PDA

View Full Version : Betta bowl question.

Glasstapper
02-12-2007, 12:34 AM
I currently have my betta in a resort, if you will. He has a filtered and heated 5 gallon tank all to himself, but I recently found out I need to go out of country for a few months and I'm adopting out my fishes.

A girl at work wants to take my betta and keep him on her desk. The 5 gallon tank is too large and would be too much trouble for her to do siphoning with a bucket and so on. (She's pregnant, so no heavy lifting for her for the next 5 months or so). I bought a large glass bowl (it's 1 gallon and is shaped like a big brandy snifter - she can carry and lift it) for the betta, but I've never kept a betta in a bowl before, so I don't know how cleaning should go. Here are my specific questions:

1-Would once a week 100% water changes be enough? Too little?

2-Is netting the betta out of the bowl and put in a smaller holding bowl during cleaning be too stressful for him, or is that what everyone else does?

3-Will my betta be very unhappy and depressed downgrading homes to a non-filtered, non-heated, 1 gallon home from his "resort", or will he not really care very much?

4-His tank is now at 78F, but the bowl will be non-heated and kept at room temperature (more like about 72-75F). Will this affect him negatively in ways of eating and bubble nest building? Should I start lowering his tank water now to help him get used to it?

Thanks so much for your help, guys. If you have anything else for me that would help, I would greatly appreciate it.

Drumachine09
02-12-2007, 12:39 AM
1. I had a betta once, and i did a 100% water change every 9-10 days.That seemed adequate.
2. That is what we always did, and we had a smaller bowl that we would put old tankwater in from the change to keep ph and temp roughly the same.
3. He would probobly be a little depressed, but anything is better than the cups of death.
4. I would start acclimating hims slowly now. 1 degree every 3 days or so should be fine.

Hope i Helped!

f1oored
02-12-2007, 01:32 AM
I doubt he will be as happy or active in his new home but he should do alright. The 100% weekly water change is enough but make sure she knows about keeping the water temps the same and everything. Many a betta are lost because the water temps aren't the same during water changes and the fish goes into shock. As long as she is good to him he should do fine.

Glasstapper
02-12-2007, 03:27 AM
I am nervous about letting someone else take care of himm (I just don't think anyone can do a better job than me---haha!), but I'll be around for a while longer to show her exactly what to do and how to do it. I'm just hoping like hell that she doesn't "slip" and let him get sick. I'd be crushed, and I would feel so bad.

I still would rather him be on her desk instead of back in that little cup at the store for some kid to neglect him or fight him. At least this way I can still go check on him and make sure he's kept healthy for a while before I leave.

minabird
02-12-2007, 01:32 PM
A girl at work wants to take my betta and keep him on her desk. The 5 gallon tank is too large and would be too much trouble for her to do siphoning with a bucket and so on. (She's pregnant, so no heavy lifting for her for the next 5 months or so). I bought a large glass bowl (it's 1 gallon and is shaped like a big brandy snifter - she can carry and lift it) for the betta, but I've never kept a betta in a bowl before, so I don't know how cleaning should go.

If it isn’t too late, you could buy a 2.5gal minibow tank. It should be large enough to accommodate a small filter and heater.

Here are my specific questions:

I did about a 50% every week when I had my betta in a 1gal betta tank with an UGF.

2-Is netting the betta out of the bowl and put in a smaller holding bowl during cleaning be too stressful for him, or is that what everyone else does? That shouldn’t be a problem . I kept the old Tupperware deathtrap he came in and use it to scoop him out of the tank instead of netting. Less stressful than netting I thought, but took more time trying to coax/trick/ambush him into the container.

3-Will my betta be very unhappy and depressed downgrading homes to a non-filtered, non-heated, 1 gallon home from his "resort", or will he not really care very much? Probably won’t be as happy being confined to a smaller tank, but should get over it after a while. Place a plant, rock cave or some other décor for him to explore and form a territory around it.

