PDA

View Full Version : First saltwater tank setup

wis_fishing_guy
02-23-2009, 03:31 PM
Hi,Everyone

Well I have been reading around here for a few weeks more about freshwater.Because I have just set up my first tank and every thing has gone great.Thanks to all the great info around here.

But now I want to set up my first Saltwater Reef/Fish tank.I just bought a used 48gal Bow with stand full glass top 48'' light and a Fluval 304 MSF.I paid $125 for everything.Thoght that was a good price there is one scratch on the in side of tank other wise it is like new.

I want to make sure I do everything right with the right equipment such as filter media.I would like to at least start cyling the tank this week.So where should I start.

Thanks

Rue
02-23-2009, 03:55 PM
Congrats on your FW tank!

SW is a whole 'nother ball game.

I'd start by reading a couple of beginner books. All the new ones available are quite good.

First you need to decide if you only want fish, or a reef (much more involved).

Then you have to buy proper lighting - very expensive. Allow at least $300-500.

You'll need live rock, also very expensive (1- 1.5 lbs per gallon, so for a 48 g tank you'll want ~ 65 lbs at anywhere from $6-10/lb). You'll need a protein skimmer (get a good quality one, the cheap ones are a waste of money). You'll need aragonite substrate, a refractometer (to measure your specific gravity). Decide which salt mix you want to use. Decide whether you want to buy your reverse osmosis water, or if you want to install your own R/O unit. etc.,

Once you've done a little research, then you can ask more specific questions that we can hopefully help you out with.

travie
02-23-2009, 04:20 PM
I would get your FW tank stabilized and healthy before you start physically setting up a tank for SW. While this is happening, start reading books and articles on setting up a SW tank. Patience is one major key to success with SW tanks.

AABatteries
02-25-2009, 03:00 AM
Research! You can never do enough of it. I researched for 3 months(at least 30 mins every night) and I'm finally going to be starting my SW tank. And I know there is a lot more I could learn. So do your research, it will pay off.

wis_fishing_guy
03-02-2009, 01:36 PM
Well I have been doing nothing but ready for the last week.Being layed off from work helps on reading time lol.

I added my R/O water and salt over the weekend.My readings are all good.Have just had a couple power heads running in there the last couple of days.Will be getting my live rock tonight I would wait but it will be gone fast at 3.40lb.My sand should be here in the next couple of days.I ordered that from docfostersmith 60lbs.

Just thoight I would keep you posted.

Rue
03-02-2009, 02:26 PM
Excellent!thumbs2:

I know it sounds odd...but you'll have fun watching your rock 'come alive'...

Good deal on the live rock!

wis_fishing_guy
03-02-2009, 03:12 PM
Excellent!thumbs2:

I know it sounds odd...but you'll have fun watching your rock 'come alive'...

Good deal on the live rock!

Yeah,I know I am looking forward to itthumbs2:

ILuvMyGoldBarb
03-02-2009, 03:59 PM
I don't want to discourage you from trying a SW tank, in fact II'd like to encourage you to do one, but 2 weeks worth of reading will not adequately prepare you for the SW hobby. You have jumped in just a little to fast. As Rue stated, SW is a whole new ball game.

What kind of tank are you planning?
What kind of lighting do you have?
What fish are you planning to keep?
If reef, what corals are you planning to keep?
What skimmer do you have?
How are you measuring your SG?
Do you understand the maturation process?

Those are all questions you should answer prior to setting up the tank. You have your tank with water, and a couple of powerheads, and that's fine, we can still help you make this tank a success, but you are going to need to slow down with this. It is a well known fact among experienced reef keepers that "Nothing good ever happens fast in a SW tank." I'd recommend that after you put your live rock and sand in there, you wait a while and do a lot, and I mean a lot more reading. Go to the library and see if they have The New Marine Aquarium by Michael Paletta, and The Concencious Marine Aquarist by Bob Fenner. I'd recommend you read both of those before you add any livestock of any kind to your tank.

wis_fishing_guy
03-02-2009, 04:27 PM
I don't want to discourage you from trying a SW tank, in fact II'd like to encourage you to do one, but 2 weeks worth of reading will not adequately prepare you for the SW hobby. You have jumped in just a little to fast. As Rue stated, SW is a whole new ball game.

