PDA

View Full Version : Ideal Betta Tankmates?

Slow Cheetah
02-22-2009, 10:19 AM
Hi

Just recently bought a new 10 gal(good quality for once lol) and amd planning on getting a betta for it.

i have previously had a betta with cories in a 10 gal that did not work and now i was thinking about 'zippier' fish such as white clouds?

anyhoo
just wondering on what you guys know as good tankmates for bettas from research/personal experience

cheers

Mvjnz
02-22-2009, 11:13 AM
White clouds are coldwater and bettas prefer warm water, so they wouldn't be a good match.

Eddie
02-22-2009, 02:48 PM
I'd go with 2 cory cats and maybe some platies

Mvjnz
02-22-2009, 03:06 PM
Cories are much happier when kept in groups. If you can't keep them properly don't keep them at all.

With a betta I'd go for bottom dwelling fish. Not only are bettas happier when they are king of their own tank, but I find it more pleasing to look at when there's nothing colourful competing for attention with the betta.

I'd also recommend putting the betta in last, so it immediately gets used to sharing its territory.

If it was a bigger tank I'd suggest some fish, but for a tank that small I'd just go with the betta and some mystery snails or shrimp for the bottom. Bettas are happier alone.

s72450
02-22-2009, 03:45 PM
I'd go with cories, I've never had a problem with those and bettas. They're fun little guys and bring alot to your tank. You could have about four or five in with your guy and have a beautiful tank.

fsulka
02-23-2009, 05:43 AM
I have a female betta that I adore and I somewhat recently introduced a mystery snail. Both seem to be very happy with each others company.

Slow Cheetah
02-23-2009, 05:59 AM
mm its just snails dont really appeal to me and i dont think we have shrimp anywhere around me..

what about something like a small school of zebra danios?
or do you guys still reckon better off alone?

zx42
02-23-2009, 08:27 AM
Pencil Fish thumbs2: :hmm3grin2orange:

Mvjnz
02-23-2009, 12:42 PM
Everything I've hears suggests that bettas prefer a slightly smaller tank to themselves than sharing a bigger tank with lots of other fish. I can imagine that where bettas are from they don't see a lot of other fish, so they were made to be solitary, and I find that a betta in a tank with lots of other fish just looks busy and wrong.

That's of course just my personal opinion, but based on that I would recommend keeping him alone.

Sharon
02-23-2009, 01:13 PM
Agreed!thumbs2:

Slow Cheetah
02-24-2009, 04:33 AM
ok thats what i am going to do.
thanks for help guys

lovleeko
02-24-2009, 05:05 AM
Cories are much happier when kept in groups. If you can't keep them properly don't keep them at all.

With a betta I'd go for bottom dwelling fish. Not only are bettas happier when they are king of their own tank, but I find it more pleasing to look at when there's nothing colourful competing for attention with the betta.

I'd also recommend putting the betta in last, so it immediately gets used to sharing its territory.

If it was a bigger tank I'd suggest some fish, but for a tank that small I'd just go with the betta and some mystery snails or shrimp for the bottom. Bettas are happier alone.

I disagree that bettas are happier alone. Bettas are around other fish all the time in the wild. My bettas seem much more active and happy in my community tanks.

Now as for the platy suggestion. Just be careful with them. Some of my bettas (I have nine) do not do well with my platys. They seem to think they are female bettas and bother them endlessly. Now I do have some males who don't take this thinking and currently have two bettas living with platys peacefully at the moment. I have and do keep bettas with cherry barbs (I have heard of a story on here that the cherry barbs didn't get a long with a betta but I keep them with all my bettas and have never experienced this.) Corys (duh LOL) golden zebra loaches, cardinal tetras, ember tetras, black neons, rummy nose tetra. I have also had success keeping bettas in my biggest tank with bolivian rams and GBR. You can usually keep them with the small peaceful tetras. A tank with some cardinals or rummy nose and a betta is a nice looking sight. I have a tank with both. As you can see, I have had great success keeping bettas with all types of fish. Vigilance is the key. Again this is proof that bettas can live happy lives with other specie and are quite healthy and happy that way. Also way more stimulated. They are usually peaceful with anything that doesn;t remind them of a betta. One more thing that is a key to success is to add the betta last. ALWAYS. :)

Slow Cheetah
02-24-2009, 05:18 AM
lol

again great info sways my decision.

