PDA

View Full Version : Northernguy's 135 journal

Pages : [1] 2

Northernguy
02-23-2009, 04:28 PM
I have finally got my 135. I found it used and abused in a bargain hunter on-line site.
The guy bought it and than measured the space.He only had 5ft and the tank is 6'.lol
Anyway.The tank is now home after a 16 hour drive through 4 snow belts.
I also picked up a Rena xp3 filter at Big Al's.I also have two AC 50s that will be moved to this tank. Sorry I forgot my camera!:11:
The tank is now home and after a wee bit of a struggle is now downstairs sitting on my work table waiting to be cleaned and resealed.I don't even want to test it the silicone looks so bad.I picked up 4 tubes of GE Silicone 1.
The tank is dirty and slightly abused but that was to be expected.
Here are some before shots.I am going to redo the tank and get started on the stand shortly!

Alfcea
02-23-2009, 04:30 PM
Hey! Congratulations! Let us know how things go! What is the stocking going to be?

fishlover49
02-23-2009, 04:41 PM
Congrats on your new tank, NG!! :19: thumbs2:

Northernguy
02-23-2009, 04:44 PM
Hey! Congratulations! Let us know how things go! What is the stocking going to be?
Its going to a grow out tank for my Oscars and pleco.I would also like to find either some severums or some SDs to add to it.I have a month to find the right size tank mates.

Rue
02-23-2009, 04:45 PM
I'll send you a little elbow grease! Looks like you're gonna need it! :hmm3grin2orange:

This will be fun! Hope you got a good deal!

Northernguy
02-23-2009, 04:49 PM
I'll send you a little elbow grease! Looks like you're gonna need it! :hmm3grin2orange:
Thanks Rue!
This will be fun! Hope you got a good deal!
I payed $120 for the tank.Not bad,vinager and salt mixed together makes a good cleaner but I will need to find a large vat of Elbow Grease! lol
There is only a few noticable scratches but thet are on the side glass.I may try and buff those out.

Deleted User
02-23-2009, 04:53 PM
Even though it looks like it is going to be a lot of hard work. You know it will be worth it in the end and your O's will be so much happier in that tank. Great pick up NG.thumbs2:

Northernguy
02-23-2009, 05:43 PM
It will clean up good.The tank was not washed out properly when the last guy picked it up.I' not worried :help: about it.Just give me a month and it should be up and running.:11: lol
Any other 135 was well over 1200 bucks.A wee bit north of my budget!

Eddie
02-23-2009, 06:24 PM
Congratulations on the find northernguy, can't wait to see it all set up thumbs2:

Crispy
02-23-2009, 06:25 PM
good to see you're starting a journal on this NG! keep up the good work!

Wild Turkey
02-23-2009, 06:36 PM
Good luck NG! Glad to see this thread up alreadythumbs2:

Sharon
02-23-2009, 06:36 PM
Think about the extreme sense of satisfaction you'll have when you get it looking as it should!thumbs2: I'd love a 6 foot tank!!! Wish I could help, but there's too much snow between us....:hmm3grin2orange:

mrs fishpatrick
02-23-2009, 06:37 PM
Wow nice find NG, will follow this journal closely keep the pics coming wont youthumbs2:

Sharon
02-23-2009, 06:43 PM
I expect we won't be seeing a lot of NG for awhile...he'll be busy!:hmm3grin2orange:

Northernguy
02-23-2009, 06:56 PM
:11:
I expect we won't be seeing a lot of NG for awhile...he'll be busy!:hmm3grin2orange:

Thanks all! Its going to be a bit of work!The snow really isn't helping.
LOL I have my computer down in my shop so I get to be around as I work.
Getting the tank downstairs was a little tricky but no damage done.I am hoping it goes back up as easy.

Ellen4God
02-23-2009, 10:35 PM
How exciting!! Congrats on the tank purchase. :] Can't wait to see it up and running!!!

Northernguy
02-25-2009, 04:58 AM
How exciting!! Congrats on the tank purchase. :] Can't wait to see it up and running!!!
lol Me too! I am still cleaning it up!
The front looks fine its the sides that bother me.The water stains are deep.I don't like the look of the silicone seams on the back.I may cut that panel out end reseal it completely.Better safe than sorry.

Owlbehere
02-25-2009, 05:05 AM
I'm trying to figure out if the 45 I found needs its seams redone. I'm guessing its an older tank because it has really thick glass and no center brace. The inner silicone is almost gone, that has to be done. How do I know if he seams will hold under pressure?

Northernguy
02-26-2009, 02:08 AM
I'm trying to figure out if the 45 I found needs its seams redone. I'm guessing its an older tank because it has really thick glass and no center brace. The inner silicone is almost gone, that has to be done. How do I know if he seams will hold under pressure?

There are two seams.The first is the main seam that is holding the tank together.If you look through the glass at it ,it should be a dark green with no or few small bubbles.If it is turned white there is a good chance the seam is not as tight as appears.
The inner seam is just the guarantee that your tank will not leak.It should be done every time you have a doubt about it.
I am thinking about about popping the back panel off and redoing it.I looked under the top trim and the main seal was white.The back is painted black and I am having a hard time peeling it.Not happy but kind of expected it!
I would rather do it now than blow a panel with fish in it.Or at all!

On another note! Has anyone got any ideas on how to remove very stubborn stains before i try paint stripper on it?My side panels are pissing me off.I cannot budge the stains.The front and back look great !

AABatteries
02-26-2009, 02:27 AM
Awesome, cannot wait to see it with some life in it.

My 20g is 13 years old(few months younger than me). I should probably check the silicone before I go make SW tank out of it. Glad I read this thread.

Northernguy
02-26-2009, 02:32 AM
If you have one bad seam than you should also wonder what the bottom looks like.
I am? What a worry wart eh! lol

Ellen4God
02-26-2009, 02:34 AM
If you have one bad seam than you should also wonder what the bottom looks like.
I am? What a worry wart eh! lol

Not a worry wart!! Just cautious! Better to be cautious now than have a tank fall apart on you later on!!

Now, get to siliconing so that we can see it up and running!!!!

Northernguy
02-26-2009, 02:52 AM
I wanted to get it clean first.The tank has obviously been sitting for a while in a garage.Its a little work but it'll be worth it.
My sons playoffs are this weekend so I won't be able to get much done.I'm going for it on Monday.I
hope I don't hate Mondays that day!:hmm3grin2orange:

AABatteries
02-26-2009, 03:23 AM
Silcone is intact. [;

Cleaning tanks. >.< The 20g was horrible I filled up about 1/4 of the way so when I scraped the algae off it would fall in and I could dump it out. After it was all scraped off, you could barely see the water. >.< I lost my appetite for my snack that night.

sandy_n
02-26-2009, 04:50 AM
Wow what a deal. Can't wait to see the end result. You're going to have some happy fish, lol!

Northernguy
02-26-2009, 10:49 PM
Wow what a deal. Can't wait to see the end result. You're going to have some happy fish, lol!
I am looking forward to it as well. I am sure the Os will love it!