What fish are you planning to keep?
If reef, what corals are you planning to keep?

Those are all questions you should answer prior to setting up the tank. You have your tank with water, and a couple of powerheads, and that's fine, we can still help you make this tank a success, but you are going to need to slow down with this. It is a well known fact among experienced reef keepers that "Nothing good ever happens fast in a SW tank." I'd recommend that after you put your live rock and sand in there, you wait a while and do a lot, and I mean a lot more reading. Go to the library and see if they have The New Marine Aquarium by Michael Paletta, and The Concencious Marine Aquarist by Bob Fenner. I'd recommend you read both of those before you add any livestock of any kind to your tank.

Reef/Reef friendly fish

high output lighting in the works.

Dont need one yet.But will be getting a good one.

Hydrometer now have refractometer coming in mail.

Yes I do and that is why I am taking this slow and plan on only have live rock and live sand for at least the first 2 month.Then maybe a couple snails and so on.

Thanks...

I am not jumping into this.I am gointo go slow.Already told the family it will be mouths b4 any fish go into the tank.

rageybug
03-02-2009, 04:27 PM
Sounds like you have decided to jump right in. Even though slow is the best pace for a SW tank, I know that nobody here will be able to change your mind! A new SW tank is very exciting and it will be a very rewarding decision if you can pull it off. Just be prepared to lose a fair bit of fish/corals in the next year if you rush.

I would recommend putting in your LR and sand and let the tank do it's thing for a few months. Don't add any fish yet, just learn to love watching the LR come alive. As long as you have some flow and good lights at this point, your work is done. You can decide what kind of "stuff" you want later on as you will need a few months for the tank to start establishing.

The first "live stuff" you should add is your cleaner crew. Get some hermits and snails and let them do their thing. It is SO tempting to buy fish right away but it is just a bad idea. Just be patient....

rageybug
03-02-2009, 04:29 PM
Reef/Reef friendly fish

high output lighting in the works.

Dont need one yet.But will be getting a good one.

Hydrometer now have refractometer coming in mail.

Yes I do and that is why I am taking this slow and plan on only have live rock and live sand for at least the first 2 month.Then maybe a couple snails and so on.

Thanks...

I am not jumping into this.I am gointo go slow.Already told the family it will be mouths b4 any fish go into the tank.

Oops.. we posted at the same time! Sounds like you have the right mindset to do this tank right! Keep us posted please....

ILuvMyGoldBarb
03-02-2009, 04:36 PM

Well, setting up your tank 2-3 weeks after you first start reading is jumping in IMO. Ask any of anyone like myself, unleashed, rageybug, and others who have successful reefs around here, how long we waited to setup the tank after we started reading/researching. I know personally, I did about a year or two of reading and asking questions before I started mine. You have obviously done a lot of reading in the last 3 weeks but you would be amazed at how much more there is to learn.

rageybug
03-02-2009, 04:51 PM
Well, setting up your tank 2-3 weeks after you first start reading is jumping in IMO. Ask any of anyone like myself, unleashed, rageybug, and others who have successful reefs around here, how long we waited to setup the tank after we started reading/researching. I know personally, I did about a year or two of reading and asking questions before I started mine. You have obviously done a lot of reading in the last 3 weeks but you would be amazed at how much more there is to learn.

ILMGB is right... but, I may not be the best example of "doing it right"!!

I started my SW tank on a whim... just said "I want a reef tank". Everytime I went to Big Al's for some more chiclids, I would find myself in the SW section. I'm not sure how, but I just always ended up in the SW section.

I had done some research, but not nearly enough. I have had fish for years but always FW tanks. I had a false sense that I knew enough about FW so how hard can SW be... fish are fish right? WRONG

I would say in my first year, I lost about 9-10 fish in my SW tank. An expensive error on my part. I was not a member here when I started my reef, and was doing it solo. I found this site to help me get back on track, and it has helped... a lot.

It can be a hard pill to swallow, but I would bet big money that the collective knowledge of this forum far exceeds yours. That is not a direct jab at you, it applys to me, ILMGB and every single other member. Let's face it, the knowledge of many is much greater than the knowledge of one. Try to take the tips you get here to heart and good luck with the tank.

It would be great if you could start a thread showing the tank set-up and keep us all up to speed with everything that happens with the reef tank!