PDA

View Full Version : Rather Difficult

ILuvMyGoldBarb
02-22-2009, 06:48 PM
This guy is one the most difficult fish in my tank to photograph. He is fast, and never stops moving; a terrible combo for trying to photograph. Any tips on how to get get a good shot of him?

F-stop: f/5.6
Exposure time: 1/40 sec.
ISO speed: ISO-1600
Exposure bias: 0 step
Focal length: 70mm
Max aperture: 4.97
Metering mode: Pattern

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/iluvmygoldbarb/MarineTank257.jpg

fins_n_fur
02-22-2009, 06:59 PM
That's a pretty good shot, actually. This might be a totally stupid suggestion, but have you thought about using sports mode (running person icon) and set to continuous shooting (if not already defaulted to continuous in this mode)?

ILuvMyGoldBarb
02-22-2009, 07:02 PM
I do have the camera set to continuous. :) Good suggestion though. I've tried the sports mode, but for some reason the shutter speed ends up being too slow.

Thanks for the ideas. Maybe I need to try the sports mode again.

Deleted User
02-22-2009, 07:11 PM
Great shot ILMGB. thumbs2:

I don't know what camera or lens you have but on my nikon the settings in blue is what I use. :ssmile:

F-stop: f/5.6 Try f 11
Exposure time: 1/40 sec. Try 1/160
ISO speed: ISO-1600 Try ISO 100
Exposure bias: 0 step
Focal length: 70mm
Max aperture: 4.97
Metering mode: Pattern

ILuvMyGoldBarb
02-22-2009, 07:17 PM
Sorry, forgot to put that info in there. The camera is the Sony A200, lens is a 18-70mm.

sandy_n
02-23-2009, 08:15 AM
What a beautiful fish!

angelcakes
02-23-2009, 08:24 AM
i think the shot has come out extremley well:19: nice fish to:19:

W_Oz
02-23-2009, 07:26 PM
Personally I'd try to get some bigger strobes/lights on your subject. Combined with a higher F-Stop to deepen your field of focus, faster shutter, and some slower "film" to reduce the grain. (All the things that Celtic mentioned) Though I'd personally try it at ISO 800 or 400.

I think the key for this is really going to be getting more light on your subject.

Something else you might try, if getting more light isn't an immediate option, is a motion blur style of shot. Track the subject through the lens while focusing on it then snap a series of shots while continuing to track it. Your background will end up a mess but you might have more luck with getting a good, in focus, shot of your subject. I know that we had to do that for some of the guys who were shooting slower film at night games while I was on the photography staff for my HS. I realize this is more complicated because of the fact that you're shooting through glass and water interfaces, however if your lens is fast enough and/or you're experienced enough you should be able to get some good shots that way.

Newfish79
02-26-2009, 02:29 PM
I am not sure if your camera is a DSLR or not, but if it is, you need a nifty 50:shappy: My sister has a nikon D90 and uses her 50mm lens and the shots just come out spectacular!! Oh and rapid fire is a must. I have rainbows and that is the only way we have gotten good pics.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
02-26-2009, 02:39 PM
Newfish, my camera is a DSLR, I used a 18-70mm lens for that shot, and I have a 75-300mm that I can use as well.

Mith
04-03-2009, 08:29 AM
I srttil dont knw enough about cameras to help you there, but I have to say that fish is stunningly gorgeous! Can you tell me what kind of fish it is?

ILuvMyGoldBarb
04-03-2009, 11:23 AM
Mith, that is a Lamarck's Angel.

Northernguy
04-03-2009, 12:58 PM
Thats a beauty of a fish! The pics not bad.
I keep my camera on manual and my ISO is usually at 800 for fish pics.

Mith
04-08-2009, 03:31 AM
Mith, that is a Lamarck's Angel.

Well it's as pretty as ANY fish!

KatzeSlaugen
04-10-2009, 05:09 PM
in my tank when i take pics of fast fish i usually use an iso of about 300 fstop around 5.6 a focal length of 55mm and a shutter speed of 1/125th i use a flash but as long as your taking the picture on an angle your too zoomed to see the glare from it.
works for me!

Mith
05-26-2009, 02:18 AM
OK, I've become a little more familiar with my camera (Canon xsi 450D) and can offer the following.

First, with fish pictures I always use my flash. You CAN take photos without it, but they are always way too dark and you need to slow the shutter speed (I seldom go less than 100) in order bto get the proper lighting, but not at a cost. BLURRS! I almost always keep my shutter speed at 200! This means I have to raise my ISO to 800 or 1600 in order to get more light. OR you can lower the F number (forgot what it's called.....aperature?) which will brighten the pic up a bit, but you lose depth of field by doing that.

For ME.....a shutter speed of 40 is way too slow.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
05-26-2009, 02:25 AM
Well, the problem with getting into an ISO of 1600 is you get a lot of noise in the shot. If you are using a flash, there are a few tricks to that as well. First of all, it is best to have the flash remote and pointed down into the tank if possible, however if that is not possible, a good way to diffuse the flash is by pointing the flash upwards (if you have a variable angle flash, not just the pop-up one on the camera) or another thing that doesn't work too bad is to use the "slow-sync" setting for your flash. Best option is to have a remote flash that shoots down and the second best would be diffusing the flash by pointing it up.

Mith, the key to being able to take shots with no flash at all is to have a well lit tank. My tank has 8x39w T5HO lighting on it. :)

Brookfish
05-26-2009, 02:25 AM
Great shot of a very nice fish!

Northernguy
05-26-2009, 03:26 AM
Very nice pic!thumbs2:

Gayle
05-26-2009, 04:09 AM
Well I cant help you with any of the camera talk LOL but I think it is a lovely pic!!!! Very nicely colored fish!!!!!

deonild
07-14-2009, 06:35 PM
I'd say for a fast fish, you should experiment using your fastest shutter speed like 1/2000, high ISO so you can capture a good amount of light, and probably low F-stop will be needed meaning you'll have to take a close-up shot and it will blur the background. I'm no expert but have been experimenting myself. Good luck.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
07-14-2009, 09:31 PM
thanks for the idea deonild, however with digital SLR camers, the higher your the ISO you use more "noise" you get in your shot. Also, a 1/2000 shutter speed would require a flash placed on top of the tank to flash downward.

KatzeSlaugen
07-14-2009, 10:11 PM
Well, the problem with getting into an ISO of 1600 is you get a lot of noise in the shot. If you are using a flash, there are a few tricks to that as well. First of all, it is best to have the flash remote and pointed down into the tank if possible, however if that is not possible, a good way to diffuse the flash is by pointing the flash upwards (if you have a variable angle flash, not just the pop-up one on the camera) or another thing that doesn't work too bad is to use the "slow-sync" setting for your flash. Best option is to have a remote flash that shoots down and the second best would be diffusing the flash by pointing it up.

Mith, the key to being able to take shots with no flash at all is to have a well lit tank. My tank has 8x39w T5HO lighting on it. :)

another thing i do with the flash (nikon D40) is i just ahve the pop up flash. since i usually always take close ups this works. i put my lens so close to the glass thats its litterally touching it (manual focus so i dont have to worry about it trying to set the focus on the glass) and it does 2 things. your flash is reflected off the glass above the lense so the light cant bounce straight into the lense and white the picture out and if your glass has imperfections you cant even see then

rich311k
07-14-2009, 10:20 PM
I use multiple flashes a shutter of 1/180, iso 200. I focus manually. I set the f as high as I can and still get good light. The lighting is the key.

Mith
07-15-2009, 04:19 AM

I'm going to have to look into a different flash system....