4-His tank is now at 78F, but the bowl will be non-heated and kept at room temperature (more like about 72-75F). Will this affect him negatively in ways of eating and bubble nest building? Should I start lowering his tank water now to help him get used to it? Not ideal for him since they are from a more tropical environment where the water temp is in the low 80s, but he should do fine. All of the bettas I’ve seen at my lfs are kept in those Tupperware deathtraps at store temp. He’ll adapt. Do as DM suggested and start lowering his water temp so it isn’t a shock when he moves to his new home. With the water being colder, he’ll also live a little longer than if kept at a higher temp, or so I’ve been told/read.

bettaboy691
02-12-2007, 02:08 PM

it would be fine, but make sure the water is treated before adding back to the bowl.not sure about mini-cycles tho? some one else with have to confire that as im not great about cycling small tanks.

2-Is netting the betta out of the bowl and put in a smaller holding bowl during cleaning be too stressful for him, or is that what everyone else does?

if its every week then it isnt such a problem.try scooping him up with a cup so he doesnt have to leave the water.plus some nets will damage the fins.

3-Will my betta be very unhappy and depressed downgrading homes to a non-filtered, non-heated, 1 gallon home from his "resort", or will he not really care very much?

he will be so depressed and unhappy at first, his terrotity will be changed and his swimming space reduced.not so much the size that im worried about, but not heated or filtered? filtering you can get away with by compleating water changes more often, but heating is nessary for a betta, there is a small heater you can buy for 1 gallon bowls that ive seen on the internet(only in the USA).you could get one of them, if hes lives in a heated tank for all his life, then its going to take its toll on him when transfered,plants will help alot with no filteratrion, and make the betta happier.add either a few gems/marbles or gravel to the bottom and the bowl is the best it can be.

4-His tank is now at 78F, but the bowl will be non-heated and kept at room temperature (more like about 72-75F). Will this affect him negatively in ways of eating and bubble nest building? Should I start lowering his tank water now to help him get used to it?

i think 72-75F is too low for a betta, even more so if hes ive in warmer waters before, he will probally become less active and take him longer to start eating/blowing bubbles.

but saying all that, many bettas are kept this way and most adapt well, its still better then those cups they are sold in.he will probally be more effected because of him living habits now, lowing the temp would help.any betta moving from a 5 gallon, heated, filtered tank to a 1 gallon not heated not filtered is going to have some problems.

minibird, bettas dont live longer in cooler waters, in the wild they have warm water and should be kept in warm water in home tanks.many adapt because of their strong nature but good quality water(clean, regular changed water)helps them live longer aswell.#

sorry to be negative glasstapper, but im just giving my opinion, i think a 2.5 gallon is much better, plus it can be easy to heat and filter.atleast your giving your betta away to someone who wants it and will try to look after it rather than back to the fish shop, or worst, flushed.

Glasstapper
02-12-2007, 04:24 PM
Thanks for your help, guys. I really would prefer the 2.5 gallon. She thinks a tank will be more work than a bowl, but I've already explained that it's actually the opposite and better for the fish. I'd feel more comfortable knowing that if she happened to forget to change the water while I'm gone that he would at least have a filter to help him out instead of sitting in betta soup.

Or, I could just set the thing up like I want it, and she can just learn to do it the right way. That's what I'll do. Those damn bowls make me too nervous, and I'll just use it to hold change or something.

cocoa_pleco
02-12-2007, 04:26 PM
i hate doing anything without a filter

bettaboy691
02-12-2007, 06:12 PM
good decision glasstapper,those bowls are too cruel for any betta.atleast you friend will learn how to take care of him properly, and a 2.5 is a much better option.let us know how he gets on

CinRell
02-15-2007, 05:20 PM
Playing devil's advocate here.. what happens to the betta when she goes on maternity leave?

Glasstapper
02-17-2007, 05:36 AM
I asked her about that. I'm going to teach another coworker as well, on how to do the water changes, proper feeding, and general care. I think it'll be fine. Both of these girls have had bettas before, so I'm not worried. Also, we're more than coworkers and are actually friends, so I trust them, too. I think they can handle things while I'm away for four months. When I get back, I can help them again with water changes (which isn't even a hassle, but they've had bowls before, so I had to tell them that you don't actually change out all of the water once a week - I'm telling them change half the water every two weeks since there will be a filter in the 2.5 mini bow).