I just set up the rene xp3 up on the 35 to get it cycled.Its only running at half right now.It will be there for a at least a month,hopefully sooner!
I had a hell of a time getting the impellor started.There is a cover plate that twists on and seats the impellor in place.I guess it was holding it a wee bit too snug and would not allow it to turn.I had remove it and get things moving on it.It seems to fine be now.I can't hear it at all.
I thought I had to drive back to get another one!I don't know if I'm happy or sad about not having to go back to Big Al's right now!lol

Northernguy
03-14-2009, 02:55 PM
I started the reseal process on the tank.
I started by flipping the tank upside down and removed the trim and the heaps of silicone they had holding it.I decided to remove it because it was peeling off on 3 corners.I also wanted to see what the main seal looked like.Happily all the seams were a dark green color with only a few bubbles in it.Nothing to worry about.I used a rag with a wee bit of paint thinner on the outside bottom of the tank to remove any old silicone .
After all the cleaning was done and there was no more trace of siliclone I wiped down the surface with alcohol and resiliconed the trim back on.
I used masking tape to secure all the trim in place as the silicone dried.
I also left a big blob on every corner and in the middle so the tank is not sitting directly on the glass.

Northernguy
03-14-2009, 03:07 PM
Now that the bottom is done and dry all the tape was removed and any silicone that squeezed out of ther trim is removed.
Now for the inside.After removing and cleaning the trim around the top of the tank I started to remove all the silicone seam on the inside.Make sure you use a clean blade and do not hit the edge of the glass with it.It will score the blade and scratch the glass.I went through many blades.Use alcohol and a fresh blade to remove all silicone residue.
Silicone once set does not stick to dry silicone so it is important to do the inside all at once to get a proper seal.
Tape your edges up to 3/8s from the edge.Cut a 1/4"-5/16 hole in your silicone tube.Run a straight bead from one end to the other and smooth it out flush with the tape edge to make tape removal easy.If you are not fast at this leave the silicone dry before attempting to remove the tape.Once it sets run a blade along the edge of the tape before peeling it off.
All the seams must be done before the silicone starts to set!
Use lots of ventilation to avoid the silly cone buzz!

Northernguy
03-14-2009, 03:11 PM
A few more pics.I will get more pics today as I remove all the tape!

bushwhacker
03-14-2009, 03:17 PM
wheres the pics NG??

Ellen4God
03-14-2009, 03:18 PM
Great progress!!! :19: :19: Can't wait until it's stand time! :11:

Hey, NG!! Clear out your inbox!!! lol

Wild Turkey
03-14-2009, 03:27 PM
Moving right along! I cant wait to see your oscars in there NGthumbs2:

Rue
03-14-2009, 03:33 PM
Wow! You're motoring right along!

How many hours labour do you figure it took - start to finish?

Northernguy
03-14-2009, 03:37 PM
Wow! You're motoring right along!

How many hours labour do you figure it took - start to finish?
It twice as long as it should have! I wasn't happy with the first try.I started peeling the tape too soon and lifted the silicone .I didn't trust it so I started over!:hmm3grin2orange: It took a full day to remove the inner seal and get it clean enough to reseal.Siliconing took about 20mins after the taping was done.

Ellen I cleaned out my mail box.
Bushwacker did I forget pics?lol

fishlover49
03-14-2009, 04:22 PM
Lookin' good!!! thumbs2: thumbs2:

MCHRKiller
03-14-2009, 06:14 PM
I got a 125G sitting in storage you can come re-seal for me when your done. :14: Tank looks great!

Sharon
03-14-2009, 06:21 PM
That looks very impressive! thumbs2:

Northernguy
03-14-2009, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the kind words!:22:
I like it too! hehe! thumbs2:
The lines came out nice and straight.Now to try and not do anything to it until it sets properly.I'm going to let it sit for a few days and then fill it up and let it sit until the stand is done.
I would have liked to test it outside but the weather never cooperates with me.Its still minus 20 something at night.

Northernguy
03-14-2009, 06:43 PM
I got a 125G sitting in storage you can come re-seal for me when your done. :14: Tank looks great!

:hmm3grin2orange: Can you drop it off?
It will only take 1 good days work.:hmm3grin2orange:

Crispy
03-14-2009, 08:21 PM
Good stuff here NG! I may be siliconing a big tank soon and this thread will definitely come in handy! thumbs2:

Northernguy
03-14-2009, 11:14 PM
I hope it helps! Its not hard to do but you have to be meticulous in your cleaning.The tape helps to keep your lines staight and give a nicer look when you are done.

Fraoch
03-14-2009, 11:42 PM
Very nice NG! I wonder how long it will take me to get to that stage...:18:

Northernguy
03-15-2009, 02:44 AM
Have you got the empty tank?
Make sure you have plenty of single edged blades to remove the silicone!lol

AABatteries
03-15-2009, 03:12 AM
OMG! Removing silicone is a pain in the butt!

MCHRKiller
03-15-2009, 03:58 AM
lol! I think hauling it up there would cost more than the thing is worth :P Its prolly gonna be used in the future as one nice home for a lucky bearded dragon.

Cant wait to see that tank filled up and some Os cruisin it! Hope it all works well with the filling process :22:

Northernguy
03-15-2009, 04:27 AM
Me too!:hmm3grin2orange: Thats a huge terrarium!
I don't think I will have any problems with it!...he says as he puts his hands together in prayer and stares up to the heavens.

Northernguy
03-15-2009, 02:57 PM
The tape has now all been removed and the tank is waiting to be filled.Hopefully on Monday.:19: Its just a test run until I get a stand finished.
I wish the tank was not sitting on my large work bench!I really need a garage!lol

Wild Turkey
03-15-2009, 03:02 PM
There ya go NG! Moving right alongthumbs2: The tank looks freaking great, heres hoping monday goes well, im sure it will:19:

Northernguy
03-15-2009, 03:20 PM
I've got my shop vac ready and lots of empty buckets but I reall am confident all will be fine.
I have to get the top trim finished and stuck back on still.Its hard to get all the old silicone out of those.I plan on using black silicone to when adding the trim.It will hide the corners that do not seem to join properly.The canopy will hide all that anyway but I hate messy workmanship!
This tank has no center supports across the top.Should I make some to prevent the tank from bowing out when its full.
All the newer tanks have them and I was wondering if they are really neccasary.

rageybug
03-15-2009, 03:24 PM
If you can build a suppport bar for the tank you should. That is a ton of water to lose if the tank bows and it springs a leak.

What a big project... I don't envy you (well, I do envy the tank!)

You should put your computer upstairs again, stop wasting tank repair time typing to us... back to work, we want to see this thing when it's done!

KingFisher
03-15-2009, 03:27 PM
I would definitely add a center support for some added peace of mind since you already have the tank on the workbench. That's a lot of pressure on the glass with that volume of water.

Lady Hobbs
03-15-2009, 03:27 PM
I would definately make sure you have a center brace but I think the 6 footers come wih two braces, really. Those braces prevent bowling of the glass.......therefore pressure on the side seams. I wouldn't attempt it without those braces.

