PDA

View Full Version : hello

frank_zappa
02-20-2009, 01:34 PM
hey i am new here and also new to keeping an aquarium. my setup is a 46 gallon bowfront and i also have a 10 gallon that i am currently using as a hospital tank. i realize this is just an intro thread so i will save the reasons for the hospital tank for a new thread....

the 46 gallon tank...my filter is a whisper rated for 45-70 gallons and it moves 340 gallons/hour. i went for the upper end of what was suggested because i figured it would be good for aeration etc. the tank currently holds 3 zebra danios, 2 serpae tetra, 3 corydoras, and a rainbow shark.

the 10 gallon tank is just a kit that i bought from petco. it is currently housing my school of 6 tiger barbs, half of which are showing symptoms of ich. i pulled them out of the main tank yesterday.

i am going to post another thread with my plan for taking care of this ich outbreak....i really need help because it is something i have been trying to resolve for weeks now. im learning some tough lessons very early on with this tank, but i will mention that in my next thread.

for now, hello, and i hope get to meet some new people to help me become better at this. i am in another forum as well but i quickly made an enemy on that site for making a joke about wanting to just feed my tiger barbs to a larger fish....i assure everyone it is a joke (and said out of frustration over not being able to get rid of the ich)....but now nobody seems to want to offer me any suggestions for help. is that something totally taboo?? i thought i had been pretty clear that it was a joke at the time but oh well.

so, hello

Lady Hobbs
02-20-2009, 01:36 PM
Good morning and welcome to AC. You'll meet some great folks here.

mrs fishpatrick
02-20-2009, 01:41 PM
Hi welcome

Algenco
02-20-2009, 01:41 PM
Welcome aboard:22:
I like the way you've startedthumbs2:

Deleted User
02-20-2009, 01:47 PM
Hi Welcome to AC. :ssmile:

frank_zappa
02-20-2009, 02:27 PM
it seems i have started out at this by infecting a tank with ich....but it will be a lesson learned.

i notice alot of people on this site have cancer ribbons, and some in particular have pink ribbons. i feel like sharing that i am in training for the boston 3 day in july this summer....i am walking 60 miles to raise money for breast cancer. im not asking anyone here for a donation, just wanted to throw that out there. a coworker of mine is very sick.

Northernguy
02-20-2009, 02:42 PM
Welcome to the Fabulous AC!
Having ich in a new tank is very common.I do suggest you read the Free E-book on the left,its highly recomended.

fishlover49
02-20-2009, 02:44 PM
Hi and welcome! :19:

country_boy454
02-20-2009, 02:45 PM
Welcome to AC! Good luck on your Boston 3 day walk. Hope your co worker gets better.

escamosa
02-20-2009, 02:58 PM
G'day, enjoy your time at AC.thumbs2:

korith
02-20-2009, 03:58 PM
Welcome to the site. Keep an eye on the big tank for any more signs of ich

troy
02-20-2009, 09:33 PM
Welcome to the forum.

Ellen4God
02-20-2009, 09:38 PM
Welcome to AC!!!

frank_zappa
02-21-2009, 05:05 AM
oh ive got my eye on both tanks....im like a nut. it is a learning experience but i think im getting control over the ich. i just hope i dont boil my fish in the 10 gallon, it is at 86. the main tank is up to 82 now but im gonna get it t0 84-85 over the next couple days. i see only a couple residual spots on one fish in the 10 gallon and those will be gone by morning im sure. i just hope that it is gonna be done with soon....within 2 weeks.

sandy_n
02-21-2009, 03:36 PM
Welcome to AC...:ssmile:

fins_n_fur
02-21-2009, 04:47 PM
Hello and welcome home to the A.C.!

angelcakes
02-21-2009, 04:56 PM
hello and welcome:19: :19:

korith
02-21-2009, 05:04 PM
oh ive got my eye on both tanks....im like a nut. it is a learning experience but i think im getting control over the ich. i just hope i dont boil my fish in the 10 gallon, it is at 86. the main tank is up to 82 now but im gonna get it t0 84-85 over the next couple days. i see only a couple residual spots on one fish in the 10 gallon and those will be gone by morning im sure. i just hope that it is gonna be done with soon....within 2 weeks.

You should be safe enough from boiling hehe. Using anything else to treat the ich or just heat?

frank_zappa
02-22-2009, 03:39 PM
i am just using temperature and salt....i was not able to bring it past 86 and it teeters there.....but i think that is enough. there is a new spot on one of the barbs in the 10 gallon. i think what is happening with him is that because he is a little smaller than the rest, he gets picked on a little and he is extra stressed, and the ick comes out. he is in it for the long haul though and isnt going anywhere. they (the other 5 barbs) arent getting him that badly. the 46 gallon is looking fine...the fish are all very active and no symptoms. i have it at 84 and it is salted.

it looks good enough that i bought some new fish for it last night...5 additional zebra danios. i really like them. i had 3 before and one was/is fat with eggs but wasnt dropping them. so i just added 3 more females and 2 more males and bought them some daphnia to eat. their colors were really dull at the store and literally within a minute of releasing them they were almost as bright as the ones i already had. i had never realized their colors could react so quickly. they are all schooling now whereas the 3 i had used to just chase each other.