02-12-2007, 05:46 PM
It depends on the mix. Do you want mostly angels? Or maybe a shoal of tetras? You want at least 6 of the same type of tetra, since they are a shoaling fish. Same with the cories, though I don't think you need as many.

180L is about 50 gallons right? Stocking it with 30 inches of fish of the kinds you listed should keep them really happy. Keep in mind the common pleco gets huge.

Oh and welcome to AC

Coler
02-12-2007, 06:03 PM
Thanks Chrona, for the quick response.

I'm thinking at least 8 tetras for them to be happy, at least 5 corys for them to be happy. Perhaps a smaller plec (I know to steer clear of the common or anything even close in size).

So with that in mind how many Angels would you put in there ?

freshwaterfishlover
02-12-2007, 07:46 PM
I would put 3-5 Anglels max. Also angels are not schooling fish and do not like to school.

My opinion is 10 gallons(10 gallon is ok, but 20 gallons would be better) for each angel.

cocoa_pleco
02-12-2007, 08:04 PM
ditto:1: :4:

Lady Hobbs
02-12-2007, 10:59 PM
I would put 3-5 Anglels max. Also angels are not schooling fish and do not like to school.

My opinion is 10 gallons(10 gallon is ok, but 20 gallons would be better) for each angel.

And you would be exactly correct. You have to allow room for other fish, plants, decoration, etc.

Coler
02-13-2007, 11:35 AM
Thanks guys,

Should I be worried about compatibility within the Angels ? I'd like to try 3 or 4 but if two pair will the tank be large enough to let the odd one(s) out avoid 'em ?

Lady Hobbs
02-13-2007, 11:57 AM
Thanks guys,

Should I be worried about compatibility within the Angels ? I'd like to try 3 or 4 but if two pair will the tank be large enough to let the odd one(s) out avoid 'em ?

Generally, 5 angels would do well in a 55 gallon. I have one angel that's the pits and gets along with nothing so is in a 30 gallon with coreys. I really don't know what to do with him. I plan to get another tank soon and get a severum and will try him with him but not expecting good results at least until the severum has grown. This is the problem with any cichlid.

Then you get into the breeding (where I haven't gone yet) and more problems such as moving the mating pair to another tank and having grow out tanks for the wee ones. 5 of my angels are the wild silvers so I may try just leaving them in the tank and letting the parents care for them when it comes to that.

A mating pair will spam every two weeks so you can imagine how many fry a person would have to contend with when 100 plus eggs are hatching twice a month.

I have 8 angels in my 55 right now but 7 are juvies so they have a lot of room. Different angels grow to different sizes and the veil tails, etc, need even more room. Give them lots of plants.

Coler
02-13-2007, 04:16 PM
Hmmmm....thanks Hobbs...I'm a bit unclear; is the advice that I will need a separate tank whatever happens, in the event that I keep more than 1 ?

I don't have a 55g so 5 or 8 is out of the question

Lady Hobbs
02-13-2007, 06:22 PM
No, that's only if they breed but you may wish to leave when where they are and see if they will breed right there. Other fish will eat their eggs and you will see a lot of aggression toward the other fish from the angels tho.

Coler
02-15-2007, 12:46 PM
sooooooooooo...3 - 4 = good/bad for a 46 gallon (US) tank with a mix of other community fish (corys & tetras) ?

Lady Hobbs
02-15-2007, 02:09 PM
4 would be OK with a few others.

freshwaterfishlover
02-16-2007, 04:17 AM
3 Angels if you are putting other fish. 5 if Angels are the only fish in the tank.

cocoa_pleco
02-17-2007, 01:55 AM
4 is good for by themselves

cocoa_pleco
02-17-2007, 01:55 AM
and decor and plants take up room!

Coler
03-04-2007, 02:48 AM
"Angels are not skoaling fish but are social fish. They do best when kept only with other angels and can form their own communities. Often they don't work in a community tank due to the speed of their growth, how often they spawn (about every 20 days) and the mass amount of eggs they lay each time. They also get very territorial at spawning and will kill other fish. They are a cichlid and act like a cichlid when they need to.

I have 4 inch juvies that were dime sized 4 months ago! Another important factor with angels is their water needs to always be 80-82 degrees. Many community fish can't tolerate high temps on a daily basis. Tetra's, for instance, should have cooler temps or they will loss their color. I am not concerned with their pH nearly as much as with their water temps.

Angels are not something you simple add to your tank but are a fish that you need to work at having as their own species. They should be the primary fish in your tank and if you do need to add fish to "their" tank, it should be fish that can live well in high temps. Not fish that can "tolerate" high temps but fish that will live well in it.

Each angel fish in a tank should have 10 to 15 gallons of water. And since they are cichlids, require VERY clean tanks with large water changes. Nothing says they will get along with other fish in the tank as well. I have one in a 30 gallon alone that hates everything. He has rasbora's with him only because he can't catch them.

There are many reasons why they are not suitable for community tanks and another being that they are susceptible to diseases that other community fish may bring to them. They are not an "add on" fish but a primary fish"

geez...I wish I'd found out that they (angels) are not suitable for community tanks...