I finally got the 2.5 mini bow the other day. I also have the mini heater, a thermometer, and some substrate. All I have left to get is a small fake floating plant to keep the water surface still.

*Sarah*
02-17-2007, 03:46 PM
That's great that you're taking such good care of him. You said you're going out of the country? Where to?

cocoa_pleco
02-17-2007, 04:24 PM
glasstappers going to Afghanistan

Faith_at_Large
02-18-2007, 03:31 PM
When I had my first Betta, I used a turkey baster (exclusively used for the tank) to clean debris from the bottom and to help with water changes. It worked very well in smaller tanks - I had a two gallon tank. I did own a gravel cleaner/siphon, but it was much too big and awkward in the small tank.

cocoa_pleco
02-18-2007, 06:04 PM
i use a mini vacuum on my 2.5g with a half inch diameter

Glasstapper
02-18-2007, 06:06 PM
When I had my first Betta, I used a turkey baster (exclusively used for the tank) to clean debris from the bottom and to help with water changes. It worked very well in smaller tanks - I had a two gallon tank. I did own a gravel cleaner/siphon, but it was much too big and awkward in the small tank.

that's perfect! I was wondering how that siphon was going to get going in such a small tank, and I couldn't figure out a good way to clean the gravel without a siphon. I'm so glad I come here for help. You guys are genius!

Sarahmom-yes, I'm going to Afghanistan for four months, from May to August/early September. I'll be moving out of my apartment into storage (I'm not paying rent for four months if I'm not there) so I have to rehome my fishies. It's ok, though, because as soon as I get back, I start my paperwork to get out of the military and I'll be back home in Louisiana by March '08 and ready to dive back in to fishkeeping! :D

bettaboy691
02-18-2007, 09:31 PM
glad to hear about the upgrade for your betta into a 2.5 gallon.what substrate have you got by the way, just curious? the heater will please the betta. i own a turkey baster too, and i can honestly say its been a god sent. such a useful tool in the aquariums i own.
good luck on your travels, and give your friend best wishes with the baby.

Glasstapper
02-19-2007, 02:08 AM
thank you, betta boy, your words are kind. For substrate, I'm going with the same that I have in my 45 gallon which is black gravel with shiny marbles here and there. I've received many compliments on it, and since I've got the same in my current betta tank, Napoleon seems to like it, as well. I guess sometimes he'll catch his reflection in a marble and flare up. :) Instead of buying all new gravel, I'll just take some gravel from my 45 gallon and transfer over.

I do have one last question about that UGF because I've never used one before. The top part (called an elbow) has an area with slots in it. Do you think I should put a little carbon cartridge in it, or leave it empty?

*Sarah*
02-19-2007, 02:21 AM
that's perfect! I was wondering how that siphon was going to get going in such a small tank, and I couldn't figure out a good way to clean the gravel without a siphon. I'm so glad I come here for help. You guys are genius!

Sarahmom-yes, I'm going to Afghanistan for four months, from May to August/early September. I'll be moving out of my apartment into storage (I'm not paying rent for four months if I'm not there) so I have to rehome my fishies. It's ok, though, because as soon as I get back, I start my paperwork to get out of the military and I'll be back home in Louisiana by March '08 and ready to dive back in to fishkeeping! :D

Wow, are you excited? nervous? scared? I'd be prob all of the above! Good luck and I'm sure it's going to be an experience you'll never forget. I'm sure your fishies will be alright while you're gone, just take care of yourself out there. What made you decide to join the military?

fishfry
02-19-2007, 03:06 AM
my 1st fish tank was a betta bowl i did a 100% water change once a week my betta was never very active until i put an octopus cave in then he enjoyed himself more he ended up dying after a 1/2 a year because i live in ohio and it was winter he was near a window and i think he froze to death so if i ever got another one i would not put it in a bowl again it is to hard to keep warm

Glasstapper
02-19-2007, 04:00 AM
Wow, are you excited? nervous? scared? I'd be prob all of the above! Good luck and I'm sure it's going to be an experience you'll never forget. I'm sure your fishies will be alright while you're gone, just take care of yourself out there. What made you decide to join the military?

