PDA

View Full Version : Pleco in hiding

LaGBa1
02-16-2009, 07:30 PM
I have a 10 gallon tank which I got for my goldfish, Buddy-Nemo, who I have had for 8 1/2 years, so far. On February 3rd, I bought 2 plecos (I intended to buy only 1, but they were buy one get one free, so I went with 2). I have a huge algae problem, which I think is exacerbated by the fact the tank is in front of a window and gets a lot of indirect sunlight.

One of the plecos, Speedy, gets along with Buddy very well. They even sort of play tag together and brush each other with their tails. It is so fun to watch them.

Gonzo, on the other hand, pretty much stays against the filter box. If we move the filter she (he?) moves with it. She is always there, never in any other part of the tank. I am concerned for her health. If she is not moving around, she probably is not eating enough, right? While trying to figure out why, I learned that plecos often like to hide. I guess I need to get her some other hiding places.

What would be the best? Should I get some driftwood? Do they have to have wood or would other things, such as ceramic items, work?
I also need to know if I should feed them other food. There is a lot of algae, but I don't know how much they need to eat.

Thank you for any help.

Lorraine

William
02-16-2009, 07:33 PM
Can you see that stomach of the pleco. It easy to see if a pleco get the food it needs. If it don't the stomach looks sunken in.

Crispy
02-16-2009, 07:49 PM
plecos like wood.. they'll munch on the slimy coating that the wood gets after awhile. It's not necessary to their diet (like the royal plecos), but I think it does help (my common pleco has lived over 10 years and has always had wood in the tank)..... seems as though they love the tannins from wood too since they come from south american bogs and such. Many plecos also do most of their eating at night, so don't panic if he isn't moving much during the day. After all is dark for a few hours, turn on a lamp and he'll probably be munching on something in the tank. I give mine some veggies every other day also.

Algenco
02-16-2009, 07:49 PM
that's fairly common behavior to hide during the day.
As William said if it's plump it's healthy, place some food in the tank when you turn the light out

LaGBa1
02-16-2009, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the helpful suggestions. What type of food should I give them? Can I use people veggies? If so, which ones and how much?

So many questions. LOL

Crispy
02-16-2009, 08:11 PM
Thanks for the helpful suggestions. What type of food should I give them? Can I use people veggies? If so, which ones and how much?

I use sweet potato, cucumber, zucchini, and spinach... others use apples, peas, melon, squash... there are a number of different veggies they'll enjoy.. experiment and they'll let you know which are their favourites. Algae wafers are usually readily accepted by all plecos. My two plecos favorite so far is sweet potato.

LaGBa1
02-16-2009, 08:13 PM
This is so cool! I am so happy about finding this forum!

How small should I make the pieces? Will my goldfish also eat the veggies and if he does, will he be harmed by it?

Crispy
02-16-2009, 08:17 PM
This is so cool! I am so happy about finding this forum! How small should I make the pieces? Will my goldfish also eat the veggies and if he does, will he be harmed by it?

well, your plecos are still quite small. Just cut a slice about 0.5-1 inch thick and start with that... drop it in an hour or two before "lights out" attached to a spoon or fork or whatever to make it sink. Take it out in the morning and repeat every day or every other day and you'll begin to notice less and less of the veggies being left behind. Might take them a few days to feed like this, but once they do you'll have very healthy plecos! Oh, BTW, having smaller plecos, you may want to blanche the veggies before putting them in the tank to soften them up a bit.

The veggies shouldn't harm your fish as long as they are not rotting in the tank. My clown loaches munch on them as well.

LaGBa1
02-16-2009, 08:21 PM
Thank you. I will try it tonight.

Northernguy
02-16-2009, 09:39 PM
Those must be small plecos,I hope.
I'm sorry but a 10gal tank is way too small for 2 plecos or goldfish!

OscarFan
02-16-2009, 09:51 PM
i was thinking the same thing NG. Only the smallest plecos can go into a 10g. And no goldfish can go in a 10g.

LaGBa1
02-16-2009, 11:16 PM
Oh no. The tank is too small? I have no where to put a larger one. Buddy is about 4 inches long and the plecos about 2-2 1/2 inches long.

troy
02-16-2009, 11:24 PM
Oh no. The tank is too small? I have no where to put a larger one. Buddy is about 4 inches long and the plecos about 2-2 1/2 inches long.
Try giving them to your lfs(local fish store).

Crispy
02-17-2009, 01:53 AM

They'll take awhile still to outgrow the tank, but they definitely will. Keep 'em healthy and you won't have trouble getting rid of them when the time comes.

Sharkman
02-17-2009, 02:09 AM
yea i agree that the tank is way too tiny. I don't want to tell you how to handle your fish, but goldfish are coldwater fish and plecos are tropical fish. they prefer different temperatures. They are going to produce a ton of waste in that small tank so hopefully you are doing water changes liek twice a week so ammonia doesn't creep up to toxic levels. This is probably only a short term home for maybe a couple more months?