Northernguy
03-15-2009, 03:52 PM
I have some 1/4" glass sitting around.I wonder if I need 1/2" glass to match the rest of the tank.I guess I could double it up and seal the edges.
HMMMM!
I'll check out how much it will cost to get some 1/2" pieces cut on Monday.
I wish we had a profesional tank builder on this site!

Rue
03-15-2009, 04:02 PM
Keep this up and you'll be our professional tank-builder before you know it!:hmm3grin2orange:

MCHRKiller
03-15-2009, 04:26 PM
Looks great NG! Your seams look alot cleaner and more professional on the last 20G long I bought at petsmart. The old style tanks used that thicker glass so they didnt need braces...but as said a good precautionary measure is always worth it. Id use atleast 1 brace on it. :)

Northernguy
03-15-2009, 04:29 PM
Keep this up and you'll be our professional tank-builder before you know it!:hmm3grin2orange:
There really is nothing to it.Its just glass ,silione, and masking tape! lol
I do plan on building a tank from scratch one day.First this one has to get up and running!

Thanks Killer!I am going with at least one,maybe three!

Sharon
03-15-2009, 05:09 PM
The tape has now all been removed and the tank is waiting to be filled.Hopefully on Monday.:19: Its just a test run until I get a stand finished.
I wish the tank was not sitting on my large work bench!I really need a garage!lol

WHAT!!!! You haven't got the stand finished yet!!! Get busy!!!:hmm3grin2orange:

Northernguy
03-15-2009, 05:54 PM
WHAT!!!! You haven't got the stand finished yet!!! Get busy!!!:hmm3grin2orange:

I am still waiting on the 2x4s!
I hope they come in on Monday.I would love to get started even though I have no room to work in at the moment.
It should be fun.I can have the saw in one hand and the shop vac in the other!:hmm3grin2orange:
It gonna get dusty down here!

Northernguy
03-16-2009, 09:34 PM
I finally got my wood!:1luvu:
It only took 3wks to get a dozen 2x4s! Unfreakin' beleivable!:hmm3grin2orange:
I'm happy,I finally get to start the stand tomorrow.:19:

Ellen4God
03-16-2009, 09:45 PM

Woooohoooo!!! :19:

Sharon
03-16-2009, 10:35 PM
Well, it's about time! How long is it going to take to make the stand...a couple of hours? :hmm3grin2orange:

Northernguy
03-16-2009, 11:44 PM
Its going to take a few days.I havent got it drawn up yet.
I have most of it planned out in my head its just to get it on paper!
I'll be starting tomorrow.:19:

fishlover49
03-17-2009, 01:27 AM

Can't wait to see pictures!!! :19:

Sharon
03-17-2009, 11:14 AM
Great! I've seen pics of the stands you've made...I can't wait to see!!!thumbs2:

Fraoch
03-17-2009, 03:13 PM
Incidentally - what will you be using to frame the top of the tank? Re-using the existing framing or getting new stuff?

I was thinking about what you could use from a standard building supply store for this. I'm not sure you could find that plastic edging...aluminum channel maybe?

Northernguy
03-17-2009, 08:28 PM
The top trim was cleaned and reinstalled already!
It turned out quite nice.I used black silicone in the corners to hide the seams better.It will be covered by the canopy and will not be seen.
I have got the legs but I seem to have carpenters block at the moment!lol
I want it to be different.I was going to use the post idea again but It would really be a pain to get strong enough.I'm sure I will come up with a plan soon.
I spent the morning fixing the stabalizer arms on my van.The roads up here have these outragious pot holes and Ice chenks all over the place.

Ellen4God
03-17-2009, 09:15 PM
The roads up here have these outragious pot holes and Ice chenks all over the place.

What's an ice chenk?

Sharon
03-17-2009, 09:21 PM
Don't know but they're hard on stabilizer arms...:hmm3grin2orange: probably ice chunks....

Ellen4God
03-17-2009, 09:28 PM
probably ice chunks....

Oooh yes. Makes sense. lol

Northernguy
03-17-2009, 09:31 PM
I don't make spelling errors often.lol
Yes I meant chunks well more like glaciers!:hmm3grin2orange:
The roads are terrible this time of year.

Northernguy
03-20-2009, 12:50 PM
I succeeded in getting the frame for the stand built!:19:
There are a few cross members to put in still but it was too late last night.
Now I have to get the pine to finish off the outside of it and close in the cabinet.I also have to get the door made and start the canopy.
Here are some pics so far.It should be strong enough!lol

Deleted User
03-20-2009, 12:52 PM
That is a very nice bit of carpentry NG. thumbs2:

Sharon
03-20-2009, 12:58 PM
Looks GREAT! I know nothing about carpentry, but I trust you!!!:hmm3grin2orange:

Northernguy
03-20-2009, 01:01 PM
Thanks Celtic Fins!:22:

Thanks Sharon! I'm glad you trust my craftmenship!:hmm3grin2orange:
I think it will without incident!thumbs2:

Fraoch
03-20-2009, 01:28 PM
OK, so now we also learn NG is a carpenter too! Feeling like an underachiever here.(blush)

That is one SOLID stand, NG! I think I could park my car on it. Then again, a 135 gallon tank will weigh almost that much when everything is added:

http://fins.actwin.com/killietalk/month.200612/msg00123.html

A 135-gallon tank is 24 inches high. After adding 3 inches of gravel,
another 3 inches will be displaced by 1-2 pounds per gallon of live rock. At
a minimum, the rock will weigh 135 pounds. If the tank is filled 75% with
water, the water alone will weigh 835 pounds. And so the total weight of a
135 gallon reef tank in pounds = 250 (tank and stand) + 176 (gravel) + 135
(rock) + 835 (water) = 1,396 pounds or almost three quarters of a ton

:ssuprised:

(OK, that's for a saltwater reef tank, but still!)

Northernguy
03-20-2009, 01:31 PM
Thanks Froach!:22:
I guesstimate the tank and stand and everything else will be pushing 1600lbs! lol

fishlover49
03-20-2009, 01:34 PM
Nice piece of work!!!! thumbs2: thumbs2:

Northernguy
03-20-2009, 01:36 PM
Thanks Nancy!:22:

Ellen4God
03-20-2009, 01:40 PM
Yay! It's exciting to see the progress!! Can't wait to see more! Great job, NG! :19:

Northernguy
03-20-2009, 01:43 PM
Yay! It's exciting to see the progress!! Can't wait to see more! Great job, NG! :19:
Thank you Ellen!
I am hopefully picking up the rest of the wood today!

Rue
03-20-2009, 03:23 PM
Cool! You're rollin' right along! Looking forward to seeing more!thumbs2:

Got a 'decorating scheme' in mind for the finish/look?

Northernguy
03-20-2009, 03:50 PM
Thanks Rue!:22:
I have to make it match the rest of my living room furniture.
It will not have any recycled trees in it like the last one but the rest will match!thumbs2:
It will have an oak and pine to finish it off!

