PDA

View Full Version : How to permanrntly clean BBA off my driftwood?

PUNISHER VETTE
02-21-2009, 08:27 PM
Well BBA has taken over my driftwood. I've tried the hydrogen peroxide and it just doesn't cut it. Plus i've got too much for it to do much now.

I've decided to take the driftwood out of my tank and treat it but i need to know with what.

Bleach solution? more peroxide? What's safe and effective?

While the wood is out it'll give me time to rearrange some plants i've been meaning to anyway.

And see about getting my cable heater out as well....even though that may tear up most of my plants in the process.

Algenco
02-21-2009, 08:29 PM
scrub what you can and pour straight peroxide on it, It's safer than bleach.

PUNISHER VETTE
02-21-2009, 09:33 PM
lol what have i got myself into...

Wood is in my kitchen sink...kind of. at least part of it's in the sink and the limbs are going everywhere else.

I scrubbed it with a wire brush that i kept soaking peroxide. then dumped the rest of the peroxide over it. And the wood doesn't have to go back in the tank right away so i'm guessing letting the BBA air out couldn't hurt either.

The cable heater came out a LOT easier then I thought it would.

Moving my plants and gravel on the other hand has left the tank a disaster zone. Probably not the smartest idea to buy 5 new fish today and subject them to this.:scry:

But it's almost over. I decided to give the fish a break and let things settle so i can see what minor touches need to be done.

And to think my tank was just getting to look presentable.

Algenco
02-21-2009, 09:36 PM
let it sit out awhile , peroxide it again, why not, I buy several qts at a time:hmm3grin2orange:

PUNISHER VETTE
02-21-2009, 09:40 PM
let it sit out awhile , peroxide it again, why not, I buy several qts at a time:hmm3grin2orange:

yeah i only had 1 qt bottle but it was super cheap so i'll just run to the store sometime tonight and get some more.

Let it sit overnight and probably put the wood back in tomorrow.

Taurus
02-21-2009, 10:25 PM
OK, I gotta ask. What is BBA?

PUNISHER VETTE
02-21-2009, 10:28 PM
OK, I gotta ask. What is BBA?

black brush algae....the worst algae there is.

Algenco
02-21-2009, 10:38 PM
Now determine why it was there and how to keep it from coming back

PUNISHER VETTE
02-21-2009, 10:49 PM
Now determine why it was there and how to keep it from coming back

Black magic put it there so only a level 50 warlock could get rid of it....
Unfortunately I'm not a level 50 so it's coming back...

Algenco
02-21-2009, 10:58 PM

thumbs2: your on the path

Taurus
02-21-2009, 11:36 PM

LOL..I had to ask. :18:

Alfcea
02-22-2009, 04:19 AM
If it helps, I can tell you what I did, and it worked fine...

First, I killed it with hydrogen peroxide. Treated every day for about a week. Then, I started using half doses of excel every day, then every other day... and now I don't have any bba in sight... but I'm keeping a close watch on everything!

PUNISHER VETTE
02-22-2009, 04:29 AM
If it helps, I can tell you what I did, and it worked fine...

First, I killed it with hydrogen peroxide. Treated every day for about a week. Then, I started using half doses of excel every day, then every other day... and now I don't have any bba in sight... but I'm keeping a close watch on everything!

I've got it on some plants and in random places throughout the tank still. I may have gotten a lot of if from treating the driftwood but i know there's a TON more.

I've always been afraid to use excel since i have vals and i hear the two don't mix well...

I have started my CO2 again so i'm hoping with the proper amount of CO2 it may keep it at bay.