PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Barb Makeover (Opions please!)

invadertoast
02-15-2009, 08:36 PM
*totally "typoed" the name of this thread, lol

My barb tank was really bland, so I tried using my retired plastic plants out of my old 29 gallon, but I didn't really like the look. I took advantage of Petco's 2 for 1 plant sale and grabbed some crypts and an onion plant, a piece of driftwood, and stole some plants out of my 23 (I had a baby sword in there that I didn't even know existed because it was behind my giant ball of java moss, lol) Would love to hear opinions, I didn't really think it out and just kinda jammed stuff in there! I'm not sure I like having a big rock, AND a piece of driftwood in there, but the BN needs driftwood and the rock has been my family's standard aquarium rock for the past 40+ years and there's no room for it in my 23, so I guess they're both staying. First pic is with plastic plants, second pic is after real plants. I also have some more smooth river rocks I could throw in there. Also, I took a quick video of the little guys because they are SO hard to photograph!!

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/invadertoast/th_MVI_3462.jpg (http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/invadertoast/?action=view&current=MVI_3462.flv)

Deleted User
02-15-2009, 08:45 PM
Great video and great shots.

I do prefer pic 2 but that is just me. The set up will look so much better once the plants have filled in the gaps and have become established. I have no probs with plastic plants but real plants just give a tank more life. :ssmile:

smaug
02-15-2009, 09:00 PM
I really like the looks of the green barbs,do they all get along?

invadertoast
02-15-2009, 09:18 PM
Thanks! I can't wait for the plants to fill in more, the java ferns seem to be sprouting baby plants but not actually getting any bigger, lol. I have a big one in one of my betta tanks that I might move into the barb tank, but I love how it looks and since it's in the tank in my bedroom I get to see it more, lol

I really like the looks of the green barbs,do they all get along?

Yup, they all get along great! I have 6 green and 5 striped tigers and have had no issues. I have two striped males that are roughly the same size and they do a "dominance wiggle" at eachother (just like my harlequin rasboras) but there is never any nipping going on. I have different sized fish in there and it doesn't seem to matter, my smallest ones seem to be growing (added them a few at a time and it just worked out that way size-wise) They all chase eachother but I'm pretty sure that's normal tiger behavior.

smaug
02-15-2009, 09:36 PM
Thats a good looking tank and good lookin fish too.Im sorry I didnt get some green tigers back when I had a good size school of them but now I have just 2 striped tigers that are nearing 6 years old I think.Tigers really like plants to hide in,they are always in my tall rubin swords.

troy
02-16-2009, 02:04 AM
Your setup looks good. A few more plants would help it look better.

Brookfish
02-17-2009, 02:33 AM
Looks good to me, nice job!!