PDA

View Full Version : Cycle works?

PostalPenguin
02-18-2009, 09:11 PM
I got my ten gallon on Monday and it is filled and fishless cycling at the moment. Given the troubles that everyone else has finding ammonia I expected to be hard pressed to find it but the local grocery store is heavily stocked. thumbs2: Anyways, I had some Cycle laying around and figured why not try it? Dosed ammonia to ~2-4ppm on Monday, set heater to 82F. Added some Cycle same day. Tuesday, Day 2, readings were Ammonia: ~2ppm Nitrites: 0ppm. Added a few more drops of ammonia and more cycle. Today, Day 3, the readings are at Ammonia ~1ppm and Nitrites at ~0.25-0.5.

So perhaps Cycle works? :14: Or is seeing Nitrites at day 3 normal?

Lady Hobbs
02-19-2009, 01:41 AM
Bacteria is to be used doing fish cycling and not necessarily with the ammonia cycling. The purpose of these products is to hold the toxins down but you are trying to built them up by using the ammonia. One product is working against the other.

Algenco
02-19-2009, 01:43 AM
from testing done by members here it prolongs the cycle but usually keep levels low enough for fish to survive (barely)

Wild Turkey
02-19-2009, 01:49 AM
from testing done by members here it prolongs the cycle but usually keep levels low enough for fish to survive (barely)

Agreed, in my experiences if anything, it lowers dangerous levels slightly, and not much else except maybe prolong the cycle a bit.

Honestly, this is the first ive ever heard of any result such as this with cycle, so it may be coincidental. Mandy cycled a tank in a week if you guys remember, lucky duck.

PostalPenguin
02-19-2009, 02:12 AM
Huh. Well if its only going to prolong the cycle I will stop adding it and continue along without it. Thanks!