Rue
03-20-2009, 04:29 PM
Sounds great! :ssmile:

Wild Turkey
03-20-2009, 05:38 PM
Stand looks great NG, you are really zooming along with this projectthumbs2:

Northernguy
03-20-2009, 06:00 PM
:hmm3grin2orange:
Stand looks great NG, you are really zooming along with this projectthumbs2:
Thanks WT!
lol I don't know if zooming is the right word but its getting there!:19:
I'm heading out to get some pine to finish it with.I'll do what I can this weekend ,if Nascar doesn't interfere to much!:hmm3grin2orange:

Northernguy
03-21-2009, 02:24 AM
Woohoo! It holds water!:hmm3grin2orange: lol

I have been worried about this tank only because I have never seen it full before!I filled it up earlier and no leaks!I'm thrilled.thumbs2: I didn't rip it apart the way I wanted to.I just resealed the inside.I am still checking the sides for any stretch at the seams and will be for at least a week.
At least until the stand is ready!

MCHRKiller
03-21-2009, 02:27 AM
Awesome news! Kudos on being crafty enough to reseal that thing, cant wait to see it finished :)

Northernguy
03-21-2009, 02:52 AM
I'm beginning to get anxious!lol :19:
Its nice to see it full,they look so much better!thumbs2:

Sharon
03-21-2009, 11:29 AM
It'll look even better with the Oscars in it!:19: Great newsthumbs2: ...imagine the disappointment if it had leaked!!!

Crispy
03-21-2009, 01:17 PM
Very good news NG! Can't wait to see it all restored and running again!

Northernguy
03-21-2009, 03:04 PM
It'll look even better with the Oscars in it!:19: Great news ...imagine the disappointment if it had leaked!!!

lol That would have been grossly disturbing!:hmm3grin2orange:
I havent checked on it this morning but I'm sure all that water is still where I left it!:hmm3grin2orange:

Thanks Crispy!:22:

Rue
03-21-2009, 03:13 PM
No leaks! Woohoo!

A week should be more than enough time to see if any develop...

Northernguy
03-21-2009, 03:23 PM
I hope so!lol
I would hate to blow a seam after its all set up in the living room!
It would really make a mess of my work shop right below it!:hmm3grin2orange:

Rue
03-21-2009, 03:45 PM
That's one of my nightmares...

At least down in the basement I'm not quite as worried...but upstairs? Eesh...

Northernguy
03-21-2009, 04:11 PM
That's one of my nightmares...

At least down in the basement I'm not quite as worried...but upstairs? Eesh...
All my wires and power cords are well off the floor but my computer would be drowned!:hmm3grin2orange:

I think I sealed it good enough that I should have no worries!:11: lol
I can't get over how much better they look full.Cleaner too!lol

bushwhacker
03-21-2009, 06:46 PM
NG i finally went thru this thread.. and i'm rather impressed... (not to mention jealous of that tank) LOL i think you over killed the stand 3/4 inch ply would have supported the tank, but thats just my opinion... hehe... now wheres the fish??

Wild Turkey
03-21-2009, 06:56 PM
All my wires and power cords are well off the floor but my computer would be drowned!:hmm3grin2orange:

Same! It would take 2 feet of water to touch any of tanks or their equipment, but a quarter inch would annihilate my computer and all its accessories:hmm3grin2orange: , ah priorities

Northernguy
03-21-2009, 08:17 PM
NG i finally went thru this thread.. and i'm rather impressed... (not to mention jealous of that tank) LOL i think you over killed the stand 3/4 inch ply would have supported the tank, but thats just my opinion... hehe... now wheres the fish??
LOL Thanks! If its not solid there is definately a problem.lol
To build it out of plywood would have cost me about $50 bucks more.
I want to leave the sides open so my wife can fill it with plants.The stand is going in front of my best plant window.I also have to build a canopy that can support about 6' woth of potted plants.:hmm3grin2orange:
The back of the tank will be sheilded from direct sunlight so its the sun will not be a problem.

WT I can't imagine life without a computer!It would sure be different!
More time for water changes!:hmm3grin2orange:

Crispy
03-21-2009, 08:21 PM
are the roots of the plants going to dangle into the water of the tank ??
that would be sweeeet....:18:

Northernguy
03-21-2009, 08:26 PM
I havent got any plants that show roots like that.The plants will all be in pots.Just a little extra weight!:11:
I'm sure it will hold!

bushwhacker
03-21-2009, 10:53 PM
hydroponics bud lol
get rid of the dirt build a tray and let the roots dangle in the tank

Crispy
03-21-2009, 11:04 PM
hydroponics bud lol
get rid of the dirt build a tray and let the roots dangle in the tank

agreed! you'll have the best lookin' plants around and they'll keep pollution down in the tank! I know people who have done this with amazing results!

Northernguy
03-21-2009, 11:38 PM
The Oscars would eat the roots and the ceiling isn't high enough!:hmm3grin2orange:

bushwhacker
03-22-2009, 12:38 AM
The Oscars would eat the roots and the ceiling isn't high enough!:hmm3grin2orange:

cut the ceiling out and let em grow into the attic:hmm3grin2orange:

Northernguy
03-23-2009, 02:49 PM
I managed to get some decent pine boards.Now it just a matter of cutting them down to size and massaging them to perfection before staining and adding a few coats of Varathane to keep it all purty lookin'!
The out side of the tank is still dry!:19:
I started with making the bottom shelves for the stand.There will be one on each bottom side.Here is what I have so far.

Northernguy
03-23-2009, 02:51 PM
A couple more pics!

Wild Turkey
03-23-2009, 02:52 PM
The tank looks flawless NG!! wow.thumbs2: thumbs2: :ssmile:

Rue
03-23-2009, 02:54 PM
Congrats on your dry tank!

Wood looks nice (I luv wood)! Looking forward to seeing it morph into a stand!thumbs2:

Northernguy
03-23-2009, 02:59 PM
Thank you! It coming along.I wish I didn't have to leave town for a hockey tourney but its only one day away!lol The weather has not been cooperating with me but that Mother Nature @#$%^&*() never does!
I hate sanding in the house .10mins sanding = 1/2hr of vacuuming!
Thats in a ventilated shop.lol

Rue
03-23-2009, 03:02 PM
You need one of those wood-workers vacuum gizmos...I've been told they're worth their weight in gold, or sawdust...or both! thumbs2:

Fraoch
03-23-2009, 03:02 PM
Very nice!

Hope that's not load-bearing duct tape at the bottom of that last photo in the first batch...:hmm3grin2orange:

Northernguy
03-23-2009, 03:09 PM
Very nice!

Hope that's not load-bearing duct tape at the bottom of that last photo in the first batch...:hmm3grin2orange:

Red/Green taught me that!One little piece of that tape can hold back Niagra Falls in the Spring Thaw!

Rue I have two vacuums going at the same time as my belt sander and nothing touches working outside!:hmm3grin2orange:
I have seen those units and would kill for one.
I do plan on buying a house sometime in the not so distant future so I can have my GARAGE and have more room to live around my tanks!thumbs2:
Just don't tell my wife!

Rue
03-23-2009, 03:10 PM
LOL...

