PDA

View Full Version : So confused.

kkkkyle7
02-16-2009, 02:23 PM
So 2 days ago I set up my 36 gallon bow front and added my friends gravel to help start with the bacteria. Then yesterday morning I woke up and I noticed the water was a little cloudy(it was clear when it first was set up). Yesterday afternoon I went to our LFS and bought Tetra SafeStart along with 5 neons and 2 guppies (the instructions on Tetra SafeStart say to add fish with it) I poured the Tetra SafeStart in the tank and let the fish float in the bag & slowly add water for about 20 minutes. The Tetra SafeStart made the water even a little more cloudy. I tested my water before putting the fish in and Ammonia/Nitrite was 0 and the PH was 7.2 and the temperature 78 degrees. The fish were all fine and seemed happy and then about 4 hours later the neons slowly started to go to the top and just sit there (but they were not gasping for air) and then they slowly started dying. 3 of them died last night and the other 2 this morning. Of course the guppies are fine and are swimming around happily. The neons had no signs of anything wrong with them. This morning I did a maybe 15% water change and checked my water and Ammonia/Nitrite was 0 and the PH was 7.2 and the temperature 78 degrees. The water is still cloudy. What is going on and what should I do next? :help:

kkkkyle7
02-16-2009, 02:37 PM
Oh another thing I added some fish food the first and second day also. The PH test kit is a Wardley Deluxe, and the Ammonia and Nitrite are Aquarium Pharmaceuticals.

escamosa
02-16-2009, 08:09 PM
Your friends gravel will help with the cycle, does he or she have an old filter cartridge that you could use aswell?
Cloudy water is normal for a tank that is cycling it wont last long.
As for the fish, stick with the guppy's they are a much hardier fish than the neons, you'll have to replace the neons, two guppy's in a tank that size wont be enough i don't think.
If you hav'nt got one already chuck an air stone in the tank, it will help the cycle along a bit to.
Apart from that just sit back and let the tank do it's thing. thumbs2:

kkkkyle7
02-16-2009, 08:25 PM
I have a air pump and I just put it in but I don't have one of those blue air stones, its okay right or do I need one? I have a check valve on it.

kkkkyle7
02-20-2009, 09:09 PM
Well its been a few days and the guppies are doing fine, the last 2 days the ammonia and nitrite have been 0. 4 days ago the ammonia was .25 and nitrite was 0 and then 3 days ago the ammonia was 0 and the nitrite was 0.25. The water also has cleared up, should I get some more fish?

escamosa
02-20-2009, 10:20 PM
You really need to wait until your nitrites are at 0, when that happens you do a let's say 40-50% water change to bring your nitrates to below 20 dont forget to treat your water first though with a dechlorinator.
Also do you have a ph test kit?
When you start adding more fish, do it slowly, just a couple each week or two so your tank can handle the extra amount of ammonia produced buy the fish. Stick with tough fish for a bit though something like Zebra Danios.

With the air pump, if you don't have an airstone yet it won't matter, just having the extra oxygen in the water will help all the good bacteria grow.

Be patient, your doing well by the sound of things.thumbs2:

kkkkyle7
02-20-2009, 10:47 PM
The nitrites have been zero for the past 2 days.

escamosa
02-20-2009, 10:57 PM
Ok, sorry about that, then go straight ahead and do that large water change, as i said in the previous answer, and get your nitrates down to below 20, check you ph level if you have a test kit for that and by all means grab a few fish when your ph is at a level that suits your fish. Zebra Danios nead a ph of between 6 and 8.thumbs2:

bushwhacker
02-21-2009, 12:33 AM
sounds like you just cycled your first tank to me, congrats but remember to keep a close eye on it test it often and be ready to do water changes when you need em 40-50% at a time these little 10-20 % changes dont do crap

kkkkyle7
02-21-2009, 04:18 AM
So im guessing the tetra safestart worked? It took less than a week to cycle.

terrapin24h
02-21-2009, 04:24 AM
the safe start and gravel from your friend's tank. You pretty much hit it from every direction.

--chris