PDA

View Full Version : 23 Gallon Long Brackish tank

primetime
02-19-2009, 02:34 AM
I recently bought a dragon (violet) goby for my 55 gallon FW tank. After doing my research, I have decided to set up a brackish 23Gallon tank for it and upgrade the size as if it outgrows it. The tank is long (36") and looks like it should be a legit habitat for the time being.

What I am wondering is what kinds of fish can be kept in this tank. I have never done brackish before and am completely new to the idea. I want fish that are unique and not the typical mollies or guppies. I like the idea of putting a school of bumblebee gobies but I am not sure if the Dragon Goby would eat them. Another option I am considering is brackish puffers but I need to know more about them and whether they would be compatible. I'm also open to other suggestions as well and hoping to get as many ideas as possible. Thanks!

cer
02-19-2009, 10:23 PM
Bumblebee Gobies are territorial so you can not have a school of them. I do not know much about puffers.

Dragon cqzzzzz<
02-19-2009, 10:52 PM
Yeah bumblebee gobies do not generally school. That doesn't mean though that you can't have them in groups. I have nine together in a ten gal and they're spawning.
Your violet goby probably would not eat small fish like BBG's. I have heard of them attacking larger fish, such as tiger barbs (not suitable tankmates) as they mature. Like most gobies (the bumblebees included) violet gobies are territorial. If you're doing tankmates, keep it small.
I would not reccomend puffers as tankmates because I've seen too many pictures/videos of violet gobies that were torn up by puffers.

Red
02-19-2009, 11:03 PM
I would never tell someone to keep puffers with other fish. Very nippy and will nip other fish. I good size fish is a Glass Fish that like brackish and FW. Make sure you don't buy the painted though..

primetime
02-23-2009, 05:47 AM
Thanks for the comments. I guess I will just stick with the dragon for now and look into the bumblebee gobies..also at my LFS I've seen some "purple spot gobies" but to my understanding they are not really true gobies and are FW. Is this true or can they be brackish as well?

Dragon cqzzzzz<
02-25-2009, 02:51 AM
I think purple spotted gudgeons can live in brackish water, but they definitely aren't compatible with bumblebee gobies. Also, with one goby that's going to outgrow the tank it's in right now, I wouldn't go buying something else that isn't the size of a guppy.

Miltonic
02-25-2009, 02:56 AM
you could Mono fish they kinda look like Angels but don't have long fins, I d don't know how they would with the goby though.

Dragon cqzzzzz<
02-26-2009, 12:26 AM
Monos are another fish that gets pretty large. To make the problem worse, they are schoolers. If you're going to get a group of something that grows that size, and put them in a tank with a violet goby that can get over two feet long, you should make sure you've got the tank space first.
Also, monos may also need full marine conditions as adults. There isn't anything that says a violet goby can't live in full saltwater, but considering it appears to be just as minor a part of their lifecycle as freshwater, I wouldn't advise it.

Red
02-26-2009, 12:27 AM
Monos are another fish that gets pretty large. To make the problem worse, they are schoolers. If you're going to get a group of something that grows that size, and put them in a tank with a violet goby that can get over two feet long, you should make sure you've got the tank space first.
Also, monos may also need full marine conditions as adults. There isn't anything that says a violet goby can't live in full saltwater, but considering it appears to be just as minor a part of their lifecycle as freshwater, I wouldn't advise it.

Agreed 100% couldn't have said it any better. Mono's are cool but need big groups and get a good size.

Miltonic
02-26-2009, 01:17 AM
I didn't realize they got that big, not so familiar with brackish fish after all.

Crispy
02-26-2009, 01:22 AM
I think 'scats' are brackish water fish. Kind of like a silver dollar and school like them too. Anyway, I just wanted to say that my spotted figure 8 puffer lives with small eartheaters and calvus' and he does not pick on anyone. He's only 2 inches long and the other fish are an inch or less. The puffer just picks on the snails. :)