We won't tell your wife. It's a secret between you, me, the 100 active members of this site, and the 2 million lurkers...:hmm3grin2orange:

Northernguy
03-23-2009, 03:13 PM
LOL...

We won't tell your wife. It's a secret between you, me, the 100 active members of this site, and the 2 million lurkers...:hmm3grin2orange:Ok but don't tell anyone else!:hmm3grin2orange:

Northernguy
03-27-2009, 01:05 AM
Just an update! lol
The weather has been nothing short of pathetic for the last few days.If its not snowing and blowing like crazy its raining steady.Its done wonders for the snow but it hasn't helped the ice at all. Not fun.Wood doesn't cooperate in such damp conditions!:11:
Unless its sealed of course!

bushwhacker
03-27-2009, 02:26 AM
Just an update! lol
The weather has been nothing short of pathetic for the last few days.If its not snowing and blowing like crazy its raining steady.Its done wonders for the snow but it hasn't helped the ice at all. Not fun.Wood doesn't cooperate in such damp conditions!:11:
Unless its sealed of course!

as an old carpenter/cabinet maker i feel your pain bud

Northernguy
03-27-2009, 02:39 AM
as an old carpenter/cabinet maker i feel your pain bud
What about the arthritus?:hmm3grin2orange:
It kicks my a$$!

bushwhacker
03-27-2009, 03:01 AM
What about the arthritus?:hmm3grin2orange:
It kicks my a$$!

i belive i did mention OLD cabinet maker LOL.. ya dont spend 30 years climbing roofs hanging rafters and various other stuff without gettin a few aches and pains

Northernguy
03-27-2009, 03:07 AM
LOL You got that right!:22:

Tamara
03-27-2009, 09:53 PM
i'm so jealous! i wish i had the time, money and experience for a larger tank. how is it coming along for you?

Northernguy
03-27-2009, 10:44 PM
I get to get back to it this weekend!:19: Between races of coarse!
Hockey Season is now officially over and I get to stay home!Ahhhhhh!
It was a great season and now I want to see every single trace of that white crap gone.:hmm3grin2orange:
Thanks for asking!

chronic
03-28-2009, 11:45 PM
I know! We finnaly got out side for a bike ride today and most good spots were dry.

But still got some snow to burn off... security gaurds too!

Tank looks awesome! Makes me jealous.

Northernguy
03-29-2009, 05:30 AM
Thanks!
You should see the stand now.The dampness got to it before I had a chance to start sealing it and a couple of 2x4s twisted.I tore it apart to remove the two.I don't understand how it happened but it will set me back a couple of days.
We have another 20" of snow on the way now too!:help:

Sharon
03-29-2009, 11:28 AM
Ahhhh...shoot! Oh well, get to it when you can!:ssmile:

Northernguy
03-29-2009, 01:33 PM
I woke up to this ugly white stuff.20 minutes later it started to pour.
Now its freezing rain.I think its a little better than snow but I just want it to go away! I thought that global warming was suppose to work opposite what we are getting.This is more like the next ice age.:spam:
I need some members from the warmer climates to send me some hot weather.Maybe it will jump start the Spring.I heard rumours yesterday that we have another full month of winter to come!:fish2: :fish2:
Don't mind me! I had to rant after going outside this morning.

:11: I hope at least NASCAR doesn't get rained out today!

Sharon
03-29-2009, 01:40 PM
Spring is really unpredictable here too. We've had very nice weather, that's supposed to continue for the next week at least. I just painted my toenails in anticipation of bare feet! :19: We could have a major storm in April...that's just the way it goes...

Rue
03-29-2009, 01:54 PM
LOL...around here they wear flip-flops while skirting large melting piles of snow...

Northernguy
03-29-2009, 01:56 PM
Rue The river backing up again this hasn't affected you at all I hope!
It looks real bad this year!

Rue
03-29-2009, 02:01 PM
Nope! We live in a desert...far away from any water, on a million feet of sand (well, at least 20'...we've dug down that far...after that we're on 300' of rock...)...

Small blessings...

Northernguy
03-29-2009, 02:06 PM
Thats good news!
You have great drainage!:hmm3grin2orange:

Rue
03-29-2009, 02:49 PM
LOL...never a wet moment around here! (Unless the garden hose breaks and floods the house of course...*knockonwood*)...

Northernguy
03-29-2009, 02:55 PM
Last year I had to dig up my back yard and install weeping tile and an overflow pit.I also made half the yard gravel to make sure I had a dry spot to walk.
I had no drainage what-so-ever and water would just pool.I am looking forward to seeing how well it works if the frost ever leaves the ground.

Why does this time of year take so darn long to pass and summer only ever feels like its a week long?

Fraoch
03-30-2009, 01:50 PM
I woke up to this ugly white stuff.20 minutes later it started to pour.
Now its freezing rain.I think its a little better than snow but I just want it to go away! I thought that global warming was suppose to work opposite what we are getting.This is more like the next ice age.
I need some members from the warmer climates to send me some hot weather.Maybe it will jump start the Spring.I heard rumours yesterday that we have another full month of winter to come!
Don't mind me! I had to rant after going outside this morning.

I hope at least NASCAR doesn't get rained out today!

Ah yes, Northern Ontario in spring...I can remember big snowbanks hanging around until May.

It's not exactly warm around here either but at least we got rid of the snow 3 weeks ago.

I'm sure it'll be warm in LA next week for me (business trip).:c3:

Rue
03-30-2009, 02:14 PM
We had another 'hot' day yesterday! It was at least 8C!thumbs2:

Still lots of snow...but the end is in sight! Woohoo!

On the negative side...our American Bulldog brought home the THIRD deer head this morning...

...I wonder if she's found a hunter's garbage pile?

Think I should set them on stakes and use them for decorations? Give the place a medieval vibe?

Northernguy
03-30-2009, 02:22 PM
LOL The game warden would nab you for poaching!:hmm3grin2orange:

I havent seen 8C yet but it sounds like a heat wave!
Its actually sunny here for the first time in what feels like weeks.thumbs2:
I should be able to get my stand back on track this afternoon.
I have to go help a little old lady out with some moving.She is getting ready to move back to ThunderBay!

Owlbehere
04-25-2009, 09:33 PM
Holy crap thats a lot of cold and wet. I cringe if its below 70 degrees here. Right now I'm sitting in my room at my computer with a ceiling fan and the windows open and its a very comfy 80 degrees.
That sucks about the damp wood. I'm planning on getting a 40 gallon breeder and want to build the stand myself. I am hoping I can salvage some wood from the remodeling of the house. That would save a bit. I hope the humidity didn't warp it though.
Any updates?

Northernguy
05-28-2009, 01:56 AM
I am closer to finally setting up my tank!:19:
I have the main part of the stand built.I still have to build the canopy and doors for both.
The filters have been running on the oscar tank for 3 months now.I think they are ready now!
I just have to get the tank back upstairs now! lol If it was a straight run it would be simple.I just don't like the idea of standing it up on end to get around the corner.lol That will be done tomorrow when I can find someone whos back doesn't happen to be out at that time.:hmm3grin2orange:
I guess no one here will be in the area?????????????lol

I'll get some pics up when I can get close to the other computer.:14:

Owlbehere
05-28-2009, 02:49 AM
Hoooray!!!

