PDA

View Full Version : betta death..

Slow Cheetah
02-18-2009, 12:05 AM
arghhhhh
im so angry and upset at myself right now

i had my male in a 3.2 gallon since saturday night, and i knew about monday morning he wasnt as active as usual. but stupid me, oh he will be ok. left it til yesterday around 2 in the arvo n my buddys gasping for air and his fins arent looking great. i did 50% water change. 20-30 mins later, a little perkier but no tmuch. so i moved him from the 3.2 to 10 gallon by acclimatizing, careful not to introduce any 3.2 gallon water. he was stressed and not great so i left the filter off witht he lid open for air. i found him this morning in an ornament he must of just stopped breathing. if i had reacted that day sooner...

im 90% sure the thing that killed him is the tank i had him in. chinese small tank. and im sure the glue stuff on the sides that holds prevents leaks was seeping into the water...

i was planning on buying my betta a proper brand small 5-6 gall tank this weekend.. im so sorry i let him down..

my basic morale of the story is.. its worth paying that extra little bit of money to get quality equipment for your fish.

thanks for listening. just had to write it down

Wild Turkey
02-18-2009, 01:33 AM
I doubt it was the tank

Did you seed the media in the 3.2?
How bout the 10gal?
Leaving the filter off is a death sentence. The filter actually introduces oxygen as it breaks the water, not that it would kill the betta (labby fish) but the lack of beneficial bacteria in the filter/tank will. Leaving the top off of the tank does nothing but increase evaporation and so it makes your water harder, and harder as you top it off.

Slow Cheetah
02-18-2009, 01:38 AM
yes i did seed the 3.2. i had a 3 inch peice of filter media cut from my 10 gallon. i also put the sponge from the filter sponge in my 3.2, in the 10 gallon filter for 5 days before i put it into the 3.2

hmm it seems i did him no favours. i left the filter off because my 10 gal is taller than wide so he may have gotten sucked onto filter head in his state.

i turned filter back on this morning after i took his body out.

Wild Turkey
02-18-2009, 01:48 AM
yes i did seed the 3.2. i had a 3 inch peice of filter media cut from my 10 gallon. i also put the sponge from the filter sponge in my 3.2, in the 10 gallon filter for 5 days before i put it into the 3.2

hmm it seems i did him no favours. i left the filter off because my 10 gal is taller than wide so he may have gotten sucked onto filter head in his state.

i turned filter back on this morning after i took his body out.

In the future you can put a piece of foam over the intake, and turn it down to decrease the flow if its adjustable, and if not you can stuff it densely with media to slow it. Using the old half of a soda bottle trick works well also.

Were you testing the water? Thats the most crucial thing for assessing problems.

Slow Cheetah
02-18-2009, 01:59 AM
only ph - 7.0

many lfs around here don't have master kits only a random ammonia, nitrite etc and are like 25 dollars each i think. many of them have the 'philosophy' that master kits are uneeded expenses and aslong as you keep water changes, gravel siphons and not overfeeding at a constant, you will be fine, which i tend to agree with.

But in cases like these, it would be better to have them i think.. when your not sure whats going on.

ndntakeover
02-26-2009, 02:07 AM
is that the picture of your betta in your profile image?

if so, it looks really pretty

sorry about the loss : (
i got a male betta today for my tank...its a community tank with 3 mollies and zebrafish.

s72450
02-26-2009, 03:09 AM
is that the picture of your betta in your profile image?

if so, it looks really pretty

sorry about the loss : (
i got a male betta today for my tank...its a community tank with 3 mollies and zebrafish.

Just be careful adding him into a community tank. I'd worry about the other fish more than him hurting them. They get easily stressed, I know from first hand experience with this.

Wild Turkey
02-26-2009, 03:14 AM
only ph - 7.0

many lfs around here don't have master kits only a random ammonia, nitrite etc and are like 25 dollars each i think. many of them have the 'philosophy' that master kits are uneeded expenses and aslong as you keep water changes, gravel siphons and not overfeeding at a constant, you will be fine, which i tend to agree with.

But in cases like these, it would be better to have them i think.. when your not sure whats going on.

I have to disagree with you and your lfs. Testing the water is 100% needed and the only way to actaully tell whats going on in the aquarium. Having them not only could have prevented the death, but either way there is no way to determine if he died from the water parameters or not without test kits. There is also no way to monitor the cycle or lack of. Test kits are absolutely essential for good fish keeping. You can purchase a freshwater master test for less than $30 including shipping online if you shop around.

Slow Cheetah
02-26-2009, 03:21 AM
yes that was my betta in the avatar.

and WT, would they be that cheap in AUS

i see people from the US always seem to pick stuff up with shipping etc online but i have never bought something over the net, and if its as cheap as it is in the US

thanks for the reply

Wild Turkey
02-26-2009, 03:37 AM
I dont know the exchange rates or how things are over there exactly.
I know stock is way over priced, so in terms of equipment, a freshwater master test kit would be about as much as two ten gallon tanks (just the glass) if that helps at all.

For actual websites for aus, i know there are some but i wouldnt know any URLS, some members from aus will know.

Slow Cheetah
02-26-2009, 03:40 AM
ok cheers

il put up a post specifically asking about it sometime and hopefully someone will know

thanks for the help

ndntakeover
02-26-2009, 11:30 AM
Just be careful adding him into a community tank. I'd worry about the other fish more than him hurting them. They get easily stressed, I know from first hand experience with this.

well he isnt being bothered by the other fish
but he is very active...like he swims constantly
is this normal for a betta?

Chicklet
02-26-2009, 01:16 PM
My Betta's are always active and busy, So I would say its a good thing,
Considering alot that I end up buying are in hard shape and barely move for about 3 days,, some almost dead, I just can't go home without them. then they become little rockets within 3 days, and they start to look reall good in about 1 week. so active is a good thing in my opionion

Northernguy
02-26-2009, 02:42 PM
One other thing,when you seed a tank from another filter you must add fish or ammonia right away to keep that bacteria alive.You waited a few days so the tank was no longer seeded.Unless of course you added ammonia and did not mention it.
Sorry to hear about your beta! The bigger tank is a better way to go!