PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions about a python

Owlbehere
02-22-2009, 01:01 AM
Ok so after emptying my 60 gallon and refilling it with buckets I decided I needed a python. I went to petsmart after school. They didn't have the python brand but did have aqueon. I got that and brought it home. It didn't fit on our kitchen sink. I tried the adapter. Our sink is externally threaded and the adapter was as well... No match. I went to home depot and tried to find something to work.
They didn't have anything to attach the tiny faucet to the main piece. My question is can I attach it to the outside faucet just outside of my window?

HomaridNoob6
02-22-2009, 01:02 AM
I'm pretty sure you can, if nothing else, an adapter will be easier to find for that faucet probably than your sink.

terrapin24h
02-22-2009, 01:03 AM
you could, but you will then only fill the tank with cold water. Is there another sink you could try(maybe a bathroom)? My marina easy clean(hagen version) from petco has two fittings, and sounds like it would fit.

--chris

Algenco
02-22-2009, 01:06 AM
take the strainer that came off the sink and your adapters with you to Lowes, etc, let them find the right piece

Owlbehere
02-22-2009, 01:12 AM
Terrapin24h: I was worried about the cold water. I tried the bathroom and its just as small as the kitchen one.

Algenco: I took the adapters and sink piece with me to home depot. They said they didn't have anything that would be male on one side female on the other that was large on one end and teensy on the other. And I tried talking my mom into changing the 300.00 faucet on the sink to a standard size one, but no. :) lol I tried.

I'm thinking of having a project with my dad and making myself one that would fit everything.

Lynn Conroy
02-22-2009, 01:19 AM
There should be an adapter for your kitchen faucet.
Mine did't fit either so I sent my slave, I mean my husband to a hardware store WITH the piece from the kitchen faucet. No problemo. He got one to fit.

Lloyd
02-22-2009, 01:47 AM
I had the same problem and ended up using two pieces of hose and three hose clamps. Use one size to fit over your faucet and clamp it down, insert a smaller (diamator) section of hose that fits the sink attachment into the first one and clamp it down. The last clamp will hold the threaded part in place. It's funny looking but it works. If I can get a camera going I'll send a pic.

PUNISHER VETTE
02-22-2009, 01:55 AM
1: see if you can take back the non name brand Python and go to walmart for a real one. Or order it online.

2: My bathroom didn't fit either but my other bathroom and kitchen work fine so it's hard to say if you just don't have the right adapter or if it's just not going to work.

3: I got rid of the super cheap plastic part that came with the python and got a nice one in the sink department at Lowes and it works like a dream. I also needed another connector to get it to fit the python.

4: Don't use the hose outside. The nice thing about the python is you can get your water going into the tank really close to what it already is, which is easy on the fish.

5: take the little strainer off your sink that has the threads, go to lowes and find something that it screws into. Then find the right adapter that fits that same threads.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e289/tparkhi2/Fish%20stuff/IMG_0639.jpg

bushwhacker
02-22-2009, 01:55 AM
havent seen one in years but i used to have a part that slip up over the faucet and had the hose connection on the other end... wasnt the tightest connection but didnt leak bad

Owlbehere
02-22-2009, 02:03 AM
I was going to try to rig up a few connectors down to the head.

Algenco
02-22-2009, 02:04 AM
Terrapin24h: I was worried about the cold water. I tried the bathroom and its just as small as the kitchen one.

Algenco: I took the adapters and sink piece with me to home depot. They said they didn't have anything that would be male on one side female on the other that was large on one end and teensy on the other. And I tried talking my mom into changing the 300.00 faucet on the sink to a standard size one, but no. :) lol I tried.

I'm thinking of having a project with my dad and making myself one that would fit everything.

I ended up finding mine at a plumbing supply

Owlbehere
02-22-2009, 02:12 AM
Hmmm, I may try a few other places. Too bad tomorrow is sunday.

MrJim
02-22-2009, 02:42 AM
Take your stuff to a real hardware store or plumbing supply place~they'll have what you need..

Owlbehere
02-22-2009, 02:54 AM
Yea there is a place near me... but they are closed on sunday :(

Mith
02-22-2009, 05:07 AM
make sure you not only try the plumbing isle, but the faucet isle. I checked the plumbing isle and was about to give up till I tried the faucet isle. if it exists, Home Depot will have it!

PUNISHER VETTE
02-22-2009, 05:11 AM
make sure you not only try the plumbing isle, but the faucet isle. I checked the plumbing isle and was about to give up till I tried the faucet isle. if it exists, Home Depot will have it!

yeah. I found the faucet connection in the area where they sell sinks.

Then the connection from the faucet part to the python in the plumbing area.

Owlbehere
02-22-2009, 06:26 AM
I tried them both but was lost. It was like reading greek! I'm taking my dad.
The first guy trying to help did nothing but try to get my phone number... I flipped him the bird told him a few choice words and went looking for someone else. This guy was older but looked at me and started talking to me like I was an idiot. He was also an old country guy and probably didn't like the fact I look like a fishing lure (Piercings: labret (lip), nose, and double eyebrow). Oh and huge Koi tattooed on my upper arm. Anyway he told me that I was using the wrong side (WTF?) and I was supposed to hook it up this way... I raised an eyebrow (the pierced one :)) and explained slowly how it worked and once again what I needed. He walked to the faucet isle then to the plumbing and said they didn't have what I was looking for. My dad is convinced they have it even if I have to get 3 or 4 parts he will make it work. My mom just said don't scratch the nice faucet.

HomaridNoob6
02-22-2009, 06:47 AM
hehe, ya sorry bout that my original advice may have been pretty bad, typically the water from my outside hose comes out around 70+ degrees, cools a bit after about 10 gallons. i use buckets and extra heaters anyway to get it where i want temp wise, but i didnt even think about how most peoples tap water may come out much colder. I have no real clue why it comes so hot from an outside unheated tap, but only the two in the backyard near my seperate studio do so. Must be long water lines and warm ground, but thankfully the water comes out testing fine still.

Owlbehere
02-22-2009, 06:57 AM
In the summer the water comes out hot enough to scald your skin and takes a good couple of minutes to cool off. South Louisiana... in the winter the temps literally go from 30 one day to 70 the next to 50 to 80 to 45... lol oh and bright and sunny in the morning to torrential storms in the eve to raining then bright sun. I have to check the weather before I go out everyday. Its very random :)

190MPH
02-22-2009, 02:12 PM
Gabrielle, they do make a fitting that will adapt to the outside threads of your faucet. I had the same problem with one of mine. I was lucky enough to find one at HD. It actually will adapt either way, inside threads or out and also has a quick disconnect so you can leave one part on the python and one on the faucet. I'll see if I can find it on HD's website.

Owlbehere
02-22-2009, 06:57 PM
Going to home depot for one more try! If not there then tomorrow I'm going to pat's hardware and a plumbing place :P

Owlbehere
02-24-2009, 08:06 PM
hallelujah after 4 trips to HD I finally can use my python. I ended up getting some tubing and clamps and a barb to rig up to the sink to allow the python head to attach!