Northernguy
05-28-2009, 03:49 AM
Really! It did take way too long.
Sucks when you don't have a garage! lol
Here is a couple of pics.I'm starting on the canopy hopefully tomorrow.The stand has plants on it for tonight.

MCHRKiller
05-28-2009, 04:03 AM
That is a killer stand NG! Looks like it could hold up a mack truck :22:

Owlbehere
05-28-2009, 04:10 AM
Love the color and WOW you have a ton of plants!

Northernguy
05-28-2009, 04:39 AM
That is a killer stand NG! Looks like it could hold up a mack truck :22:
lol Thanks Jenn! It'll hold a mack truck and then some!
I sure some will say its built a wee bit too strong but they havent met my boys!lolThey bump into something and its usually tragic!lol

Thank you Owlbehere! Thats not half of them.The rest are turning my bedroom into jungle.I had one vine that was doing laps around the ceiling!lol

Wiggs
05-28-2009, 04:41 AM
Great lookin' stand NG, must have some time on your hands in the winter with all that snow you seem to get. I wouldnt leave the house :P

Northernguy
05-28-2009, 04:49 AM
Too much snow! Its no fun anymore!
I'm married with children,I never have a lot of free time!lol
Thanks Wiggs!:22:

Wild Turkey
05-28-2009, 07:11 PM
The stand looks great NG! You do not disappoint thumbs2:

It sure does look like it could hold a truck

Northernguy
05-28-2009, 07:17 PM
lol I certainly hope so! lol
The tank is almost as heavy as a new small truck.Close anyway! lol
Once I get the tank upstairs I will have my work table back and I can get the rest of it done.
My two severums are getting big at the lfs! lol
They will get the tank for a few weeks before I introduce the oscars and pleco.

Taurus
05-28-2009, 07:43 PM
Very nice looking, well built stand NG. :thumb: I like it. thumbs2:

Northernguy
05-28-2009, 09:15 PM
Thanks Taurus! :22:

Rue
05-28-2009, 09:23 PM
Nice! Love the colour too! Looking forward to seeing it all set up!thumbs2:

Northernguy
05-29-2009, 12:12 AM
Thanks Rue!
Its minwax Early American.I stain all my living rm furniture that color!

chel
05-29-2009, 12:58 AM
That stand looks great! :19:

Ashley
05-29-2009, 01:15 AM
Wow, this is an awesome thread to go through. I really can't wait to see everything all done!

Northernguy
05-29-2009, 01:20 AM
Thanks! Its appreciated!:22:

Gayle
05-29-2009, 04:09 AM
It looks really great Ray!!!!! WTG!! Now what about the tank................LMAO

Northernguy
05-29-2009, 04:15 AM
Thank You!

I'm still waiting on help to get it up the stairs.lol
I am hoping for tomorrow morning.:11:

William
05-29-2009, 04:19 AM
Your room with that stand looks like my use to. Just a little too few plants:hmm3grin2orange:

Northernguy
05-29-2009, 05:09 AM
Your room with that stand looks like my use to. Just a little too few plants:hmm3grin2orange:
lol Just a few! The other bunch is upstairs!
I don't mind them so much.Its just a lot of watering and dusting of leaves!
I guess I don't mind so much because my wife takes great care of them!:hmm3grin2orange: hehehe
Tha tanks are my job!

Fraoch
05-29-2009, 12:52 PM
Thank You!

I'm still waiting on help to get it up the stairs.lol
I am hoping for tomorrow morning.:11:

Hmm, I could take a road trip this weekend...in exchange for a spare tank, say 29 gallons or so.:hmm3grin2orange:

Northernguy
05-29-2009, 01:28 PM
Hmm, I could take a road trip this weekend...in exchange for a spare tank, say 29 gallons or so.:hmm3grin2orange:

Hmmm I have to meet my cousin down the highway today to pick up some fish food. He is bringing me another ten.lol But thats for a qt tank.:11:
Gas would kill ya ! Its 103.9/liter at the moment.
Everything is imported up here!

Fraoch
05-29-2009, 01:33 PM
Gas would kill ya ! Its 103.9/liter at the moment.
Everything is imported up here!

Not much cheaper down here!

Northernguy
05-29-2009, 01:40 PM
Gotta love Canadian fuel prices!:help: lol

bushwhacker
05-29-2009, 02:09 PM
the stand looks great bud.. are you sure the wifes going to give it back for the tank?? she may like it better with the plants

Northernguy
05-29-2009, 02:14 PM
lol I took the original plant table upstairs.lol Its getting tight up there too!
I have so many plants.Those plants that are on the top of the stand will end up on top of the canopy when its done!thumbs2:

terrapin24h
05-29-2009, 08:42 PM
ok man, fess up!
How the H&LL did you get the haze of the glass? I have a tank i tried cleaning that has the same kind of staining, and i couldn't get it off with anything i tried. Lemme know, thx!

--chris

Northernguy
05-29-2009, 09:44 PM
Everything under the sun!lol
I did try everything.Nothing beats filling it up with water and a mild bleach solution and letting sit for a few days.Then you take a razor to it.I also got some heavy duty scrub pads at NAPA for the rough stuff.
I didn't get it all out but when its full you do not see it.

terrapin24h
05-30-2009, 03:10 AM
Everything under the sun!lol
I did try everything.Nothing beats filling it up with water and a mild bleach solution and letting sit for a few days.Then you take a razor to it.I also got some heavy duty scrub pads at NAPA for the rough stuff.
I didn't get it all out but when its full you do not see it.

I did soak it; 3 days with vinegar, 3 days with oxyclean, and then 3 days with bleach. You're right, when it's filled i cant see the haze. Aggravating as hell though. I wonder if a mild cutting compound would do it, like a glass polish? hmmm

--chris

Northernguy
05-30-2009, 03:47 AM
I also tried pumice and a high speed buffing wheel!:hmm3grin2orange:
It didn't budge it!

Taurus
05-30-2009, 07:13 PM
What haze? I can't see it. :ezpi_wink1:

Northernguy
05-30-2009, 07:39 PM
I knew you would see it my way! lol:shrug:
Tanks look better full of water anyways.:plasma:

There is a new aoutomotive glass cleaner on the market.Its called "Z" something.If I can find the link I'll post it.
Its suppose to restore old windsheilds and make them look new.I just don't know if you there would be any toxic residue that would not be removable afterwards.

Northernguy
05-31-2009, 07:03 PM
We were finally able to get it up the stairs!:19:
Its set up.
The decor will have to wait till I am done making a few tubes for caves and hidey holes to keep the Severums safe from the Oscars once they are introduced.
Here it is so far!

MCHRKiller
05-31-2009, 07:52 PM
Tank looks great NG! What are you filtering that small lake with?

