PDA

View Full Version : How long does it take to transfer bacteria?

Kadina
02-19-2009, 08:50 PM
As the title implies, how long can I expect it to take to transfer bacteria from used media to new media in a new filter. Basically, when can I take the used media out of the new filter? Days, weeks, months?

Also, I thought about tossing a small bag of biomax into my cycled tanks filter just to have it ready as a seed for any new tank (mine, friend or family). How long will it need to be in there before it is colonized?

Algenco
02-19-2009, 08:52 PM
Is there a need to remove it soon? If not wait a month

Northernguy
02-19-2009, 08:54 PM
If you mean you are removing all the media from a cycled filter and placing it in your filter you can add fish immediastly.If you wait after putting in there with no fish it will die.
If you are only getting some you will have to add a bacteria booster.Tetra Safe Start is a good one.
You will need a liquid test kit to monitor your perameters for spikes.

korith
02-19-2009, 09:04 PM
If you got fish in there to keep cycle going. You can probably leave the old media in there for about 3 weeks or so, to get the bacteria established in the new media.

Alfcea
02-19-2009, 09:06 PM
I have done it with just a couple of days (I needed to change the filter and the warranty was about to expire!) and, though the water became cloudy for almost a week, I did not have any spikes... not that I would recommend that, but I'm just saying it worked for me...

bushwhacker
02-19-2009, 10:39 PM
i agree with 3 to 4 weeks tho it could be less i wouldnt do it