PDA

View Full Version : Finally

Drumachine09
02-11-2007, 01:08 AM
I finally got my cichlid tank up and running...sort of. I have my gravel in and my rock formation. i am soooo happy. now i have 2 scolofolis, and 2 unknowns. The guy at the store didnt know thier name off hand, but keeps them wth blue scolofolis, yellow labs, and red zebras. i am planning on geting some labs and zebras soon. As soon as my brother stops being a jerk, he will let me use his camera so i can post pics and figure out what cichlid it is.

f1oored
02-11-2007, 01:16 AM
Cant wait to see the pics. Congrats on the new tank.

Drumachine09
02-11-2007, 01:18 AM
I am SUPER excited about it. I cant wait untill some of the murkyness clears up so i can put my newq buddies in. is there anything that anyone knows of that can raise the ph?

Drumachine09
02-11-2007, 01:34 AM
The tank is fully cycled, but it is kinda murky, would a water change help clear this up?

My fish range from 1-1.5 inches. I went into petco to get a new guppy, and i was shocked at the condition of their tanks. they were friggen imaculate! i came out with 14 lbs of slate, 50 lbs of rocks, and 4 cichlids. the cichlids were 99 cents a peace...WHAT MORE COULD I ASK FOR?!?!?! I was talking to the guy in thefish section, and he told me that he used to work at a lfs untill they closed dows, so now he works there, and he cleaned up their tanks big time. in 8 more days, he will be the fish department manager, and is going to transfer all of the people who dont know diddly squat about fish out of there. he told me he could hook me up with a job, because he could tell i knew what i was talking about. Since wrestling season is over (as of today...yay:1luvu:) i will be able to get a job again. i even get the employee discount.but i forgot to get the guppy.....dang.

f1oored
02-11-2007, 02:11 AM
That sounds cool. For your pH there are several different ways you can go. Some people use cichlid lake salts and buffers. These are probably the hardest to find but they probably make your water the most like the natural environment. Next you can use proper pH. This is easier to find and many people have a lot of success with this product. Your third option is a do-it-yourself buffer salt. This is what I do. Mix equal parts of epson salt, aquarium salt, and baking soda. To figure out the right amount use a 5 gallon bucket and start with a teaspoon of each. Measure the pH after it's mixed in and if it is where you want it good, if not add more or less.

Be careful because the fish store will likely not use high pH water and you could put the fish into shock if the pH is not close enough.

As far as murky water goes... I find the use a a water polisher (floss filter) works wonders.

Fishguy2727
02-11-2007, 02:26 AM
The Cichlid Lake Salts are different from buffer, they supply the proper elements in the proper proportions that would be found in their natives lakes. Proper pH is a buffer. The buffers keep the pH as would naturally be found. The Cichlid Lakes Salt combined with the buffer seems ot be the best combo in my tanks.

Drumachine09
02-11-2007, 02:42 AM
I put in my home made sponge filter, and it is clearing up some. would a water change be the quickest way to get rid of the murkyness?

Incredulous_Ed
02-11-2007, 03:10 AM
Probably.

I'm not sure, but can't you use crushed coral to raise the hardness and pH?

cocoa_pleco
02-11-2007, 03:27 AM
when I added my new gravel today, there was cloudy water shortly after, but I got some of that p-clear stuff that clumps small particles and the tanks slowly clearing up

Drumachine09
02-11-2007, 03:53 AM
My tank is slowly getting a little bit clearer. i did a 5 gallon water change, but i dont think it helped.

cocoa_pleco
02-11-2007, 03:56 AM
as long as ammonia nitrite nitrate are fine, the cloudiness will go away itself

Drumachine09
02-11-2007, 04:09 AM
My levels are perfecto! I hope it clears up. i want my new found pals to have the best habitat possible.

cocoa_pleco
02-11-2007, 04:22 AM
fish dont care about cloudy water as long as all your parameters are good.

Drumachine09
02-11-2007, 04:47 AM
But I care about cloudy water. It bothers me SOOOO much. i gues im anal retentive or something.

Chrona
02-11-2007, 04:50 AM
But I care about cloudy water. It bothers me SOOOO much. i gues im anal retentive or something.

No same here lol. A week ago, my water was cloudy for no apparent reason and I spent over 50 bucks in supplies to try to fix it lol. Turns out all the stuff I bought in the end didn't do anything and it went away by itself after a week :rolleyes:

Drumachine09
02-11-2007, 04:54 AM
Killer signature.

cocoa_pleco
02-11-2007, 05:01 AM
i hate cloudy water too.
Its super esthetically unpleasing

Drumachine09
02-11-2007, 05:15 AM
I looked at all the cichlid pics on aquahobby.com, and only found that my unknown fish vaugly resemble the livingstons hap.
http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_living.php

It has that patern from the top of the body, to halfway down, then is mostly yellow. it is a little rosy red down by the bottom of the gills. can anyone identify?

f1oored
02-11-2007, 05:57 AM
I hope its not a hap. That fish you found gets to be 10 inches. That will give you many problems with your current setup. What it sounds like to me is that you might have gotten a hybird. Lots of them have patterns like what you are describing and they are very common in pet stores, usually labled as mixed africans.

Drumachine09
02-11-2007, 05:59 AM
Would it be a good idea to return them and see if i can get ahold of some yellow labs instead?

cocoa_pleco
02-11-2007, 06:13 AM
i'd say so. Get something thats smaller
They look like haps and are from malawi

Drumachine09
02-11-2007, 06:18 AM
Crap.... Id hate to do that. They are DAMN fine looking fish. but i guess its for the better.

f1oored
02-11-2007, 06:32 AM
Post a picture before you return them. Maybe someone will be able to ID them and maybe they are just a hybrid of some different mbunas.

Nautilus291
02-11-2007, 08:59 AM
I hate returning fish that I liked alot but didnt work out in my tank. I guess its part of the hobby. My water is always a little murky becuase I use peat in my filters. It turns my water a tan color. I think there might be tanis or wtever its called in the stuff I bought. after a couple of water changes it stops coloring my water so thats good.

Drumachine09
02-11-2007, 02:39 PM
Good news everyone, my tank is super clear this morning. i got to see my cichlids frolic in and out of their rock caves. Now i just have to get rid of the water marks on the outside and im in business. I see if i can get the camera today to get a pic of the unknown.

Drumachine09
02-11-2007, 04:14 PM
I got some pictuers, but for the life of me, i cant get them resized, posted,or hosted anywhere. Would some kind soul let me email my pics to them, because i have NO idea what im doing.

Thanks

Drumachine09
02-11-2007, 04:17 PM
Scratch that.Photobucket decided to stop being stupid. here they are.

My tank, and the fish that i NEED identified

http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/t257/drumachine09/

cocoa_pleco
02-11-2007, 05:11 PM
can you take a clearer pic?
its really hard to tell