Northernguy
05-31-2009, 08:00 PM
lol I have a rena xP3 and a two AC50s that have been running on the oscars tank for 3 months now.I pick up my sevs tomorrow after noon.I will add the filters about two hours before geting the fish.
Is that long enough? I think it should be!
When I can afford another Rena filter I'll pick one up.I think that should do for filtration.

Northernguy
06-02-2009, 12:25 AM
I set up the Rena on the tank this morning.
I picked up my severums this afternoon!They have only been on hold for the last four months! lol Unfortunately they were only in a twenty gal at the lfs.
I thought I would also float some hornswort in the tank.
Its getting there!
I am making some tubes for the sevs to have caves and the pleco when he gets in there too!:19:

Northernguy
06-02-2009, 12:27 AM
Here is a pic or three of the sevs.They are kinda shy still lol.They are lost in an ocean!lol

blacksnow
06-02-2009, 12:36 AM
Did you use anything to attach the hornwort to the driftwood?

Northernguy
06-02-2009, 12:41 AM
LOL A powerhead! The current from the power head is holding it on!
You can use fishing line,elastics,thread.Anything but metal.

Gayle
06-02-2009, 12:43 AM
It looks so so good Ray!!!!! Wow!!! You have done an excellent job!!!!! WTG!!!

blacksnow
06-02-2009, 12:43 AM
Is that rock cave siliconed together?

Looks kinda sketchy =O

Northernguy
06-02-2009, 12:50 AM
LOL Nope but it will not move unless I really push hard.I can't see these little guys moving it either.In a month or so when my Oscars are introduced the tank will be changed around.

Thank you Gayle!:19:

blacksnow
06-02-2009, 12:53 AM
LOL Nope but it will not move unless I really push hard.I can't see thes little guys moving it either.In a month or so when my Oscars are introduced the tank will be changed around.

Thank you Gayle!:19:

Cool! I had some sketchy caves but got nervous of my eel or oscar knocking them down =O

When I did my rocks this time around I didn't use any adhesive, but they are solid structures ;)

Northernguy
06-02-2009, 12:55 AM
As long as they are not rocking or easy to slide they are fine.Always best to have something underneath.Some use egg crates I like plexi glass under the sand if you can afford it.

blacksnow
06-02-2009, 01:07 AM
As long as they are not rocking or easy to slide they are fine.Always best to have something underneath.Some use egg crates I like plexi glass under the sand if you can afford it.

Ya I heard about both those methods.

Someone recommended this plastic stuff you can find in the drop ceilings/lighting section of home depot/lowes. I can't think of the exact name, but it sounded perfect.

When we move my 125g setup will turn into a loach community tank. I'll be putting that stuff down, because I'll have multiple rock caves setup.

Northernguy
06-02-2009, 02:07 AM
You can also get a styro 3-d background that goes in the tank.They are really cool if your tank is deep enough.You can stack the rocks against it.It has cut outs in the back for hiding hoses.

Northernguy
06-02-2009, 02:09 PM
Heres some pics of the new Sevs! First fish in the tank!:19:
They look so small in there! lol

Rue
06-02-2009, 02:27 PM
...but so much room for them to grow! :19:

...the other product is generally known as 'eggcrate'...

Northernguy
06-02-2009, 02:53 PM
I hope they do grow fast!lol
They are about 4" and I need them to be 6 inches! lol If they are too small when I introduce the Oscars they will be in trouble,unless I feed them cans of Whoop A$$!lol

terrapin24h
06-03-2009, 01:17 PM
Huh. Woulda thunk that NG could actually do a nice looking tank, I thought he just built stands :18:

Looks great man, them are some lucky fishes you got there, and i can't wait to see them grow into that beautiful home you've built for'm

--chris

Northernguy
06-03-2009, 01:27 PM
Thanks bud!:hmm3grin2orange:

I do have some of that artsy fartsy stuff in my blood!:19:

I hope they grow fast! lol

Crispy
06-03-2009, 06:07 PM
good job on the build NG! Looks good.... thumbs2:

Northernguy
06-03-2009, 11:24 PM
Thanks Crispy!
Its getting there.I won't have time to work on the canopy until the weekend,but its getting there!
Have you been away or something?
I havent talked to you in a while!

Northernguy
06-06-2009, 03:44 PM
I took a few more pics of the severums.
I love how red they seem to be getting!thumbs2:

Owlbehere
06-06-2009, 03:46 PM
Wow they are really pretty

Northernguy
06-06-2009, 09:45 PM
Thanks! I do really like all the color changes I've seen.
I could get sure used to the red!

Sharon
06-06-2009, 11:25 PM
They are lovely!!!thumbs2:

Northernguy
06-07-2009, 03:17 AM
Thank you Sharon!
They are interesting to watch too! I'm not sure if they are male and female yet or both the same sex.I don't know if they are mating or what they are doing? Taking turns chasing each other back and forth using up the whole tank.They should grow fast getting that kind of exercise! lol

Northernguy
09-27-2009, 03:22 PM
Its been a while since I posted here! lol
I still havent had a chance to get any doors made!lol I have been way to busy with every one elses projects!
Here is a few shots of what the tank and fish look like now!

Lab_Rat
09-27-2009, 05:10 PM
Great looking tank and fish! thumbs2:

Crispy
09-27-2009, 05:53 PM
Nice setup NG. I like the floating plants.. are they the silk ones?

Rue
09-27-2009, 06:01 PM
Yup...I love it! Looks great!thumbs2:

AmyLynn
09-27-2009, 06:24 PM
What a fantastic thread and a great ending pic!

Yes, I read through the entire thread. Yes, I'm bored and yes, I'm avoiding housework. LOL

Northernguy
09-27-2009, 07:13 PM
Nice setup NG. I like the floating plants.. are they the silk ones?
All the Hornswort is live.
It gives the oscars something to tear apart when they get bored!lol They also pick less at all the fake plants since I added that.thumbs2:

Thanks for the kind words everyone!
I am planning a large change soon.I have a bunch of driftwood and rocks I found while out fishing this year.I have been to busy to get any of it ready!I'll be posting more pics up soon.

Owlbehere
09-27-2009, 09:06 PM
Where did the severums go?

Northernguy
09-27-2009, 10:59 PM
I still have the severums! lol
I switched them with the oscars.I wanted to add the oscars but there was such a large difference in size that I had to put them in a smaller tank.
I really didn't want the sevs to get hurt.I have also bought a male gold severum to go in with my two females.
I'll get some sev pics up shortly!

MCHRKiller
09-28-2009, 12:59 AM
Os are looking pretty sweet NG, tank looks nice to :22:

rich311k
09-28-2009, 01:07 AM
Great looking setup and fish!

Nobodynotime
09-28-2009, 01:11 AM
Wow I really like those oscars. They look great. This might be a stupid question but can an albino mate with a regular oscar?

Northernguy
09-28-2009, 02:24 PM
Yes! Oscars need only the opposite sex and a willing partner! lol
I would love to see these two do something but I think its just high hopes at this point!lol

Red
09-28-2009, 03:30 PM
Very nice there NG, love the tank and oscars!

