View Full Version : hey

red tail shark admirer
02-18-2009, 10:19 PM
ive got a ten gallon tank
red tail shark, red von rio tetra, and a rainbow shark

Fishalicious
02-18-2009, 10:21 PM
Hi and welcome!!!

Unbelievable that your red tail and rainbow have not killed each other yet...? They usually do not tolerate anything that resembles themselves and fight to the death.... especially in a tank that small...

Jellygirl
02-18-2009, 10:24 PM
Welcome to the forum

I would echo what fishalicious has said. I think you need a 55 gallon for one of those sharks and two of them just might be tempting fate.

Jellygirl

Deleted User
02-18-2009, 10:27 PM
Hi welcome to AC.

I agree with Fishalicious.

You will need to upgrade your tank as soon as you can & decide on which you want to keep before one gets killed or both.

Wild Turkey
02-18-2009, 10:33 PM
Welcome!!

It would be much easier, and less costly to return the fish now, and if you want the shark, do research and get a big tank set up at your own pace/fiscal ability. I think your sharks are going to need a new home faster than you can do the research and get the tank setup. It depends though, if you have tons of time and money, go for it.

Fisha is right its astounding that the sharks havent killed eachother yet, i suspect its do to the conditions being so cramped, or possibly some cycling issues?

Did you cycle the tank?

red tail shark admirer
02-18-2009, 10:34 PM
ive had the red tail for about a week and its about an inch long and then my aunt gave me her 2in rainbow shark at least i think it is its bodies black and it has red fins and im getting a bigger tank as soon as i can but i dont have a job right now but so far their getting a long the rainbow was kept in a 30 gallon wit a peacock eel and a couple sword tails and all the rainbow does is sit in this vase i got at the pet store

Eddie
02-18-2009, 10:39 PM
Hi and welcome!!!

Unbelievable that your red tail and rainbow have not killed each other yet...? They usually do not tolerate anything that resembles themselves and fight to the death.... especially in a tank that small...

i agree

but welcome anyways =)

Wild Turkey
02-18-2009, 10:40 PM
ive had the red tail for about a week and its about an inch long and then my aunt gave me her 2in rainbow shark at least i think it is its bodies black and it has red fins and im getting a bigger tank as soon as i can but i dont have a job right now but so far their getting a long the rainbow was kept in a 30 gallon wit a peacock eel and a couple sword tails and all the rainbow does is sit in this vase i got at the pet store

The rainbow does that because its stressed out. The sharks need a tank 5x the size of the one you have, and i hate to say it, but the absolute cheapest i could set up a 55 for is about $200, so if you dont have a job, i would give the fish back, or to the lfs.

Did you cycle the tank?

red tail shark admirer
02-18-2009, 10:52 PM
k but on ac the page for the red tail it says a 20 gallon would do ok to. and the rainbows moving a round more to now but ive heard you can keep multiple sharks together if you have an odd number of them and is it common for rainbows to have all black bodies and red fins

red tail shark admirer
02-18-2009, 11:00 PM
if i get a bigger tank can i just get another shark cuz my gma had a 33 gallon tank and 3 red tails

Wild Turkey
02-18-2009, 11:37 PM
This is what i saw on the profile page: "should not be kept in an aquarium that is smaller than 90 centimeters (3 feet)."
A 55 is 4 feet, and its long and thin.

Someone who knows more about them will post soon im sure. Im pretty sure your grandma had some stocking issues as well, looks like shes managed to pawn one of them off on you.lol

Again, DID YOU CYCLE THE TANK?

Sorry caps, but thats the 3rd time ive asked so i figured it would be seen this time :D

Northernguy
02-18-2009, 11:43 PM
Welcome to the Fabulous AC!:22:
Glad to hear you have read up on the sharks!
How long has your tank been running?
What did you do to cycle your tank?

fins_n_fur
02-18-2009, 11:47 PM
Again, DID YOU CYCLE THE TANK?

