PDA

View Full Version : Prazi Pro / Praziquantel

SpyderSpy6
02-16-2009, 02:06 PM
In need of some advice....

I have a sick discus fish and I have deduced that the only symptoms showing point to her being infected with gill flukes. I have established a quarantine tank and also did research on methods to cure her. I found that most LFS and websites recommend Prazi Pro which is comprised of praziquantel. Has anyone used this before? And what were your results? Is there anything I should be careful of, when I use this medecine?

I will be putting my fish in the quarantine later today (2/16/09) and I am hoping for the best. I did a test run in my orginal 75 just to give her a head start on the treatment and this stuff looks powerful. When I dosed the tank, it appeared to "latch on" to my discus. Any advice on treating the issue or ways of using the Prazi Pro would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for your help!!

Dkarc
02-17-2009, 03:37 AM
Prazi works fairly well for gill flukes. It will also treat for intestinal tapeworms. Follow bottle instructions and you should do fine. May I ask though why you think the fish has gill flukes, or what lead you to think along those lines?

-Ryan

SpyderSpy6
02-18-2009, 02:30 AM
The reasons I believe my fish is infected with gill flukes is because...

-the inside of her gills are discolored, and she has clamped and focused her breathing on one gill.
-her eating has slowly gotten worse as well as her health. I then noticed white spots, but not like ich.
-Everyone I have asked for advice has told me to use the prazi pro and to quarantine her.

So far the medicating has gone fairly well. My discus does seem lethargic and hasn't been eating. She went after a couple brine shrimp but that was it. I am hoping that this medication isn't too strong. She is breathing but she will take breaks from swimming, and I'm pretty sure its not good. I will only have her in the quarantine for a week and a couple days.

Dkarc
02-18-2009, 08:44 PM
Prazi will only treat for gill flukes and possibly other minor parasites. It may be a good idea that after you are done with the Prazi to use a good antiparasitic medication like formalin or Quik Cure. Add a little salt to the tank for now....a few tablespoons per 10 gallons.

-Ryan