PDA

View Full Version : dosile listless oscars

klentir
02-19-2009, 01:40 PM
just got 2 oscars both about 2 inches long had them about 2 weeks both where very energetic in the beginning but in the last 8 to 9 days they have gone very dosile and listless both seem to be hiding all the time and hanging arond at the bottem of tank.when just hanging around they seem to be listing to the 1 side all the time and have stoped eating .water ph is around 7.5 to 8, temperater was low about 70 degrees my tank thermometer wasent working right .turned heater up tank is about 76 now .we changed about 95% of the water it was cloudy.the water here is a hard withed with iron so we filtered it through a britta and let it sit for about 12 hrs .tank is about 40 gallon will upghrade if they live ,chang of water and temp increse hasnt changed fishes mood .feeding cichild gold pellet food even tryed a small piece of freash beef heart it fell on top of the 1s nose and just sat there fell off they ignored it . removet it from the tank about a hour later ..i havent noticed any small white spots or change in skin color apearent and when trying to catch to remove from tank to change water both seem to swim strong and fight the net. hope to hear back from some one dont want fish to die

Lady Hobbs
02-19-2009, 01:43 PM
Was your tank cycled? If not, the toxic levels are probably very high in your tank right now and your fish will die unless you respond immediately with a large water change.

Have you purchased a tester yet to know what those levels are?

Northernguy
02-19-2009, 01:49 PM
Welcome to the AC!

Northernguy
02-19-2009, 01:54 PM
Welcome to the AC!:22:
You will need something to boost your cycle or you may lose your Oscars.
First read the free E-book in the left hand column.Also please goo to the beginner section and read about cycling.You will understand much more about how an aquarium works.
You need a cycle booster,Tetra Safe Start is very good.You also need a dechlorinator,I prefer Aqua-plus!
Here is some reading for you about your Oscars.
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/cichlid/oscar.php
Good luck!

Sorry for the double post! I'll fix it as soon as I figure out how it happened!I would not mind if the first post was deleted.

Brookfish
02-19-2009, 02:21 PM
Maybe your LFS will hold the Oscars for you untill you get your tank cycled?
Welcome to the forum BTW!

angelcakes
02-19-2009, 02:40 PM
hello and welcome:19:
have you declorinated your water theres no mention of it?

Wild Turkey
02-19-2009, 03:14 PM
Welcome to ac!!! :19:

Be sure to read the stickies and free e-book!thumbs2: