PDA

View Full Version : dwarf gourami and neon tetra compatability

meggman
02-18-2009, 05:42 AM
i currently have a 6 gallon tank stocked with 5 neon tetras. i'm interested in adding 1 dwarf gourami, but i'm concerned that the tank is already at capacity. I'm also concerned about the compatibility between dwarf gouramis and neon tetras. if they are compatible, but the tank would overcrowded, I could give two of the tetras to a friend, reducing the number to 3 neons, and 1 dwarf gourami. any advice on these combinations? thanks so much!

escamosa
02-18-2009, 06:01 AM
Dwarf Gouramis are good community fish, i have Dwarf Gouramis in with tetras and have no trouble.
I would'nt lesson the amount of neons, they like schools of 5 or so.
You could get away with one Gourami, but you will have to do regular water changes in a tank that size.
Hope this helps.thumbs2:

geowashlaw
02-18-2009, 02:12 PM
Dwarf Gouramis are good community fish, i have Dwarf Gouramis in with tetras and have no trouble.
I would'nt lesson the amount of neons, they like schools of 5 or so.
You could get away with one Gourami, but you will have to do regular water changes in a tank that size.
Hope this helps.thumbs2:

ditto ... my dwarf gourami doesn't bother my neons or any of my other fish

Wild Turkey
02-18-2009, 02:18 PM
I disagree with the above posters. 5 neons in a 6 gallon is already pushing it. Not so much the bio-load as swimming room. 6 gallon tanks are only good for shrimp, other inverts, a betta, or fish 1" and under IMO.
No gourami in a 6 gal, possibly if it was by itself, but I still wouldnt.

You are right to think your tank is pretty much at capacity.

geowashlaw
02-18-2009, 02:28 PM
I defer to WT ... I'm not an expert on bio-load ... consider my comment only as regards to compatability of the Gourami with the neons thumbs2:

Wild Turkey
02-18-2009, 02:54 PM
I defer to WT ... I'm not an expert on bio-load ... consider my comment only as regards to compatability of the Gourami with the neons thumbs2:

Sorry geo, yes they are of course great together, my comment was about the total stocking; i should have worded that one better:14: sries

escamosa
02-18-2009, 08:20 PM
I disagree with the above posters. 5 neons in a 6 gallon is already pushing it. Not so much the bio-load as swimming room. 6 gallon tanks are only good for shrimp, other inverts, a betta, or fish 1" and under IMO.
No gourami in a 6 gal, possibly if it was by itself, but I still wouldnt.

You are right to think your tank is pretty much at capacity.

What method of measurement do you use to calculate this W.T? I just used the "surface area calculation". Work out surface area which is width x length and then allow 1 inch of fish per 12 square inches. Less planted areas.

Wild Turkey
02-19-2009, 01:41 AM
What method of measurement do you use to calculate this W.T? I just used the "surface area calculation". Work out surface area which is width x length and then allow 1 inch of fish per 12 square inches. Less planted areas.

There are no "/g rules that are useful at all.

Im not sure what figure you are asking me about, elaborate?
Im saying a 3" fish does not belong in a 6 gallon tank, IMO, unless perhaps its a betta.

meggman
02-19-2009, 04:19 AM
There are no "/g rules that are useful at all.

Im not sure what figure you are asking me about, elaborate?
Im saying a 3" fish does not belong in a 6 gallon tank, IMO, unless perhaps its a betta.

Just to clarify, I'm thinking about getting a dwarf gourami, not at full sized gourami. I believe they are only 2" max size. This should be okay in a 6 gallon tank no? Really appreciate all the feedback.

Gemini
02-19-2009, 04:28 AM
Tetras and dwarfs will occupy the same area. I'm with Turkey - no room.
I'm also going to disagree that the dwarfs are nice - mine was a **** it used to beat up my Angel - killed one of them....

Wild Turkey
02-19-2009, 04:41 AM
Yes Dwarf Gourami is what i was talking about 2-3" depending

escamosa
02-19-2009, 06:33 AM
Everyone has different opinions here meggman, that's why this forum is so good, if your still a bit confused as what to do, you will see to the left of your screen, under a title of "Tropical fish species", a sub title "By common name", click on that and select D for Dwarf Gourami and that might help you to decide.thumbs2:

terrapin24h
02-20-2009, 08:57 PM
I have a gold gourami in an eclipse 6 gallon tank. He's very happy and very social with people. He plays with his reflection, builds bubble nests, and hangs out in his house. I watch the tank like a hawk though, regular water changes, light feeding, etc. I got him full grown, kinda a rescue as he couldn't be put in with other fish(nasty temper). No ammonia or trite and trate stays under 20 always. I wouldn't put anything else in there with him even if he tolerated it, especially high energy fish like neons. Gourami and bettas are closely related(both part of the same family, the anabantoids or labyrinth fish) and are lower energy, top water fish. Putting that in with neons in a small tank like a 6 would prob stress out the gourami, being in such tight space with other fish. Done right you could keep a gourami in there by himself, but not with other fish.

--chris