PDA

View Full Version : Hello from NJ!

ErikFromNJ
02-17-2009, 02:30 AM
Hello everyone! I was at an estate sale this past weekend and picked up a 70 gallon for $100. The base is solid oak and built like a tank, however the top looked kind of boring so I decided to build (carpenter by trade) a canopy for it out of solid oak as well. I think it looks more balance now :) Tomorrow I'll stain and poly it to match the base.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q163/TSWCorpsegrinder/100_5346.jpg

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q163/TSWCorpsegrinder/100_5348.jpg

I used to have 55 gallon aquarium a few years back that had 2 oscars, a pleca (sp?), 1 dempsey and a stingray. All though they were all babies man did those osars poop alot! I remember it being such a pita to keep the tank clean with them guys. Well one day I came home and the stingray was dead. I dont know what the heck happened, then a week later the dempsey passed. Then a few weeks later the pleca died! WTF! I didn't know what to do! I ended up moving the oscars to my brothers tanks, (he still has them) and called it quits with the whole aquarium. Years later, got married, had 2 kids, bought a house and ran into this 70 gallon thinking how cool it would be to start up again. I think my mids will really enjoy it. Heck there excited with no fish in it!

I just found this forum last night, btw, it looks like a great place with a ton of info (almost too much info!). If someone would so politely point me into the right direction as to where I can get some good reading to learn about how to set up my tank up I'd appreciate it.

Also, what do you guys/gals think as far as kind of fish I should start with. I'd like to stay away from the oscars. That stingray I had was very cool that I'd like to get another if I can find one. They were tough to find back then.

Anyways, enough of my rambling, I better get to reading. Again thanks for any info and I look forward to chatting with you folks!!

...Erik

Brookfish
02-17-2009, 02:35 AM
Hello and welcome to the forum, thats a great looking tank.thumbs2:

Deleted User
02-17-2009, 02:37 AM
Hi welcome to AC. That is going to be a stunning set up. thumbs2:

Wild Turkey
02-17-2009, 03:08 AM
I agree with the above posters! you're well on your way!

Welcome to ac! :19: thumbs2:

Ellen4God
02-17-2009, 04:12 AM
Welcome to AC!! :) It's great to have you. You can start by reading the Free Aquarium Ebook found in the left menu list thing. That will give you TONS of info about getting started and set up! Good luck. :)

Northernguy
02-17-2009, 04:21 AM
Welcome to the Fabulous AC!:22:
Thats an impressive looking tank!

Crispy
02-17-2009, 04:24 AM
Welcome to the AC! A 70 gallon is a great tank to start again with! Nice find!

ErikFromNJ
02-17-2009, 04:33 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone and thanks you Ellen4God for pointing me in the right direction!

mac
02-17-2009, 07:17 AM
Nice tank stand looks great. The new lid looks very nice.

By the way welcome to the forum.

mac

fins_n_fur
02-17-2009, 08:01 AM
Hello and welcome home to the A.C.! Great looking tank and a pretty good deal as well!

You've already been pointed to the e-book which is a great start. One thing I did notice, those large windows to the left of the tank. How much light comes through during the day and do you have drapes or curtains? A lot of direct/indirect sunlight could potential cause algae issues once you have the tank set-up and running. Just wanted to highlight this before you get the tank set-up.

escamosa
02-17-2009, 08:46 AM
G'DAY, enjoy tour time at AC. Your one lucky guy gettin that for a hundred.thumbs2:

sandy_n
02-17-2009, 10:35 AM
Hi Erik and welcome to AC. Great find at the estate sale. Beautiful cabinet.

Sharon
02-17-2009, 11:35 AM
That IS a gorgeous tank!thumbs2:

Eddie
02-17-2009, 12:01 PM
Welcome to the AC!

troy
02-17-2009, 02:32 PM
Welcome to AC!

ErikFromNJ
02-18-2009, 03:09 AM
Thanks for the suggestion fins_n_fur. That window is on the south side of the house so there is absolutely no sunlight in that room. It is pretty bright in there during the day though being the window is 14' wide x 8' tall. Do you think I should still should put some sort of drapery over the window to protect the tank?

ErikFromNJ
02-18-2009, 03:14 AM
Once again, thank you everyone for the warm welcome!