PDA

View Full Version : My first real loss... :'(

Camona2333
02-18-2009, 03:51 PM
I looked at my tank this morning and saw that two of my anemones (Bubble tips) were dead. One of them was very obviously dead - she was floating in a clump at the top of my tank. The other anemone was half floating, half clinging on to the gravel and when I put her into a separate beaker, she floated to the top. And she had virtually no form when I lifted her up with the net. I am going to check more carefully (when I have more time - I had to rush away from the tank) to make sure she is dead, but I'm pretty sure she is.

I still have 4 BTAs in the tank and they all look healthy, but I'm going to keep an eye on them. Luckily, I think I got the anemone out early enough before it totally fouled up my tank - my clownfish are all still alive, thank goodness. I'm going to do a 20% water change tomorrow, though, just in case. And I'll check the ammonia today.

This is even more sad because the one that really died today (was a floating clump) was my favorite anemone because she was so pretty. Her name was Katie. When she arrived, she was a gorgeous white-yellow color, but after she grew a little and spent some time in the tank, she became a very bright white with yellow-ish tentacles under the light. The other anemone, Maria, has always been the smallest one, even when the anemones first arrived. She was pretty too, especially under my metal halide lights - her body was brown, but her tentacles were a very light color, basically white.

So RIP Maria and Katie.

Rue
02-18-2009, 04:33 PM
So sorry...any idea what it might have been?:scry:

Camona2333
02-18-2009, 04:41 PM
Well people have suggested my phosphate problem could have caused it. Phosphate is around 3 ppm because the water used to make water changes has phosphate in it (no reverse osmosis filter).

Rue
02-18-2009, 04:49 PM
Is there any way you can either buy R/O water or get a filter? Using tap water causes everyone problems...

labnjab
02-18-2009, 05:01 PM
Sorry for your losses. You can also get a phosphate reactor. Walmart sells RO/DI water (green top, great valve brand). I've tested it several times and its always been at 0 phosphate and tds (it may have a small amount, phosphate test kits aren't the greatest. 3ppm phosphate in most cases is harmless to fish, but can be detrimental to inverts and corals