PDA

View Full Version : Build my own Tank Chiller Query...Freshwater

Maddox
02-11-2006, 03:34 PM
Build my own Tank Chiller Query...Freshwater

Hi
The house I live in reaches approx 30 - 35 (sometimes 40 degrees Celsius) on most days in summer. (Not sure what that means in Fahrenheit, but believe me, it is hot!!!)

As you can imagine, my fish (mostly goldfish and tetras) are not comfortable and some die...(although, my catfish and ghost skirts have survived 2 summers!)

Although death could occur from disease, I would like to eliminate this heat parameter and provide a humane existence for them. (And it is more than likely the heat any way!)

I would like to get/make a water chiller that would chill an 80 litre fresh water tank to approx 26 degrees.

As these are quite costly devices targeted towards Saltwater tanks, I would like to attempt to build my own...Has any one attempted to build their own and would like to share/discuss their ideas/projects?

I have thought of using a travel cooler that run of 12 volts. Check this link for Cooler photo... (http://www.cabelas.com/products/Cpod0009092.jsp).

I imagine it would work like this...
I would fill the cooler box with water, chill it and then circulate tank water through the chilled water using copper pipes, before feeding the cooled tank water back into the tank…

Obviously a thermostat and constant power source would be required…

Any further suggestions???

Cheers

Maddie...

William
02-12-2006, 06:28 AM
I would suggest adding some salt to the water in the chiller box as that will help the cooling porcess and reduce the power usages.

EDDIE110171
02-28-2006, 07:11 PM
Why not just do small water changes daily, with refridgerated water?

William
03-01-2006, 01:09 AM
Wouldnät work as the temperature would climb again to fast. He would have to change water on an hourly basis ;-)