PDA

View Full Version : what to put in tank

annie p
02-19-2009, 02:44 PM
When I get my 54g going again what to put in it. You didn't like my stocking before so am open to suggestions. 60lbs LR, going to add more LS. I'd really like another flame angel and am going to seed it with pods for about 6 mos and I'm going to put in another scooter blenny. Also going to get a 20g sump this weekend for the tank.

labnjab
02-19-2009, 05:16 PM
I would start with a pair of o-clowns, and maybe after 3-4 weeks some sort of goby, maybe a yellow watchman and pistol shrimp. Did your CUC survive? If they didn't that would be the very first thing I would add

annie p
02-19-2009, 05:20 PM
What is CUC?

Rue
02-19-2009, 05:29 PM
Clean Up Crew.

Yes, they should go in first.

I love the clownfish. I have 2 ocellaris as well. But there are other types you could try in a larger tank if you like.

I also have 2 pajama cardinals...another all-time favorite. Too bad people think they're too common. Bangaii cardinals are another good option.

I have a goby too - he came with a pistol shrimp, but the shrimp died. I'm looking for another one.

Saltwater holds less fish than freshwater, so don't overstock. ~6 smaller fish is all your tank will comfortably hold.

You have lots of options. If you Google 'nano saltwater fish' you'll get some good lists as well, that will give you some ideas. I know your tank is bigger than that, but the lists are still very handy.

annie p
02-19-2009, 05:33 PM
OK thanks. I never did have a cleanup crew because I started with a dwarf lionfsh. He would not eat then I never thought about them again.

coachfraley
02-19-2009, 06:03 PM
I am with Rue and Labnjab. Go with a pair of clowns, but look at the different kinds. If I was starting a large tank, I would go with a pair of maroon clowns. They are awesome fish, and they can get BIG. The only downside to some of the other clowns in that they can be a little more aggressive than the Occelaris and the Percs.

Also take a look at the black and white Occelaris...another really cool option.

Once you have clowns, you could get a school of small fish, like blue-green chromis or the VERY pretty (but lesser known) blue reef chromis.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
02-19-2009, 06:25 PM
Maroon Clowns are great fish, but they are one of the most aggressive clowns available. If you have other fish that can handle their aggression they are a great option. A guy in my reef club has a female Maroon clown that killed everything in his tank, including a 6" Powder Blue Tang. :)

I'd personally go with a pair of Ocellaris clowns or a pair of Percula Clowns, Clarkii Clowns are also rather nice. Sixline Wrasses are nice and one would do well in that tank. Purple firefish or regular firefish.Captive Bred Bangaii Cardinals are a great suggestion for that tank, they are something just a little different. Add a few of those and a longspiny urchin and who knows, they may even breed. I also like your idea of a Flame Angel, however I would make that the last fish in the tank as they can get slightly territorial.

annie p
02-19-2009, 06:45 PM
OK thanks!! one more ? I have to empty and refill the tank. ( it just has tap water w/salt) My RO system is kinda slow, would it be OK if I filled half of it with Brita filtered water ? Also, when the tank is full, should it sit for awhile or can I get some clowns this weekend?

ILuvMyGoldBarb
02-19-2009, 07:06 PM
Let it sit. I wouldn't put anything in it for at least 2-4 weeks. After a disaster like this you need to wait a while before restocking it.

unleashed
02-19-2009, 09:23 PM
You also won't be able to sustain a scooter blenny on less than 80 lbs of well established live rock.

The rock needs to be in your tank for about 6 months to a year with no significant pod predators before it is considered 'mature enough' for any dragonet.

Also having a scooter blenny restricts what other species you can keep. For example, unless your tank is massive, you wouldn't be able to keep most species of wrasses if you wanted to keep a healthy scooter blenny

annie p
02-19-2009, 09:34 PM
I'm not putting one in this tank, down the road I'm getting one for the 75 g finish setting up tonite. But, I'm listening to you, I'm going to seed the tank and wait 6-8 mos.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
02-19-2009, 09:42 PM
I agree, not a good idea to put the Scooter in this tank, but just a note about Scooters. They are not as difficult as other Dragonets and are much more likely to accept not only frozen foods but prepared foods as well. With that said, they will still decimate a tank's pod population but unlike the Mandarin's they do not require the pods for survival. You may read online many places that Scooters are equally as difficult as Mandarins however many reefers have found this not to be the case. Of course you will always have your exceptions to the rule.

annie p
03-16-2009, 04:43 PM
OK I'm decided. Inherited a pair of clowns. Next, flame angel, firefish, a pair of watchman gobies, a midas blenny, and later a scooter blenny. How's that? CUC= 2 cleaner shrimp, 2 peppermint, about 10 nassarius snails. Also inherited with the clowns was about 50 lbs LR, OLD LR, good stuff.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
03-16-2009, 04:46 PM
Well, you don't have anything on your CUC that will eat algae. Nassarius snails are not algae eating snails. Other than that, it sounds like a good plan. What kind of clowns did you inherit?

annie p
03-16-2009, 05:02 PM
Perculas. The female is huge and the male is tiny. What to do about the algae? I did add the sump and have some microalgae in it.

labnjab
03-16-2009, 05:05 PM
I would get some astrea snails, turbo snails (try and find tank raised), and some sort of hermit to eat the algae.