PDA

View Full Version : Male Betta Only eats Bloodworms

Chicklet
02-19-2009, 01:57 PM
I have one of my male Betta's That refuses to eat anything unless its "freeze dried Blood worms" It worries me, I have grown very fond on him and really don't want anything to happen to him, I got to thinking where I have so many guppy fry, Why not feed him a few everyday, So thats what I been doing the past several days, I noticed he has been tuns more active, Watching him reminds me of a regular old hunter, He seems to really enjoy the fry,

Just wondering if this is going to be enough sustaining food for him?

I plan on going up country this weekend "weather permitting" More pet stores up that way, I'm hoping I can find more types up that way that he might actually eat too.

Lady Hobbs
02-19-2009, 02:00 PM
He has found his favorite food and now will not eat anything else. You need to let him get hungry then give him pellets. Blood worms are a treat and should only be given once or twice a week "after" they have eaten their regular food.

Chicklet
02-19-2009, 02:06 PM
I've tried letting him go just over two days, almost 3 with no food and he just sits and sulks at the bottom of his tank, I really didn't dare starve him any longer,

When I did offer, The betta flakes, He swam up took one bite spit it out and went back to his corner, I tried the pellets, with the same results,

Wild Turkey
02-19-2009, 02:10 PM
I've tried letting him go just over two days, almost 3 with no food and he just sits and sulks at the bottom of his tank, I really didn't dare starve him any longer,

When I did offer, The betta flakes, He swam up took one bite spit it out and went back to his corner, I tried the pellets, with the same results,

Hes conning you, dont let him. He isnt going to starve before he eats flakes or pellets. Eventually he will figure out if he eats pellets 3 days in a row he gets bloodworms, otherwise he doesnt. Then its you thats conning him ;)

Mvjnz
02-19-2009, 02:15 PM
I give both my splendens and smaragdinas freeze dried bloodworms pretty much every day. These are carnivourous fish so it won't hurt them. When conditioning them for breeding they will be fed bloodworms and other nutritious food several times a day. I doubt breeders would risk that with their expensive fish if it would harm them.

Lady Hobbs
02-19-2009, 02:23 PM

They're little kids, you know. Give them chocolate pudding everyday then try to feed them peas and watch them spit them out. He's just spoiled.

Sharon
02-19-2009, 02:25 PM
I think the problem may lie in the fact that they are freeze dried...contributing to constipation and swim bladder problems. I went through this with one of mine. He went almost two weeks without eating, and then I caved in...

Chicklet
02-19-2009, 02:37 PM
Two weeks, Oh heavens I think I'd have gone nuts with worry waiting that long.
I am just way to afraid I will push starving him just one day to long and then find him dead,

He's been tuns more active then he's ever been since feeding the fry,
I think his colors are even getting brighter too.

I just don't know if I can handle the worries of starving him any more than a few days,

To think a simple fish can have this much control over oneself!

angelcakes
02-19-2009, 02:42 PM
a betta can survive quite a while without food you could try hikari betta bio gold as these are a floating pellet and has all the good stuff in it

Wild Turkey
02-19-2009, 03:04 PM
Feeding bloodworms too much can cause a lot of problems. Parasites, for one. Another is oil build up, and like gemmi mentioned too much freeze dried food expands and oops!:14:

geminidragn
02-19-2009, 10:13 PM
I have a trick that you might want to try.

I have a crown-tail that did the same thing. He refused to eat the pellets and would go three or four days before I would cave in and give him dried blood worms. He would attack it like his life depended on it.

The trick that I tried was to crush up some of the pellets to make them smaller. Starve him for a couple of days and then put the crushed stuff in. My crown-tail attacked it thinking it was bloodworms I think he did this because it looked smaller than the normal pellets and it was easier to put in his mouth. I kept feeding him the crushed stuff for a week before I gave him his treat of bloodworms. Then I started him on the same pellets but without crushing them, he's been eating them every since and he knows what day I will give him the bloodworms though because he practically jumps out of the tank when I put them in!!

Mvjnz
02-20-2009, 06:42 AM
Feeding bloodworms too much can cause a lot of problems. Parasites, for one. Another is oil build up, and like gemmi mentioned too much freeze dried food expands and oops!

If that is the case, then simply soaking the bloodworms before feeding him would take care of the problem.

I doubt any parasites would survive being freeze dried. Bloodworms didn't seem to do too well.

Chicklet
02-20-2009, 12:19 PM
I think after reading everything and doing abit of research, I'm going to take Mvjnz's advice and continue to feed the bloodworms, with the few baby fry,
see just how it goes,
Sometimes you just need to Listen to the fish, He's telling me he's doing great, So maybe he knows the answer. guess I'll see in time.

I appreciate everyone imput on all this, Good seed for thought,
Thanks everyone