All of the above. LOL I'm just glad it's only for four months and not 18 months like the Army does (I'm in the Air Force). I made sure that my fish are going to be well taken care of. It would have been very easy for me to just bring them all back to the store, but I've actually found good homes for all of them.

I decided to join the military about 3 years ago. I was 24 years old, and basically hadn't gotten anything done with myself since high school. I had gone to college for a year and a half on an acedemic scholarship, but I pissed that off when I decided to take a "break" and work full time so I could move out of my parents' house. It wasn't bad living with them, I was just in a hurry to become an adult. I tried to go back to school a year later, but I found it to be too expensive, and I didn't want to take out a loan. I was also a bartender with only half a degree, so no offices would hire me since my degree wasn't completed, and all of my experience was in a bar instead of an office. It just so happened that the recruiter's office was next to the bar I worked at, and after several bad nights in a row, I decided to go in and see what I could do to get my life back on track. Working in a bar wasn't so bad, but there's no retirement plan, no steady paycheck (you just work for tips), and no insurance/dental plan. Going to the doctor and the dentist without any insurance is expensive as hell! Also, my boyfriend of one year had just broken up with me (on Valentine's Day no less) and I was building up some incredible debt due to being depressed and recklessly spending money I didn't have. I told my recruiter that if it was going to happen, that it had better happen fast before I change my mind. Three weeks later I was on a plane to basic training in San Antonio. I don't regret my decision at all. I wanted a steady job, to learn a new trade, to earn money for college, to pay off some debt, to live in a new place, make new friends, and do a bit of travelling. The Air Force gave me all of that (although this kind of travelling was not what I had in mind but I do get to go to Alaska for a couple of weeks, so that will be cool, ...literally! hehe.)

So now that I'm almost done with my contract with the military and have gained everything I wanted out of it, I'm now ready to take the next step towards my goals and be a full time student and finally finish my degree in business like I've always dreamed of doing. Except now it isn't a dream anymore.

The military isn't a bad thing, but it's not for everyone, including me. I guess people join the military for all sort of reasons, but for me, it was purely for personal reasons. I prefer not to have any part in the war, but I'm still proud to whatever little I can to help just get it over with and bring everyone back to their families. And that's exactly what I'll be doing in Afghanistan. I'm a planner for aircraft coming in and leaving. On some of those leaving planes there will be troops that haven't been home in a year or so, and I get to help plan their trip home. It's a nice feeling.

cocoa_pleco
02-19-2007, 04:04 AM
can i come and use the turret on a humvee?

Ill be REAAAAAAAAAALLLLYYYYYyyy good and wont eat much or take up to much room.

PLEAAAAASSSSSEEEEEEEE. LOL

Chrona
02-19-2007, 04:11 AM
Wow, it's good to hear you are getting back on track! I used to attend Cornell University, but I couldn't deal with the academic pressure there, so I screwed up big time. For probably half a year, I just moped, thinking that my life was over, but now I'm back at a public university and getting my life back on track. So yeah, it sucks that I wasted a year of my life, but looking back, I learned a lot during that period that I'll apply later down the road.

minabird
02-19-2007, 02:03 PM
I do have one last question about that UGF because I've never used one before. The top part (called an elbow) has an area with slots in it. Do you think I should put a little carbon cartridge in it, or leave it empty?

Glasstapper-

Since you're not putting any live plants in there, carbon wouldn't be a bad idea. It'll help keep Napolean's water clean, especially if your friend isn't as religious about doing weekly water changes. They also make cartridges that contain zeolite that will remove the ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. This may be a better option than the carbon if your friend skips a week from doing water changes.