PDA

View Full Version : reasons why I shouldn't keep a male betta with several female betta's

Chicklet
02-22-2009, 10:43 PM
I'd like to know all the reasons why I shouldn't keep a male betta with several female betta's
I suppose I know different reasons, But would like a collective thought on why I should remove two male betta's that are with 4 females each.
They are totally peaceful together, Never seen any signs of aggression in any way, They pass close by each other, and continue on their business, Been like this for days now, I keep waiting to see signs of aggression. But it don't seem to happen, There is also a snail and bottom feeders in with these.

Sir Tristen
02-22-2009, 11:11 PM
As long as they are peacefully living together, I suppose it's okay. I'd be afraid that things would eventually explode, and around spawning time they almost certainly will, but if they are okay for now than maybe . . .

wolf_eyes
02-23-2009, 12:24 AM
I've seen a male/female betta community done before (the extreme exception to the rule), but there are potential problems.

In case a male decides he wants to spawn with one of the females and she's not ready/willing, he could get very frustrated and attack her. Or the other male might get jealous and try to spar with him. I don't know the size of the tank/ tank decor but if there isn't a whole lot of room/thing to hide behind the males may continue to fight and severely harm each other.

Mvjnz
02-23-2009, 12:45 AM
If it's working then there's no reason to remove anyone. Just keep an eye on them.

And the tank will need lots of plants and caves as hiding spots fow when he decides he wants to spawn.

wolf_eyes
02-23-2009, 01:18 AM
how big is this tank and how many fish are in it if i could ask?

Chicklet
02-23-2009, 03:50 AM
It's two different tanks, with only one male betta per tank with 4 females each.

for starters there both 10 gallon tanks, if it continues to work good i'll probably upgrade to a larger size.

wolf_eyes
02-23-2009, 07:26 PM
Well some say don't mess with success but in that small of a tank i would get really worried. If things do happen, they're going to happen quick and its going to get really ugly really fast. I personally would take the male out and have the females together. It still won't be 100% peaceful but it will be safer.

Chicklet
02-23-2009, 08:37 PM
I'm here in the same room as my fish alll day every day, I'm up till 2 in the morning and back up at 7 in the morning, I go to town about once a week, other then that, my fish gets a big hugh chunk of my attention, My hands are pretty much water logged from messing with my tanks so much, I feel pretty confident there will be no problems, There is lots of plants and places to hide.
They will be going to a 20 gallon once its ready, if everything keeps going ok.

wolf_eyes
02-24-2009, 12:47 AM
Well looks like you figured out your own problem then. Good luck , hope nothing happens.