cheers lovleeko

Chicklet
02-24-2009, 01:18 PM
I have fully grown apple snails with some of my betta's , the long tenticuls sometimes attracts attention, I have had them kill a few, simple because they wouldn't stop picking at the antenna's or whatever those things are that stick out.

ndntakeover
02-26-2009, 09:51 PM
mm its just snails dont really appeal to me and i dont think we have shrimp anywhere around me..

what about something like a small school of zebra danios?
or do you guys still reckon better off alone?

i have mine with 6 zebra danios and 3 mollies
the betta is just fine

very active tho

thezookeeper
03-06-2009, 05:25 PM
I have white clouds and a cory and ottos with my betta in a ten gal tank. Been that way for over a year and have no problems. Oops, forgot I have ghost shrimp in there too.:hmm3grin2orange:

DragonWatch
03-07-2009, 12:53 PM
I have my betta in a 13gal, with 5 guppies and 6 platties. To make matters worse, he was in there alone for a long time before the others were added (I saw later that you're supposed to do it the other way around, adding the betta last). The first two days he was a bit testy, chasing the other fish every now and then. Now (2 weeks later) they're all happy. Not one fish lost, and no real fin nipping ever occurred.

*Sarah*
03-07-2009, 02:28 PM
I have a 10 gallon which I intended to fill with Endlers and a few oto cats...BUT, for Christmas through a rather rambunctious gift exchange, I ended up getting a male betta (I was quite peeved that the person that decided to give this living creature as a "gift" wasn't at least kind enough to tell people to be gentle with the package grrr), but anyway....he's now in my 10 gal with 1 male endlers. They seem to get along just fine. My intention still is to get MORE endlers and a few oto's...as soon as my lfs gets them in.

Shrubs
03-17-2009, 04:04 AM
I just started a 5.5 gallon for a King Betta. Any ideas for a few tank mates in that situation? Ghost shrimp perhaps?

Pandora
03-17-2009, 04:21 AM
I have a very happy betta with platys and corys. They all get along really well. We did have to select the platys carefully though, as initially we had one that was very aggressive.
When the corys are doing their zippy thing up and down they have been known to bump (gently) into the betta, but even so, there has never been any aggression.

lovleeko
03-17-2009, 06:51 AM
I just started a 5.5 gallon for a King Betta. Any ideas for a few tank mates in that situation? Ghost shrimp perhaps?

Maybe an african dwarf frog. Though they need special care since their needs are different from the betta. And of course snails or shrimp would do well also. though some may be eaten by the betta. So go with something cheap like ghost instead of cherries. Also maybe a small school of ember tetras if your willing to keep up with the water changes :) Goodluck.

Mvjnz
03-17-2009, 06:52 AM
Giant bettas need much bigger tanks than that, and they also have a ferocious apetite until they are fully grown at about 18 months. I'd suggest no smaller than 10 gallons.

lovleeko
03-21-2009, 03:10 AM
Giant bettas need much bigger tanks than that, and they also have a ferocious apetite until they are fully grown at about 18 months. I'd suggest no smaller than 10 gallons.

LMAO I didn't even notice the KING part. LOL oops

robflanker
04-04-2009, 12:01 AM
My girlfriend has a siamese and just put it in a 1.25gal cube. i finally managed to get her to upgrade from a really small bowl!

Any idea thoughts on whether she can add something to the tank?

Thoughts appreciated

Red
04-04-2009, 12:13 AM
I keep a male and female betta in a 75 with no troubles at all. They have been with each other for a while and do fine with all other fish....

matthew.shelly
04-05-2009, 06:48 AM
small schooling fish like white clouds and neons can end up being stressful for a betta. when i had a betta with some neons their quick movements bothered him and i eventually had to move him.

GouramiGal
04-07-2009, 02:49 PM
Everything I've hears suggests that bettas prefer a slightly smaller tank to themselves than sharing a bigger tank with lots of other fish. I can imagine that where bettas are from they don't see a lot of other fish, so they were made to be solitary, and I find that a betta in a tank with lots of other fish just looks busy and wrong.

That's of course just my personal opinion, but based on that I would recommend keeping him alone.

I agree!
thumbs2:

Wild Turkey
04-07-2009, 04:50 PM
Its depends greatly on the sex. My female is very happy with other fish. She lovingly "protects" my albino corys as they rest, never fights with anything. However, i would have to agree its easier to house male bettas by themselves.