Sorry caps, but thats the 3rd time ive asked so i figured it would be seen this time :D

WT, I think it's safe to assume that the original poster is a beginner and may not completely or at all understand what it means to cycle a tank. Why not give a short explanation?

Wild Turkey
02-18-2009, 11:56 PM
WT, I think it's safe to assume that the original poster is a beginner and may not completely or at all understand what it means to cycle a tank. Why not give a short explanation?

I was thinking along these lines, but i like to get a "what is it?" first, since in the past ive assumed and gotten my head bit off.

Do you know what we mean when we say the "nitrogen cycle"? If not probably take a look at some of the cycling stickies to get an idea. If you didnt cycle your tank previous to adding fish, its probable your ammonia is way up. I also suspect that even if the tank was cycled previously, the addition of two large sharks in the last week and more than tripling the bio-load could also be giving you a mini-cycle and causing ammonia spikes.

Do you test your water?

fins_n_fur
02-19-2009, 12:04 AM
Thank you...and to elaborate a bit further...fish produce waste which turns into ammonia. If you have not cycled your tank (or filter), there isn't any or enough naturally occurring bacteria to turn this waste product into nitrites, nor any bacteria to turn the nitrites into nitrates. Ammonia and nitrites in small amounts can be deadly to your fish (nitrates less so). When there is a build up of ammonia, it will kill your fish painfully. If your tank hasn't been cycled, you need to get yourself some test kits: 1 for ammonia, 1 for nitrites, and 1 for nitrates. You need to be prepared to do daily water changes to keep the ammonia and nitrites at low enough levels so that fish can survive, and but high enough to allow your tank to cycle.

You can read the stickies (highlighted in red) here: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/forumdisplay.php?f=111

troy
02-19-2009, 12:35 AM
Welcome to AC. You'd be best off getting rid of the two 'sharks'.

red tail shark admirer
02-19-2009, 12:36 AM
ive had the tank up for about 2-2 1/2 weeks and ive been doing water changes every other day ive gotta wait till my mom gets paid to get the test kits

escamosa
02-19-2009, 06:04 AM
G'day Redtail, enjoy you time at AC.
Don't be afraid to ask lot's of questions.thumbs2:

kvuyk2
02-19-2009, 07:35 AM
Welcome to the AC, Red Tail Shark Admirer!

brianyu
02-19-2009, 07:49 AM
:19: welcome dude
watch your budget before bought anything, researching for the fish you can put in the proportion tanks size. a 10 gal can be very nice if you can well maintained. a 50 gal tank mean a lots of time and money. :goldfish:

angelcakes
02-19-2009, 07:57 AM
hello and welcome:19: :19:

red tail shark admirer
02-19-2009, 09:19 PM
my rainbow shark jumped out of the tank last night so i guess i can keep the red tail

Northernguy
02-19-2009, 10:52 PM
Sorry to hear it.:11:
Sharks do like to jump.I would get a lid soon.

Wild Turkey
02-19-2009, 11:00 PM
You will still need a much larger tank to keep the redtail
Sorry for your loss, make sure you cover the tank well.

Ellen4God
02-19-2009, 11:05 PM
Welcome to AC!! I hope you're able to get your tank cycled and everything straightened out.

red tail shark admirer
02-20-2009, 09:22 PM
i have a lid and it jumped out of a hole a bout the size of a half dollar and i covered it up but where the filter opening is its about 1-1 1/2 inches long and i lost the red tail now, anyone got any ideas on how to cover it up

frank_zappa
02-23-2009, 02:00 AM
get a small piece of plexiglass. you will have to trim it to the size you need. dont just try to cut it with scissors or break it off because you will crack it. first score it very deeply with a knife all along the edges where you want it cut and then just break it off by hand. then fit it into place something like this

red tail shark admirer
02-28-2009, 05:47 AM
thanks ill try it