Northernguy
10-11-2009, 03:08 PM
Thanks Red!
I thought I would add these few more!thumbs2:

Rue
10-11-2009, 03:16 PM
Nice!thumbs2: :19: :11:

Northernguy
10-14-2009, 01:54 PM
Thanks Rue!
My two fresh water puppies! lolthumbs2:

rich311k
10-14-2009, 01:57 PM
They are great fish! Handsome and the picture of health.

Neon
10-14-2009, 02:05 PM
great pics and awsome fish...thumbs2:

Sharon
10-14-2009, 02:30 PM
Oh, they ARE pretty!thumbs2: I wish I had room for one...

Northernguy
10-14-2009, 11:34 PM
Thanks again! They are fun fish to own!:22:

domjd05
10-24-2009, 02:08 AM
NG it's been a little while.. lets see some new pics!!! lol

Northernguy
10-24-2009, 04:35 AM
lol I'll get some tomorrow! :hmm3grin2orange:
I have been really busy with other projects and puppy training.lol

domjd05
10-25-2009, 01:34 AM
A pic of the new puppy wouldn't hurt either lol.

Northernguy
12-12-2009, 06:24 PM
Sorry dom its been a while.lol

I will be getting some good pics again soon.I have these shots that I should have posted here already.I'm sure many have these already.

Ellen4God
01-11-2010, 02:40 AM
Sorry dom its been a while.lol

I will be getting some good pics again soon.I have these shots that I should have posted here already.I'm sure many have these already.

Wow. Your tank looks amazing!! Not surprising one bit, of course. :) I hope you're doing well.

Northernguy
01-11-2010, 03:34 AM
Hey Ellen! It been awhile! lol:19:
How are you doing?

My tanks are all doing well.
I just finished a quick 2hr water change on this tank.Did 4 tanks today.The rest tomorrow.

Ellen4God
01-11-2010, 04:02 AM
Hey Ellen! It been awhile! lol:19:
How are you doing?

My tanks are all doing well.
I just finished a quick 2hr water change on this tank.Did 4 tanks today.The rest tomorrow.

It has been a long while. :) I'm doing okay - healing after some life hurts. I'll have to look through this thread to see all of your pics. I love love the tank! :)

Northernguy
03-28-2010, 03:52 PM
Its time for an update here!lol
The tank is still running great.The oscars are getting large and so is my pleco.All 3 are still getting along quite well.I am thinking about a few more caves to it and putting my Malaysian perch in there and my gold severum.
I think it may work out if they have enough hiding places to get away from the oscars.
The oscars are approaching 14" right now.The pleco is about 12"

Cliff
03-28-2010, 04:13 PM
Nice fish Northern guy. I would love to have a tank big enough for oscars.

I really like your pleco. One of my favourites

Oscar_freak12321
03-28-2010, 06:02 PM
Some more great looking fish in another great looking tank of yours NG! thumbs2:

Northernguy
03-28-2010, 08:01 PM
Thanks guys! :22:
The tank itself itself hasn't had much change since I posted last. The fish are just getting bigger.lol
I do plan on trying out my perch and sev real soon.Kinda nervous about it though!lol The Os have never been fed live so I have no idea how they will react.

rich311k
03-28-2010, 09:42 PM
The fish look great! Excellent shots of them.

AmyLynn
03-28-2010, 10:23 PM
The big guys are looking good! thumbs2:

Northernguy
03-28-2010, 11:47 PM
:22: Thank you!

chronic
03-30-2010, 05:44 AM
Looks awesome!!

Rue
03-30-2010, 04:56 PM
The fish look wonderful!:1luvu:

How's your hand after all that hard work?

Northernguy
03-30-2010, 05:27 PM
My hand has been healing very well.
It is still a wee bit tender inside where the incision was done but thats to be expected.It is safe to put my hand back in the water now.lol
The tanks are not a hard work but its certainly a lot of work.:hmm3grin2orange: Its part of the hobby and it gives me something to do!lol I certainly do enjoy having them.thumbs2:

Northernguy
04-24-2010, 02:07 AM
I guess I should put some pics up of the canopy.Its almost complete but still needs doors.lol I finally decided to make 3 sliding doors for the front.The back will have a couple of large doors that flip up.Its necessary because the tank is front of a large window that gets morning sun.Right now there is some bristol board hanging in the back and some to block the glow of the lights.
Two of the pics are of the oak frame that is in place to hold the canopy up on the tank. It also made it easy to keep the top straight.I'd be surprised if it split or warped,it has 4 coats of finish on it.

tanks4thememories
04-24-2010, 02:45 AM
Thanks Red!
I thought I would add these few more!thumbs2:
Beautiful!!

Northernguy
04-24-2010, 04:29 AM
Thanks Tanks!:22:

Cliff
04-24-2010, 04:44 AM
I love the look of real wood.

really good work there Northernguy

Northernguy
06-20-2010, 04:09 PM
I switched the tank around,its not too different.Here are a few shots.

Northernguy
06-20-2010, 04:11 PM
A few more.

little hawaii
06-20-2010, 04:13 PM
Hey Nguy: Nice Tank and spoiled oscars. WE have similar tastes in aquascaping.:18:

taralm13
06-20-2010, 06:24 PM
I just read this entire thread......wow....
:yellowbow: :yellowbow: :yellowbow:

Northernguy
06-20-2010, 06:34 PM
I just read this entire thread......wow....
lol :22: Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it!
Its been a lot of work but well worth it.thumbs2:

Thanks little hawaii!

Northernguy
07-06-2010, 02:13 PM
My oscars were having some fun moving the driftwood around.I was rather surprised when the albino flipped the driftwood over to make more room.lol
They also moved all the sand from there to the middle of the tank.
They are signs of a spawn but I think they are just getting my hopes up for nothing.They do it all the time.

Cliff
07-07-2010, 01:07 AM
I love the action shot you got of the your oscar moving the driftwood

Great pics

rich311k
07-07-2010, 01:16 AM
What happy homemakers! Great shots and fish.

Yourkisa
07-07-2010, 01:46 AM
Looks like you have a couple of interior decorators there !

Nicelly done, and a great read from start to finish, actually made me go get a notebook and start jotting down the odd trick and tip there, thanks !

Nice work and great fish too

Northernguy
07-07-2010, 02:27 PM
Glad it was helpful Yourkisa!thumbs2:
Thanks for the compliments guys!:22:

Rue
07-07-2010, 02:43 PM
I always get a kick when animals rearrange their environment to suit themselves. We tend to get used to arranging things for them and expecting them to accept it...

...always funny when they don't...:hmm3grin2orange:

Northernguy
07-07-2010, 03:00 PM
Mine are starting to get testy about me setting up the tank the way I like it!:hmm3grin2orange: They attack the vacuum tube,start bumping my hand,and then go their corner to talk about payback.lolUsually in the form of a good splash.I have been soaked more then once.lol
They immediately start to move plants and sand around as soon as I am done.
They a great fish to keep.thumbs2:

Northernguy
04-22-2011, 02:14 PM
Time for some recent pics.

Northernguy
04-22-2011, 02:18 PM
a few more pics