PDA

View Full Version : how to bioligically boost your tank

cocoa_pleco
02-11-2007, 08:22 PM
I have thought of many ways to biologically boost your tank and here it is.

1. For HOB's, put in some ceramic rings right by the output, put one 2 rings per gallon of water.

2. For UGF's and underwater suction filters, take a plastic cup with lid like bettas in stores are kept in , put the rings in, and poke some little holes and throw it in the lid and put it in the corner of your tank

3. For canisters, just use pantyhose.

It has been proven that 2 rings per gallon of water in your filter does a whopping 10X times more biological bacteria holding, so whenever you can, use aquarium ceramic rings

Nautilus291
02-11-2007, 10:23 PM
sounds like a good idea Im going to have to try it.

Lady Hobbs
02-12-2007, 12:28 AM
By the time I added 100 rings to my output, I'd have no room for the filter media.

Chrona
02-12-2007, 12:33 AM
By the time I added 100 rings to my output, I'd have no room for the filter media.

I think his point is to just add as much as you can :)

muffin
02-12-2007, 02:09 AM
The thing is that some ppl actually put these in their canisters. put a bunch of these in you canister and as it passes through you have a ton of surface area for beneficial bacteria. Also, the water fasses through and gets filtered through in a ton of different directions as it passes through the various rings in the canister making them very beneficial bio filters..

Since I only have a 10 gallon tank I'm not planning on using these as of yet.. when I get my large tank I plan on using them as a type of media...
Good suggestion here..

cocoa_pleco
02-12-2007, 02:17 AM
My new 20 is cycling and was cloudier than heck this morning at 11, and i put in 10 rings in the aquaclear and its signifigantly boosted the speed of cycling and the waters getting clearer