PDA

View Full Version : Unexpected Tetra-Eating Betta CLOSED!!!!!

pablo2006
02-12-2006, 02:00 AM
i grew up with tropical fish, and always had a betta in a community tank.

several weeks ago, i set up a new 29 gallon for my kids, and introduced nine neon tetras, a couple corys, pair of mollies, to go along with a betta that had been kept in a small tank for a long time.

all were fine, but then neons started disappearing. not dying - disappearing. no remains to be found. about one every day or so just vanishing.

a mystery.

a few days ago, the kids went to feed the fish and found that we were down to three neons.

then they saw the betta with a neon tetra tail protruding from his mouth.

has anyone ever heard of such a thing? he's a typical specimen - about 2.5 inches long, typical blue/purple. nothing particularly unusual about him.

neons are about 1.5 inches - how is it possible that a single betta could devour half a dozen neons in two weeks?

has anyone ever heard of bettas doing this?

needless to say, he has his own private tank now. the neons have been replaced, and are doing fine.

any comments are welcome.

AQUA_KING
06-28-2006, 07:20 PM
Ive never heard of anything like this. I thought they just killed them not eat them but you always get one who behaves completly out of chractor. I hope him and the new neons are okey.

AQUA_KING

William
06-28-2006, 08:39 PM
He likely feed on an already dead neon.

MagickFish
08-10-2006, 10:09 PM
If bettas is the same fish I am thinking aboute. I have never seen one longer than my little finger, how could a so smal fish eat so many nenon tetras, where do he put them? Is he like women and chocolathe, there is always room for one more. I mena a so smal fish, his belly can not be so exrtemly big.

kimmers318
08-11-2006, 04:45 AM
I have read from other people that bettas can/will eat neon tetras, luckily I haven't experienced this myself. Fish seem to be just like people...each has their own personality, and what works for one, may not work for another.

MagickFish
08-11-2006, 07:17 AM
Yes thye have their own personality, even in a big steam of tetras there are induviduality to the induviduals in the group. Wat I dont understand is how it is possible of a betta to eat neon tatra, and 7 of would not fit in his belly.

Severus
08-30-2006, 08:36 PM
I had three neon tetras in with a betta, and he completly ate one of their tails.

Slow Cheetah
09-01-2006, 01:53 AM
bettas each have their own personality. Maybe tthe reason was that he felt cramped by alot of neons swimming aroun him.

crabbypatti
10-14-2006, 10:04 PM
I was just reading about Betta's and they are meat eaters. My problem with my Bettas is that they keep dying.

betta mom
10-14-2006, 11:24 PM
i had the same trouble with one of my betta's , he killed and ate 2 of my neon's . so it does happen . why ? i don't know . he is now in a tank of his own . i have found it best to keep them in their own tanks . :thumb:

Reckless_Angel
10-15-2006, 08:12 AM
The betta I had , I didn't realise that it's nickname was "The fighting fish"

He was having a go at everything, at first I thought Oh thats nice, he's playing...

then as the guppies tails became shredded... I wondered what was going on...

when he had one pinned against the side of the tank having a real battle with her, that's when he had to go...

Someone once suggested put a Mirror in the tank.....

betta mom
10-15-2006, 07:32 PM
betta's and guppies do not mix . they see the tail and well go after them and will kill them . :wink2:

Lexington101
06-04-2011, 01:19 PM
I have one male and three female Betta’s (also two Pleco’s and three Corey’s to help with the scraps). I buy about four – six Tetra’s every other week or so, my Betta’s love them, they’re a great source of protein and it encourages their natural predatory nature; which I find also enhances the Betta’s colors.

ArkD'Julie
06-05-2011, 07:26 AM
I have one male and three female Betta’s (also two Pleco’s and three Corey’s to help with the scraps). I buy about four – six Tetra’s every other week or so, my Betta’s love them, they’re a great source of protein and it encourages their natural predatory nature; which I find also enhances the Betta’s colors.

Why is it you'd like to encourage his natural predatory nature? Just wondering. Bloodworms, brine shrimp, mosquito larvae, and many pelleted foods are also great sources of protein.

Cyberra
06-05-2011, 07:44 AM
In the summer, I just leave the tank lids open a bit. Plenty of fruit flies just love landing in any available body of water... Free betta chow

troy
06-05-2011, 10:20 PM
This thread is over 4 years old. Mods please close this thread.

Lady Hobbs
06-06-2011, 05:11 AM

Bad enough you feed your Betta live tetras but you also post in threads almost 5 years old!

Thread now closed.

Please set your options so you aren't seeing these old threads.