PDA

View Full Version : New Betta has swollen eye

Chicklet
02-20-2009, 06:56 PM
Ok so I went up country today, Picked up several new types of food, tanks etc,
But I also bought two more male Betta's, upon getting them home, one appears to have a slightly swollen eye, Does anyone know off hand what this might be before I do any searches on the matter? and what I can do possible to help him,
I won't return him, He's mine now, I want to take care of him, So plz any knowledge on this would be appreciated.

Sharon
02-20-2009, 07:34 PM
Might be popeye...His eye may just improve with nice clean water!

Chicklet
02-20-2009, 07:47 PM
Well he's got nice clean water now,

Thanks Sharon

betta_Mike
02-21-2009, 05:41 AM
Id have to agree with Sharon. Popeye can be pretty common. Adding a tbsp. or so (depending on your tank size) along with a full water change then regular water changes afterward would be a good start. :D Gluck I hope he gets well soon!

Chicklet
02-21-2009, 12:47 PM
All my fishy tanks get regular water changes every day, I always have my hands in the water everyday for one reason or another, (wouldn't you know, yesterday of all days, I didn't have my hands in my tanks! and look what happened) I have temp sticks in all but hard to read sometimes,

When I went back to town last night I found some "Melafix" says it treats Eye cloud & Popeye among other things, So I treated him with that last night.

Chicklet
03-02-2009, 12:37 AM
My Betta's eye is all better, But it seems like he's blind on that side now,
I have to push the food to his other side for him to see and react, is it normal for them to go blind after having popeye?

Sharon
03-02-2009, 02:07 AM
Blindness can occur with Popeye....Just keep his water very clean, and watch him. If he is blind in one eye, he may have problems with depth perception. Fish can live perfectly good lives with one eye.

lovleeko
03-02-2009, 02:15 AM
Melafix is not the greatest thing for bettas. It is bad for the labyrinth organ and is generally not recommended for an actual bacteria infection. More for frayed fins and less problematic issues. Get some maracyn 2

Sharon
03-02-2009, 11:57 AM
I've read that about Melafix. Some recommend to dilute, as Bettafix is basically a diluted form of Melafix... I have used Melafix with no problems.

Chicklet
03-02-2009, 01:26 PM
Melafix was the only thing I could find at the time for popeye,
He's perfectly fine now, except for the blindness on that side,
during his treatment I kept him in a 1 gallon and only used 3 drops in his water a day. He's not being treated anymore since he's all better. I keep his water sparkling clean too.
I guess I had just assumed he's sight would return when the popeye cleared up.. I'll have to see iff i can't locate some maracyn 2, spend some time locating in case i find need again...

Thank you Sharon & lovleeko