PDA

View Full Version : Okay - I at least have to ask.

Ellen4God
02-22-2009, 09:26 PM
I've been planning on getting three otos for my 20g long once I let the algae build up. But, toddnbecka recommended that I just go ahead and get a bristle nose pleco instead. So, of course...I started thinking...

I think my Petsmart has BN and rubber lipped plecos (as well as commons, of course..but I don't want any of those). I have wanted a pleco, but never could have one because I only had a 10g tank.

So, could I get one of these guys for my tank, or should I just stick with my original plan and get otos? I'd love to get a couple pitbull plecos, but I don't think they have any of those.

gm72
02-22-2009, 09:28 PM
In a 20 long I'd stick with the otos, I prefer to let my larger fish (anything over 3-4") enjoy a larger tank. I'm not saying you couldn't successfully keep a BN in a 20 long, just saying I personally would prefer to see the fish have more room.

Ellen4God
02-22-2009, 09:32 PM
In a 20 long I'd stick with the otos, I prefer to let my larger fish (anything over 3-4") enjoy a larger tank. I'm not saying you couldn't successfully keep a BN in a 20 long, just saying I personally would prefer to see the fish have more room.

Makes sense! Thanks. :)

Fishalicious
02-22-2009, 09:40 PM
The territory of a small pleco is really small but even so the waste production is always huge with these guys... Oto's are much cleaner all round and you can get a little group of 6... much less harm to your water chemistry

invadertoast
02-22-2009, 09:44 PM
I added a small BN to my 20 long a couple weeks ago, and I can't believe the poo that thing produces!! I wasn't planning on getting a BN but I couldn't pass it up. Very ineteresting to watch and chows down on algae, but my otos in my 23 eat just as much without the waste. Honestly I'm not sure which one I like more, I like having different things in my two tanks I guess. It's been years since I've had a pleco (I only ever had commons when I was younger) and I think they're gorgeous, so I'm glad I picked mine up. This probably doesn't help you make your decision at all but I thought I'd share, lol

Just wanted to add I have white pool filter sand in both tanks, I have more fish in my 23 than I do in my 20 long, but you can see poo all over the white sand from the pleco while the sand in my 23 stays spotless (not sure if it has something to do with my ghost shrimp or not though)

Algenco
02-22-2009, 09:53 PM
While very peaceful a full grown male can destroy a tank if startled

gm72
02-22-2009, 10:00 PM
While very peaceful a full grown male can destroy a tank if startled

Especially in a smaller tank. Agreed.

troy
02-22-2009, 10:17 PM
I've been planning on getting three otos for my 20g long once I let the algae build up. But, toddnbecka recommended that I just go ahead and get a bristle nose pleco instead. So, of course...I started thinking...

I think my Petsmart has BN and rubber lipped plecos (as well as commons, of course..but I don't want any of those). I have wanted a pleco, but never could have one because I only had a 10g tank.

So, could I get one of these guys for my tank, or should I just stick with my original plan and get otos? I'd love to get a couple pitbull plecos, but I don't think they have any of those.
Pitbull plecos only get about 2 inches long. Parotocinclus are very similar to otos( otos lack an adipose fin) so you could get 4 of those instead of the four otos you were planning.

Ellen4God
02-23-2009, 03:18 AM
I think I'll stick with my otos after reading all of this. I'll probably get maybe 4 of them (you say I could get 6 - wouldn't this be pushing my limits some if I have 6 corys, 10-12 neons, and then 6 otos?). Thanks ofr the help, ya'll!!! :)

Algenco
02-23-2009, 03:26 AM
I think I'll stick with my otos after reading all of this. I'll probably get maybe 4 of them (you say I could get 6 - wouldn't this be pushing my limits some if I have 6 corys, 10-12 neons, and then 6 otos?). Thanks ofr the help, ya'll!!! :)

not at all, plus it is common to lose 1-2 oto's, make them catch the ones with plump bellies

Ellen4God
02-23-2009, 03:35 AM
not at all, plus it is common to lose 1-2 oto's, make them catch the ones with plump bellies

Oh! Nice! Thanks :)